Space Hulk Ascension (Classic)

Space Hulk Ascension (Classic)

New (Classic) version just crashes/closes instantly after 1second.
Anyone else having the same isssue?
Originally posted by sneg_pawel:
We've identified the cause of the issue: some newer versions of Windows are missing a legacy library the game depends on. To fix it, please install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable.

Steam should now install it automatically when you launch the game or verify its files. If it doesn't, you can download it from Microsoft's official page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26999

We recommend installing both the x86 and x64 versions.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 30 comments
This is a new problem after the new 10th April 2026 game version.

If I revert to the ancient "public beta" from 6th March 2016... eg 10 year old version that's still available under Properties->Game Versions and Betas... then it works fine.

I've tried reinstalling and so on. Problem persists.
Could you send your DxDiag to support@sneg.io please?
I'm running into the same problem. Verified files, reinstalled the game, even updated graphics drivers. Still won't start up.
Had similar issue during gameplay after this update (Windows 11) where it caused full system crash/reset. After doing Event Viewer review, the issue was in the "Settings", "Graphics", and then choose Space Hulk Ascension game under the "Custom settings for applications" portion and change "GPU Preference" from "Let Windows decide (High Performance)" to your actual GPU graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 5070 for me).
Anyone find a fix yet? Game worked fine until they "updated" it, now completely unplayable. The thing is, even when I set it back to the old version, it still doesn't work.
Originally posted by TallTonyB:
Anyone find a fix yet? Game worked fine until they "updated" it, now completely unplayable. The thing is, even when I set it back to the old version, it still doesn't work.
Please share more details, including DxDiag, with us at support@sneg.io. The fact that legacy version doesn't work is unusual, as it's original, without any modifications. Have you tried workaround suggested by Dutch and the Cohiba?
It's accessible (on Win11) in Settings -> Graphics -> Custom settings for applications -> Space Hulk Ascension (can be listed as game.exe) -> Choose dedicated GPU
I've tried: reinstalling the game/verifying game files/turning off steam cloud and erasing local save files/Changing graphics settings outside of game for dedicated gpu instead of "let windows decide"/running as admin/running in compatibility mode/making sure windows and graphics drivers are fully up to date.

I've now gotten the legacy version to work (mostly - still lags a lot) since reinstalling and turning off steam cloud save.

I've sent my dxdiag to the support email
Originally posted by Dutch and the Cohiba:
Had similar issue during gameplay after this update (Windows 11) where it caused full system crash/reset. After doing Event Viewer review, the issue was in the "Settings", "Graphics", and then choose Space Hulk Ascension game under the "Custom settings for applications" portion and change "GPU Preference" from "Let Windows decide (High Performance)" to your actual GPU graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 5070 for me).

Crashed again today in the same manner even after doing the above steps I described. I don't understand the issue. Doesn't happen with any other games.
Maybe try a compatibility modes, don't have windows 11, so far still on windows 10. Then again, windows 11 has its own share of issues, including co pilot, which eats a lot of resources in the background. Windows 11 isn't exactly gamer friendly, compared to 10.
Originally posted by matthew:
Maybe try a compatibility modes, don't have windows 11, so far still on windows 10. Then again, windows 11 has its own share of issues, including co pilot, which eats a lot of resources in the background. Windows 11 isn't exactly gamer friendly, compared to 10.

Which one would you recommend? Newest Windows that can be chosen for compatibility on .exe file is Windows 8.
try that, Like I said, I don't have windows 11. With with a lot of crap from MS these days. windows is becoming a joke. There been some videos about how games preformed on windows 10 VS 11. Windows 10 wins hands down.

So, if your crashing on windows 11, it could be a few issues, including co pilot that eats ram and CPU power like crazy. and other exploits and issues. Plus some updates are really bad, and might also be a cause.

The real issue is, MS fired its Q&A department. So is using AI to write a lot of the code.
Originally posted by sneg_pawel:
Originally posted by TallTonyB:
Anyone find a fix yet? Game worked fine until they "updated" it, now completely unplayable. The thing is, even when I set it back to the old version, it still doesn't work.
Please share more details, including DxDiag, with us at support@sneg.io. The fact that legacy version doesn't work is unusual, as it's original, without any modifications. Have you tried workaround suggested by Dutch and the Cohiba?
It's accessible (on Win11) in Settings -> Graphics -> Custom settings for applications -> Space Hulk Ascension (can be listed as game.exe) -> Choose dedicated GPU

Same problem here. I tried setting my dedicated GPU as suggested - does not work. After starting the game the screen turns black, I see a green cursor for a moment, then back to steam.

I sent you my DxDiag info.
Same problem. Can't start the game.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 30 comments
Per page: 1530 50