Day of Defeat: Source

Day of Defeat: Source

View Stats:
Can we petition Valve to ban FastPath servers?
Filling your server with real steam accounts that are bots is so deceptive and scummy.
I dont care that this game is old and doesn't have updates or players like it used to.
These sort of practices are what keep people from ever coming back to the game.

BAN THESE SERVERS that skirt around advertising that they use BOTS.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
I really hate to say this but you think valve is gonna care enough to ban a bot server? They couldn't even ban the ARP server, and that one is well known to be the worst in the community besides FastPath or ANZAC....
The more important violation is how they sell in-game perks and bonuses, with prices plainly visible. This is a screenshot of their 'donate' page on their website from 2 weeks ago. I won't link the website directly, because that would technically be commercial advertising.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3795164791

So when you talk to Valve directly (not just Steam support) mention the infringement of their IP.

Valve might not care about Bot abuses, but they do care about money.
Also, a user was banned for posting info you can see in this thread...
https://steamcommunity.com/app/320/discussions/0/572669207837230050/

EDIT: oh, and this one in the DOD:S Game Hub:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/300/discussions/0/583933098654375854/

...and the ban was for a video that provided a guide and reasoning for petitioning Valve for EXACTLY what you are asking about in this topic... where he posted it. Like, what?

But anywho... Valve, after a review, likely wouldn't 'ban' the servers or their cloud network outright. Valve would just update the Source2013 Engine in a way that would stop FastPath's current practices, and then if FastPath tried any 'work arounds,' THAT is when FastPath would be banned from the Master Server list, like what the 3rd party devs did in the Source Mod game Fistful of Frags.

So yah, I tried finding out publicly why I can seemingly share the video fine, but other users can't... for whatever reason... But that thread was locked right away; however, the Moderator "Michael" apparently said we can ask steam support on this user's behalf. If any of you want to know more details, I would need to share those privately, as per the Rules & Guidelines of Steam Discussions.
valve has 0 control over these servers, these are rented and paid for by the server owners through 3rd party sources... I agree they are both ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ and nobody should entertain them or play in them.. but valve could not ban the servers if they wanted to. So kinda pissing in the wind here..
Originally posted by OTK Zera:
but valve could not ban the servers if they wanted to. So kinda pissing in the wind here..
Yes, they could, in any sense. Valve - if they felt like it - could C&D any hosting provider that was hosting FastPath servers using their IP. This probably also falls under the DCMA in the States, but yes, I agree that Valve would never go THAT far, which is mostly because they would not need to. Valve could make it so only 'trusted' gamerserver providers or networks could be added to their Master List index, but that would not be the first measure taken towards 'banning' FastPath's practices.

First, Valve controls the Source Engine at both the client and server level, so changes there would render FastPath unable to exploit gamers; and then the issue is simply done. Valve has directly addressed issues like this before, such as when it was possible to force a client to mine crypto with their CPU via the in-game MOTD browser back in 2017-18.

EDIT: And the Source Engine could prevent server redirections entirely and secure Steam Auth data (so FastPath can't lie and say clients are still connected after they leave,) and it can force any 'client' slot to always have [BOT] or [AFK] in their display name as well as be reported as either a [BOT] or [AFK] in any server browser. In hl2dm, the SF/eFPS league servers already do this (to an extent,) with competitive matches pausing whenever player is AFK or loses 'consistent' connectivity.

If FastPath was forced to be 'honest' in their dealings with us, they would not be an issue for anyone. And the Source Engine can force that issue.

If FastPath tried to circumvent our proposed changes to the Source Engine, Valve can make it so those severs are never seen by 'normal' Steam users on their Master Server, and it's really easy for users to report IP addresses that should removed from a such a Whitelist, if need be. Players would then need to connect to FastPath servers manually, and NONE of them could have any VAC protection or support. Valve would cut them off, and it would be like the players who try and play cracked Source Engine servers (with no Steam needed,) which would have no conveniences* of any Steam interconnectivity.

