ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

View Stats:
Music for this was... meh...
Long time AC fan.

I am not saying music was bad per se... To me, AC music is THE best in the industry. Main motivation for me to go thru campaign is to hear the music that sends emotional height to the moon. Heroism, somberness, epic, duty... nothing puts me in a fantasy of being a superhero that everyone look up to the sky and look at me a a savior like AC series does with its music.

The climax music for this was... I wouldn't say disappointment because that is way too negativ3, but it just did not bring it to the height the series usually does.

A lot of flavor of contemporary music, which may be okay here and there, but i just wanted the heaviness and seriousness of music that full orchestra can bring.

I personally thing AC 5 was the peak, and AC 7 was beautifully done, but this one just wasn't as memorable.
< >
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
That's mildly concerning ':/

I have CD albums for;

AC0
AC04
AC5
AC6
AC7

In my collection and was hoping that AC8 would bring similar energy.

Offtopic; I don't have a favourite; they all have lots of really good compositions, though I will concede that if I were pushed to it, AC5 would be in contention for my favourite, having the most tracks that I enjoy listening to, despite having 33 less tracks than AC7's soundtrack.
Originally posted by gnotheo:
Long time AC fan.

I am not saying music was bad per se... To me, AC music is THE best in the industry. Main motivation for me to go thru campaign is to hear the music that sends emotional height to the moon. Heroism, somberness, epic, duty... nothing puts me in a fantasy of being a superhero that everyone look up to the sky and look at me a a savior like AC series does with its music.

The climax music for this was... I wouldn't say disappointment because that is way too negativ3, but it just did not bring it to the height the series usually does.

A lot of flavor of contemporary music, which may be okay here and there, but i just wanted the heaviness and seriousness of music that full orchestra can bring.

I personally thing AC 5 was the peak, and AC 7 was beautifully done, but this one just wasn't as memorable.
Having had a chance to listen to the full 5h11m compilation that was uploaded by Zaptronix, the AC8 soundtrack is growing on me. Underwhelming is a valid opinion, but the OST is still pretty good. If/ when I do end up buying the CD album, it'll probably be my least favourite I'll admit.

Factoring out nostalgia and the use of chords/ melodies from previous titles ("Two On The Run" reusing elements from AC7's "Waiapolo Mountains" for example), there are still some pretty good arrangements.

I guess a large part of your overall sentiments largely boils down to how you feel about the vocal chorus which features in a number of key arrangements/ is the Lux Lunae/ Shadow Squadron leitmotif and how much of the previous title's soundtracks you've listened to. For me, it works but isn't as good a listen as 8492/ Mask/ Grabacr from AC5, which is probably unfair criticism as that's a pretty high bar to clear.
I could list many tracks from previous titles that cover a wide range of emotions extremely well, but that'd turn this post into a dissertation, heh

Mentioning the "full orchestra" is probably the key though because while there are good strings, brass, woodwind and percussion, I don't recall any notable piano usage in that 5+ hours of music (Into The Dusk, a fair bit of AC6 and LRSSG Briefing III come to mind) ':/

Still, if you have the time, give Zaptronix's prelim album a try;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ysV8twuo4Y
Extremely accurate take. Yes, AC is known for it's extremely dramatic orchestral scores (and a few ambient rock tunes).

This game's OST sounds like it belongs in an isekai. It's way too poppy. I liked the Lux Lunae themes though.
< >
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
Per page: 1530 50