HelixVision

HelixVision

FIXED: Can't play Pinball FX3 anymore. Katanga fails
Hi there!

Can anyone help me on this?
My main game with HelixVision is Pinball FX3 and I was playing a lot and it was awesome.
But somehow now it stopped working because suddenly Katanga states a "NullErrorException...." and it never hooks with the game.
The game loads if I load it manually since HelixVision never actually worked loading the game (error 86). But since yesterday it keeps failing with Katanga so even If I load the game manually it doesn't work at all.

I just tried the recommendation to check with ci_beta release in the BETA tabs of the game, now the game loads correctly without error 86 but Katanga keeps failing with the same error reported "NullErrorException".

What should I do to play again?
Thanks!

SOLUTION: I reinstalled the Steam Client and HelixVision in a different drive/library and I can run and play PFX3 correctly now without the reported error.
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
Aug 7, 2020 @ 12:19am 
If you can post the katanga.log and output_log.txt from:

%appdata%\..\LocalLow\Katanga\Katanga\output_log.txt

I can take a look.


Might be worth doing a reset of all Katanga configurations to default using both triggers on VR controllers, or backtick+backspace at the same time when Katanga is in front.

Will work to reset all preferences, even if it's doing the slideshow by running it manually.
ok I was just trying to run Black Mesa and I got the exact same error.

Here is the output log: https://gofile.io/d/n8froM


BONUS question: Also I keep getting this error since the day 1 I bougth helixvision, I can use it but it is very annoying as each time I run this I have to close the message in VR:

<b>[SteamVR]</b> Error loading action manifest into SteamVR: NoData

This message popups in VR with the binding screen and I have to close it before the game starts. (when it works)
Aug 7, 2020 @ 5:42pm 
I've mentioned this before, but I'll repeat myself. You really need to clean up your system. Your Steam is corrupted, which is why you keep getting all these errors.

We test on 7 different setups and never see these errors, and you are the only one reporting them from the field.

Uninstall SteamVR and probably Steam itself, completely. Delete the folders that are left over. Then do a clean install of Steam and SteamVR.


Thank you for the log file- this also demonstrates that your Steam is corrupted.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at Valve.VR.SteamVR_Overlay.UpdateOverlay () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Valve.VR.SteamVR_Render+<RenderLoop>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
That's a fundamental part of SteamVR, that draws the Steam Dashboard and other overlays in VR. This is called directly by Unity, not by us. This is not our crash.

Corrupted systems do not get better on their own-they continue to get worse as errors propagate.


Regarding the VR bindings not being found, this is the error in the log:

<b>[SteamVR]</b> System.ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary. at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.UInt64,Valve.VR.SteamVR_Input_Sources].Add (UInt64 key, SteamVR_Input_Sources value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Valve.VR.SteamVR_Input_Source.Initialize () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Valve.VR.SteamVR_Input.Initialize (Boolean force) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Valve.VR.SteamVR.CreateInstance () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
The bindings are also corrupt, so they cannot be found.


I know you have said you would prefer not to reinstall, or do a clean Win10 install, but your system has serious damage. You would be well served by doing a completely clean install of Win10.

IIRC you always run everything with Admin privileges, which also means you have a good chance of having a virus or root kit on your system, that could cause these errors. It's time for some serious maintenance on your system.
Originally posted by Bo3b:
I've mentioned this before, but I'll repeat myself. You really need to clean up your system. Your Steam is corrupted, which is why you keep getting all these errors.

We test on 7 different setups and never see these errors, and you are the only one reporting them from the field.

Uninstall SteamVR and probably Steam itself, completely. Delete the folders that are left over. Then do a clean install of Steam and SteamVR.


Thank you for the log file- this also demonstrates that your Steam is corrupted.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at Valve.VR.SteamVR_Overlay.UpdateOverlay () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Valve.VR.SteamVR_Render+<RenderLoop>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
That's a fundamental part of SteamVR, that draws the Steam Dashboard and other overlays in VR. This is called directly by Unity, not by us. This is not our crash.