So, in theory, players could still connect to any 'banned' FastPath server, sure, but only after jerry-rigging their client and deliberately connecting via the developer console. And this would - in effect - kill FastPath, for their whole venture is predicated on tricking and trapping less-knowledgeable or under-informed gamers, who would never be exposed to FastPath if the Valve Master Server blocked their visibility to such 'casual' gamers.
I'd rather not, it's the only active server at the moment.
Originally posted by Χάρης:
I'd rather not, it's the only active server at the moment.
Do you have any evidence to back up such a claim?
Originally posted by The New Guy™:
Originally posted by Χάρης:
I'd rather not, it's the only active server at the moment.
Do you have any evidence to back up such a claim?
Ok I think the way I said it was a lil wrong .... I wanted to say that it's the most active server with many players. In fact as I was typing that reply it was indeed the only server with players. Some of them might be bots but not all of them are.
Originally posted by Codeman:
Filling your server with real steam accounts that are bots is so deceptive and scummy.
I dont care that this game is old and doesn't have updates or players like it used to.
These sort of practices are what keep people from ever coming back to the game.

BAN THESE SERVERS that skirt around advertising that they use BOTS.
Why hate the bots? They are only used during times of low players
Originally posted by Χάρης:
Ok I think the way I said it was a lil wrong .... I wanted to say that it's the most active server with many players. In fact as I was typing that reply it was indeed the only server with players. Some of them might be bots but not all of them are.
I asked for evidence that FastPath is actually active with human players. You provided none. I can expect that to never change, given how we speak of the self-proclaimed bot hell that is FastPath.

All you did was re-state the same point twice, with the second post containing more words.
Originally posted by SquiddyGaming:
Why hate the bots? They are only used during times of low players
The 'AFK' players-turned-bots are what that user was speaking about, which is a ToS violation, and we have told you this numerous times.
Originally posted by The New Guy™:
Originally posted by Χάρης:
Ok I think the way I said it was a lil wrong .... I wanted to say that it's the most active server with many players. In fact as I was typing that reply it was indeed the only server with players. Some of them might be bots but not all of them are.
I asked for evidence that FastPath is actually active with human players. You provided none. I can expect that to never change, given how we speak of the self-proclaimed bot hell that is FastPath.

All you did was re-state the same point twice, with the second post containing more words.
That's not what you said and I obviously didn't repeat myself ... check this link[www.steamserverbrowser.com], it shows how many players and bots the server has. Currently 30 people playing and 0 bots.

Also, an experienced player can tell the difference between real players and bots. I have joined servers where the " BOT " tag wasn't hidden and they play wayyy different. They literally walk in front of you and let you kill them. Not the case with fastpath.

edit : and as far as I know bots don't spam the flashlight and radio commands, something that happens often in the server. Can bots chat with others? I doubt it.

To further prove my point, since Valve patched the game to fix the badges from achievements not showing, you can now see the icons over players heads too. Or are you gonna say that they modified the bots to show the icons?
Oh, seems you are kinda new to how FastPath 'bots' operate. If you read what else I have posted, or more importantly the stuff I quoted from other developers, you would know that FastPath uses SourceTV demo data for their bots. And that means they can re-create and act-out ANY data of behavior from 'human' users. Also...

Originally posted by Χάρης:
164.132.201.109:27016, it shows how many players and bots the server has. Currently 30 people playing and 0 bots.
It shows even larger numbers in their hl2dm server, and it's all lies. First, they can mask bot data with false Steam Auth information through the Steam master server browser, but more importantly it's their "AFK-Autopilot" server-side SourceMods (which are rule-breaking like a MF) that make their VM-generated Steam Client instances play like bots. It’s one machine, 8-24 Steam Clients running, and they all go 'afk' with SourceMods that let their client get taken over by bot-code; then you have rule-breaking non-humam players tricking other people into think the server has genuine activity. That appears to be something you are entirely ignorant of, which could mean you are a victim of FastPath misinformation.

Originally posted by Χάρης:
Also, an experienced player can tell the difference between real players and bots. I have joined servers where the " BOT " tag wasn't hidden and they play wayyy different. They literally walk in front of you and let you kill them. Not the case with fastpath.
edit : and as far as I know bots don't spam the flashlight and radio commands, something that happens often in the server. Can bots chat with others? I doubt it.
Do they use Voice Chat in unique ways? Responsive and inflected based on any situation? Because that is currently the ONLY thing bots can NOT do yet in Source engine games. People are literally using AI to give themselves aim-assist when cheating nowadays, and that uses pure video frames outside of the game’s .exe entirely, which has been a huge problem on platforms like FaceIt. And, again, SourceTV demo data can capture any human data, which allows server ‘bot’ operators to either play those things back in the server or have bots use that behavior in a limited improvisational manner.

Originally posted by Χάρης:
To further prove my point, since Valve patched the game to fix the badges from achievements not showing, you can now see the icons over players heads too. Or are you gonna say that they modified the bots to show the icons?
Again, most FastPath bots are AFK steam accounts controlled by their scamming operators in VM environments, so yes, all such exploits are on the table.

