韓国:ハロウィンの悲劇はどのようにして起こったのか BBC 2022/11/2
South Korea: How the Halloween tragedy unfolded
土曜日の夜、ソウルで発生した群衆事故で150人以上が死亡したことを受け、BBCはこの悲劇がどのように起こったのかを検証する。
After more than 150 people died in a deadly crush in Seoul on Saturday night, the BBC looks at how the tragedy unfolded.
集まる人々
Gathering crowds
数千人もの人々、主に若者が、韓国の首都ソウル中心部にある梨泰院(イテウォン)に集まっていた。
Thousands of mainly young people had converged in Itaewon in the centre of the South Korean capital of Seoul.
梨泰院は、バーやレストランがひしめく狭い通りや路地が多い、活気あふれる繁華街だ。
It's a lively party spot with many narrow streets and alleys filled with bars and restaurants.
一部の報道によると、その夜には10万人以上がこの地域に集まったという。Some accounts say more than 100,000 had descended on the area that evening.
この地域は梨泰院駅が最寄り駅となっており、ソーシャルメディア上の動画には、土曜日の夕方早くからハロウィンを祝うために大勢の人々が押し寄せる様子が映っている。
The neighbourhood is served by Itaewon metro station, and videos on social media show streams of people arriving to celebrate Halloween from early evening on Saturday.
32歳のヌヒル・アハメドさんは、その群衆の中にいました。インド出身のIT技術者である彼は近所に住んでおり、以前にも梨泰院のハロウィンパーティーに参加したことがありましたが、今年は状況が全く違っていたと言います。
Nuhyil Ahammed, 32, was in the crowd. The IT worker from India lives nearby and had been to Halloween parties in Itaewon before, but says things were very different this year.
「本当にひどかった」と彼はBBCに語りました。「午後5時頃からすでに通りには人が多すぎました。だから、7時か8時になったらどうなるんだろうと思っていました。」
"It was crazy," he told the BBC. "From 5pm there were too many people on the streets. So I was thinking, what's it going to be like from seven or eight?"
この頃、ソーシャルメディアには、梨泰院の通りが人でごった返していて危険を感じるという投稿が相次いでいました。
Around this time, social media messages were being posted online with people saying that the streets of the district were so crowded they felt unsafe.
梨泰院から警察への最初の通報があったのは現地時間18時34分でした。これは、メインストリートから少し入った路地で発生した死傷事故の数時間前のことです。
The first call to police from Itaewon came at 18:34 local time - several hours before the deadly crush took place in an alley off the main road.
「あの路地は今、本当に危険な状態です。人が上り下りしていて、下りてくる人がいるのに、上ってくる人もいるから、身動きが取れなくなって押しつぶされそうです。私はかろうじて抜け出せましたが、ものすごく混雑しています。何とかして状況をコントロールしてください」と通報者は訴えた。
"That alley is really dangerous right now people going up and down, so people can't come down, but people keep coming up, it's gonna be crushed. I barely made it to get out but it's too crowded. I think you should control it," the caller said.
警察官は、通報者が言っているのは、人の流れが悪くて「押しつぶされて転倒し、大事故につながる可能性がある」ということかと確認した。
The police officer asked if the caller meant that people weren't flowing well, that "they get crushed and fall, and then there's going to be a big accident?"
通報者は「そうです、今まさにそういう状況です」と答えた。
Yes, the caller responded - "this is so chilling right now".
警察官は最初の通報者に対し、「現場に行って確認する者を派遣する」と伝えたが、その後数時間にわたって大規模な増援は送られなかった。
The police officer told the first caller they would send someone "to go and check it out" - but no significant reinforcements were sent for hours.
当局は、その夜梨泰院に137人の警察官を配置していたと発表した。しかし、現場に押し寄せた数千人もの群衆に対して、警察官の数は明らかに圧倒的に不足していた。
Authorities said they had 137 officers on the ground at Itaewon that night. But they were clearly outmatched by the many thousands that flocked to the area.
映像には、最も深刻な混雑が発生したとされるハミルトンショッピングモール横の狭い路地に人々が殺到する様子が映っている。
Videos show people converging into a narrow alley next to the Hamilton shopping mall where the worst overcrowding was reported.
その後3時間半の間に、この地域から少なくとも10件の緊急通報があり、警察は異例の措置としてこれらの通報記録を公開した。
There were at least ten more emergency calls from the area in the next three and a half hours, for which the police have taken the unusual step of releasing transcripts.
その後、次の通報は2時間ほど後の20時09分頃から立て続けに入り始めました。
The next few calls started coming in about two hours later, from 20:09 onwards.
通報者たちは、押されてよろめき、怪我をする人々を目撃したと証言しました。20時53分には、ある通報者が路地にあるナイトクラブ付近の悲惨な状況を伝えました。
Callers described seeing people stumbling after they were pushed, and getting injured. At 20:53, one caller described a harrowing situation near a nightclub on the alley.
