HelixVision

HelixVision

Abzu recent changes in depth perception 2021
I've been playing Abzu which is one of the best games to look and play on a VR headset IMO. But I've come across a few problems.

1. The game loads up with the Unreal Universal Menu OSD and I have to click on F2 on every launch.
2. The implementation of how the game renders 3d is different than when I played it 1 year ago. It's using some form of auto 3d separation and auto 3d convergence that prevents me from getting the extreme 3d and popout effects I use to get. I'm sure this works when you have a specific monitor in mind but in VR, it flattens out the 3d perception a lot. I have to increase the depth by 80% and it still doesn't look as good as it used to. What are the hotkeys to disable both auto keys so I render it the previous way.
< >
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
Mar 6, 2021 @ 2:54pm 
I just tested this on Win10 2004, Driver 452.06, Steam version. I'm not seeing exactly what you are seeing there, it is still running in geo-3D, and mostly correct. Turning up the separation via Ctrl-F4 and the convergence with Ctrl-F5 gives nice popout, and a deep 3D effect. Autoconvergence is disabled by default, so I'm not sure exactly what is happening in your case.

However, there are some broken effects here that are not very good. In particular the ocean bottom wave focus effects called caustics are at the wrong depth, so they don't look good. I will remove this game from our VR supported list as it's no longer working well.


This was broken because of a game developer update. They changed the game engine so they could ship it on PS5, and broke the PC version for us. It looks like we switched to Losti's Universal UE4 fix for our profile, from the original DarkStarSword fix.

You can possibly get back the old version of the game by using the Steamdb technique to find the correct depot to download. And would then use the flawless DarkStarSword fix.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=889624474

I'm going to get the DarkstarSword fix ready since I bet most of my problems are because of the new update anyways. I noticed how both eyes had some mismatch on certain surfaces and that really ruined the 3d for me.

I'm going to guess it's just a matter of running Abzu in hacker mode with DS fix and launching it right?
Mar 7, 2021 @ 9:11pm 
Originally posted by skyguy:
I'm going to get the DarkstarSword fix ready since I bet most of my problems are because of the new update anyways. I noticed how both eyes had some mismatch on certain surfaces and that really ruined the 3d for me.

I'm going to guess it's just a matter of running Abzu in hacker mode with DS fix and launching it right?
That's right, you can just run out of hacker mode, or modify the profile to use the older setup. The key part is getting an older build for the game. Worst case you can just manually install the DarkStarSword fix, and then PlayInVR will respect the fix that is installed and not overwrite with the UE4 Universal.
< >
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
Per page: 1530 50