And, again, real evidence of real gameplay would look like this:
[WARNING: This is a link to hl2dm gameplay that has vulgar Voice Chat and loud volume]
https://hevdm.site.nfoservers.com/ryk/HL2DM%20-%20CTF%20Chaos.mp4
If I got you the whole demo and not a clip, would be pretty obvious everyone was human.

But yeah, I come from hl2dm where we play pubs with sv_alltalk 1 most of the time. Still, there is plenty more content of 100% obvious real humans (via voice chat content) all over our user-administrated league scrimmages, such as eFPS.
Originally posted by The New Guy™:
Oh, seems you are kinda new to how FastPath 'bots' operate. If you read what else I have posted, or more importantly the stuff I quoted from other developers, you would know that FastPath uses SourceTV demo data for their bots. And that means they can re-create and act-out ANY data of behavior from 'human' users. Also...

Originally posted by Χάρης:
164.132.201.109:27016, it shows how many players and bots the server has. Currently 30 people playing and 0 bots.
It shows even larger numbers in their hl2dm server, and it's all lies. First, they can mask bot data with false Steam Auth information through the Steam master server browser, but more importantly it's their "AFK-Autopilot" server-side SourceMods (which are rule-breaking like a MF) that make their VM-generated Steam Client instances play like bots. It’s one machine, 8-24 Steam Clients running, and they all go 'afk' with SourceMods that let their client get taken over by bot-code; then you have rule-breaking non-humam players tricking other people into think the server has genuine activity. That appears to be something you are entirely ignorant of, which could mean you are a victim of FastPath misinformation.

Originally posted by Χάρης:
Also, an experienced player can tell the difference between real players and bots. I have joined servers where the " BOT " tag wasn't hidden and they play wayyy different. They literally walk in front of you and let you kill them. Not the case with fastpath.
edit : and as far as I know bots don't spam the flashlight and radio commands, something that happens often in the server. Can bots chat with others? I doubt it.
Do they use Voice Chat in unique ways? Responsive and inflected based on any situation? Because that is currently the ONLY thing bots can NOT do yet in Source engine games. People are literally using AI to give themselves aim-assist when cheating nowadays, and that uses pure video frames outside of the game’s .exe entirely, which has been a huge problem on platforms like FaceIt. And, again, SourceTV demo data can capture any human data, which allows server ‘bot’ operators to either play those things back in the server or have bots use that behavior in a limited improvisational manner.

Originally posted by Χάρης:
To further prove my point, since Valve patched the game to fix the badges from achievements not showing, you can now see the icons over players heads too. Or are you gonna say that they modified the bots to show the icons?
Again, most FastPath bots are AFK steam accounts controlled by their scamming operators in VM environments, so yes, all such exploits are on the table.

And, again, real evidence of real gameplay would look like this:
[WARNING: This is a link to hl2dm gameplay that has vulgar Voice Chat and loud volume]
https://hevdm.site.nfoservers.com/ryk/HL2DM%20-%20CTF%20Chaos.mp4
If I got you the whole demo and not a clip, would be pretty obvious everyone was human.

But yeah, I come from hl2dm where we play pubs with sv_alltalk 1 most of the time. Still, there is plenty more content of 100% obvious real humans (via voice chat content) all over our user-administrated league scrimmages, such as eFPS.
I am aware of the autopilot plugin which turns the players into bots, I use it sometimes when I go afk but not for more than 5 minutes. Yes there is voice chat and text that are responsive, I have chatted sometimes with some players. Voice commands are also used, but sometimes spammed for fun.
Originally posted by Χάρης:
I am aware of the autopilot plugin which turns the players into bots, I use it sometimes when I go afk but not for more than 5 minutes. Yes there is voice chat and text that are responsive, I have chatted sometimes with some players. Voice commands are also used, but sometimes spammed for fun.
So, again, do you have real evidence of this? Because if FastPath was actually holding genuine activity, where is the content? If you knew of the autopilot, why did you try and act like the server browser info would be sufficient for your case?

And if you are telling the truth with how you 'like' that your client can be 'taken control of' by the server... then you are in the extreme minority of Source gamers. This now has me thinking that you are either directly affiliated with FastPath or are just another poor soul who fell for their pay-2-win model and now have literally invested in their scam. But, it is statistically possible to be neither... barely.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
Per page: 1530 50