「押しつぶされそうです…たくさんの人が押しつぶされています…まさに地獄絵図です。」と、通報者は繰り返し「助けてください」と訴えました。
"I feel like I am going to get crushed… many people are being crushed… it is chaos." They repeatedly begged "please help us".
通報者には警察官が現場に派遣されると伝えられましたが、記録によると実際には派遣されていませんでした。警察への11件の通報のうち、警察官が出動したのはわずか4件だけでした。
The caller was reassured that police would be sent to the scene. But records show they were not, and out of the 11 phone calls made to police, they only mobilised officers for four of them.
警察は、事故発生直前の1時間にあたる21時07分以降の通報には一切対応しませんでした。
The police did not dispatch anyone for in response to calls made from 21:07 onwards - the hour leading up to the crush.
事故
The crush
午後10時11分、最後の通報(ごく短い通話だった)で、通報者は「ここでは人が押しつぶされそうだ」と述べた。
In the last call at 22:11 - one of the briefest made - the caller said: "It feels like people can get crushed here."
数分後、死者が出るほどの将棋倒し事故が発生した。
Minutes later, the deadly crush began.
午後10時15分頃、傾斜のある通路で複数の人が転倒した。路地の両側から押し寄せる群衆によって、逃げ場がなくなってしまった。
At about 22:15 a number of people on the sloping pathway fell over. Crowds pressing from both ends of the alley made it impossible to get out.
ソーシャルメディアに投稿された映像には、建物側面をよじ登って逃げようとする人々の姿が映っている。
Social media footage shows some people trying to climbing up the sides of the buildings to escape.
午後10時24分、消防当局は、10人が群衆の下敷きになり、呼吸困難に陥っているとの通報を受けたと発表した。
At 22:24, fire authorities say they received reports that 10 people were pushed down under the crowd and experiencing breathing difficulties.
当局によると、午後10時27分に最初の4台の救急車が出動し、数分後にさらに6台が派遣された。
At 22:27, the first four ambulances were dispatched, followed by six more a few minutes later, according to the authorities.
「後ろから人が押し寄せてきて、まるで波のようでした。どうすることもできませんでした」と、大勢の人混みに巻き込まれたアハメドさんは語った。
"People began pushing from behind, it was like a wave - there was nothing you could do," Mr Ahammed said, who found himself caught up in a huge crowd.
「人々は息苦しそうにしたり、叫んだり、押しつぶされたり、倒れたりしていました…とにかく人が多すぎました。」
"People were suffocating, screaming, getting squeezed, falling... there were just too many people"
午後11時までに、さらに30台の救急車と100名以上の国家災害医療支援チームが派遣され、午後11時19分には当局によってすべてのハロウィンイベントが中止された。
By 23:00, 30 more ambulances were deployed, as well as more than 100 national disaster medical assistance teams, with all Halloween events being called off by authorities at 23:19.
災害への対応
Dealing with disaster
現場の映像には、路上で数十人が犠牲者に心肺蘇生を試みている様子が映っている。遺体は青いシートで覆われて横たわっていた。
Videos from the scene show dozens of people attempting CPR on victims in the street. Dead bodies lay covered with blue sheets.
スペイン出身の24歳のアナさんも、ドイツ出身の19歳の友人メリッサさんと共に現場近くにいた。二人はバーにいて、午後11時頃に店を出ようとしたところ、救急車が路地に入ろうとしており、警察官が遺体や負傷者のために道を空けるよう人々に指示しているのを目にした。
Ana, a 24-year-old from Spain was also in the area, with her friend, Melissa, a 19-year-old from Germany. The pair were in a bar and tried to leave at about 23:00 when they saw ambulances trying to enter the alley and police asking people to move to make way for dead bodies and the injured.
「あまりにも多くの人が倒れていたので、一般の人々が心肺蘇生をしなければならない状況でした。それで、みんなが助けようと駆け寄ったんです」とアナさんはBBCに語った。
"There were so many people that they needed normal people to do CPR. So everyone started jumping in to help," Ana told the BBC.
最初の公式な死者数は午前2時30分に発表された。当局によると、59人が死亡し、150人が負傷した。1時間後には死者数は120人、負傷者は100人に増加し、夜が更けるにつれてさらに増え続け、間もなく150人を超えた。
The first confirmed death toll was issued at 02:30. Official said that 59 people had died and a further 150 were injured. An hour later the numbers had risen to 120 dead with 100 injured, and climbed further still as the night wore on, soon surpassing 150.
この悲劇が発生してから数時間以内に、韓国の尹錫悦(ユン・ソンニョル)大統領は緊急会議を開き、事故原因の調査を発表した。日曜日の朝、大統領は国家追悼期間を宣言した。
Within hours of the tragedy unfolding South Korea's President Yoon Suk-yeol had held an emergency meeting, and announced an investigation into the cause of the crush. On Sunday morning he announced a period of national mourning.
いいなと思ったら応援しよう!
よろしければ応援お願いします! いただいたチップはクリエイターとしての活動費に使わせていただきます!m(__)m