Corrupted systems do not get better on their own-they continue to get worse as errors propagate.


Regarding the VR bindings not being found, this is the error in the log:

<b>[SteamVR]</b> System.ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary. at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.UInt64,Valve.VR.SteamVR_Input_Sources].Add (UInt64 key, SteamVR_Input_Sources value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Valve.VR.SteamVR_Input_Source.Initialize () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Valve.VR.SteamVR_Input.Initialize (Boolean force) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Valve.VR.SteamVR.CreateInstance () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
The bindings are also corrupt, so they cannot be found.


I know you have said you would prefer not to reinstall, or do a clean Win10 install, but your system has serious damage. You would be well served by doing a completely clean install of Win10.

IIRC you always run everything with Admin privileges, which also means you have a good chance of having a virus or root kit on your system, that could cause these errors. It's time for some serious maintenance on your system.

ok I will try reinstalling Steam, but how can this be possible the only game that I had issues?
I'm using VorpX as well, and Virtual Desktop, both programs add overlays to the system I have also Antivirus programs. The admin permissions is because I'm doing some tests with Unity for other reasons but is not always.
The thing is that this is the only game that I have with issues, but no worries I can try to install Steam again to be sure.
Aug 7, 2020 @ 9:47pm 
Originally posted by Michelangelo:
ok I will try reinstalling Steam, but how can this be possible the only game that I had issues?
I'm using VorpX as well, and Virtual Desktop, both programs add overlays to the system I have also Antivirus programs. The admin permissions is because I'm doing some tests with Unity for other reasons but is not always.
The thing is that this is the only game that I have with issues, but no worries I can try to install Steam again to be sure.
Thanks for trying that as a check. It's always possible we are missing something on our end, the setup is pretty complicated.

It's interesting that you are doing Unity development, and potentially related if you changed the VR manifest.

However, we just got a second report of nearly identical problems on the ci_beta:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1127310/discussions/0/2793873675754424007/

Which makes it much less likely to be your machine.


The VR manifests did have a problem quite awhile ago, that happened because of renaming the exe file.

Would be worth doing a clean install of HelixVision as a test to, including deleting the leftover folder from your Steam Library.
Originally posted by Bo3b:
Would be worth doing a clean install of HelixVision as a test to, including deleting the leftover folder from your Steam Library.

It works now! I did both things I reainstalled Stem on a new Drive and also HelixVision on a different library because of your comment.
I have seen the same error on a different game but not on Pinball FX3 anymore. I will keep testing other games and will provide further feedback if I need to try any other fix. But this one is solved. I edited also the first post and title.

Thanks!!!
Aug 8, 2020 @ 8:36pm 
Originally posted by Michelangelo:
Originally posted by Bo3b:
Would be worth doing a clean install of HelixVision as a test to, including deleting the leftover folder from your Steam Library.
It works now! I did both things I reainstalled Stem on a new Drive and also HelixVision on a different library because of your comment.
I have seen the same error on a different game but not on Pinball FX3 anymore. I will keep testing other games and will provide further feedback if I need to try any other fix. But this one is solved. I edited also the first post and title.

Thanks!!!
Great! Very glad that you are back in operation.

I can't explain the error that you have seen there, and it's even more strange if it's working on FX3, but not on something else. I would definitely expect it to be all or none for this missing VR manifest error.
Aug 9, 2020 @ 3:30pm 
If you run into this problem of missing VR controls again, this post might help:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1127310/discussions/0/2793873675754424007/#c2793873675759111656

He found that the path specified in his Steam->Config->steamvr.settings file had the wrong path for the HelixVision app.

Since you deleted the full Steam folder, I think yours has already been reset and rebuilt to the correct path.

(I have no insight into how this might have been broken. Thanks for the effort to debug.)
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Aug 6, 2020 @ 5:43pm
Posts: 8