見出し画像

エリック・アダムス氏(NY市長)の元顧問2人が別々の贈賄容疑で告発される The Guardian 2025/8/21

Two former Eric Adams advisers accused of bribery in separate schemes | Eric Adams | The Guardian

イングリッド・ルイス=マーティンは「7万5000ドル以上の賄賂」を受け取った容疑で起訴されている。ウィニー・グレコが記者に現金入りのチップス袋を渡したと報じられている。
Ingrid Lewis-Martin faces charges of accepting ‘more than $75,000 in bribes’ as report says Winnie Greco gave reporter a cash-filled chip bag

ニューヨーク市長エリック・アダムズ氏の長年の元顧問2人が、今週、別々の贈賄計画に関与したとして告発された。
Two former longtime advisers to the New York City mayor, Eric Adams, have been accused this week of being involved in separate bribery schemes.

マンハッタンのアルビン・ブラッグ地方検事は木曜日、アダムズ氏の元首席顧問であるイングリッド・ルイス=マーティン氏の起訴状を提出したと発表した。
On Thursday, Manhattan district attorney Alvin Bragg announced the indictment of Ingrid Lewis-Martin, Adams’s former chief adviser.

ルイス=マーティン氏は、2022年3月から2024年11月の間に、市長首席顧問を務めていた間に行われたとされる「広範囲にわたる一連の贈賄共謀」の一環として、「7万5000ドル以上の賄賂」を受け取ったとして告発されている。
She is accused of accepting “more than $75,000 in bribes” as part of a “wide-ranging series of bribery conspiracies”, which prosecutors allege took place between March 2022 and November 2024 while she served as chief adviser to the mayor.

ブラッグ氏の事務所からの報道発表によると、ルイス=マーティン氏は、息子のグレン・マーティン2世氏を含む他の8人の共謀罪で、4件の別々の起訴状で起訴された。
Lewis-Martin was charged in four separate conspiracy indictments, alongside eight other co-defendants, including her son, Glenn Martin II, according to a news release from Bragg’s office.

彼女は、第4級共謀罪4件と第2級収賄罪4件で起訴されている。
She faces four counts of conspiracy in the fourth degree and four counts of bribe receiving in the second degree.

ルイス=マーティン氏と息子は昨年、贈賄、マネーロンダリング、共謀罪の別々の罪で起訴されていた。両名とも無罪を主張した。
Last year, Lewis-Martin and her son were previously indicted on separate charges of bribery, money laundering and conspiracy. Both pleaded not guilty.

ABCニュースによると、ルイス=マーティン氏は水曜日の時点で、アダムズ氏の再選キャンペーンのボランティア顧問として活動していた。
As of Wednesday, Lewis-Martin was working as a volunteer adviser on Adams’ re-election campaign, according to ABC News.

ルイス=マーティン氏の弁護士アーサー・L・アイダラ氏はニューヨーク・タイムズ紙への声明で、依頼人の罪状認否は木曜日に行われる予定であり、地方検事は容疑について一切詳細を明らかにしていないと述べた。
Lewis-Martin’s attorney, Arthur L Aidala, said in a statement to the New York Times that his client would be arraigned on Thursday and said that the DA had provided no details about the charges.

「彼女は常に誠実に市に奉仕し、全ての容疑に対し断固として無罪を主張するだろう」と声明は述べている。「詳細は不明だが、イングリッドは一つだけ確信している。それは、法律を犯しておらず、無罪だということだけだ。」
“She has always served the city with integrity, and she will firmly plead not guilty to every charge,” the statement said. “While the specifics remain unclear, Ingrid is certain of one thing – she has broken no laws, and she is not guilty.”

新たな起訴状が提出されたのは、アダムズ氏の長年の顧問を務めたウィニー・グレコ氏が、FBIの捜査下で辞任したものの、最近はアダムズ氏の再選キャンペーンにボランティアとして参加していたことが報じられた翌日の水曜日、選挙イベントの後、記者に現金が詰まったポテトチップスの袋を渡したという報道があったばかりだ。
The new indictment came just a day after it was reported that another former longtime adviser to Adams, Winnie Greco, who resigned while under FBI scrutiny but had been recently volunteering for his re-election campaign, gave a reporter a potato chip bag filled with cash onWednesday after a campaign event.

グレコ氏の弁護士は、現金は賄賂の意図はなかったと主張した。
A lawyer for Greco insisted the cash was not an attempted bribe.

ニューヨーク市の地元ニュースサイト「ザ・シティ」が、グレコ氏がポテトチップスの袋を彼女の手に押し付け、その中に100ドル札と20ドル札数枚が入った赤い封筒が入ったと記者が報じた数時間後に、この事件を報じた。New York City local news site the City reported the incident hours after one of its reporters said Greco had pressed a bag of potato chips into her hands containing a red envelope with a $100 bill and several $20 bills.

記者のケイティ・ホナン氏は、グレコ氏の行動を、中国系アメリカ人コミュニティにおけるアダムズ氏のための重要な資金調達活動として過去に精査していた。
The reporter, Katie Honan, had scrutinized Greco’s conduct in the past as a significant fundraiser for Adams in the Chinese American community.

グレコ氏の弁護士スティーブン・ブリル氏はAP通信に対し、今回の事態は「誇張されている」と述べた。
Greco’s attorney, Steven Brill, told the Associated Press that the situation was being “blown out of proportion”.

「これは現金の入った袋ではありませんでした」とブリル氏はメールで述べた。「中国文化では、友情や感謝の気持ちを表すためにお金を贈ることがよくあります。そして、ここで行われたのはそれだけです。ウィニーの行為は、純粋に親切心から生まれたものです。」
“This was not a bag of cash,” Brill wrote in an email. “In the Chinese culture, money is often given to others in a gesture of friendship and gratitude. And that’s all that was done here. Winnie’s intention was born purely out of kindness.”

グレコ氏がなぜホナン氏にそのような行為をしたかったのかと尋ねられると、ブリル氏は「彼女は記者を知っていて、好意を抱いているのです」と答えた。
Asked why Greco wanted to make such a gesture to Honan, Brill said: “She knows the reporter and is fond of her.”

市によると、グレコ氏は後に「間違い」を犯したと謝罪した。
The City said Greco later apologized, saying she made “a mistake”.

市によると、グレコ氏は「本当に申し訳ありません。これは文化的な問題です。分かりません。理解できません。本当に申し訳ありません。今、とても辛い気持ちです」と述べた。
“I’m so sorry. It’s a culture thing. I don’t know. I don’t understand. I’m so sorry. I feel so bad right now,” Greco said, according to The City.

報道を受け、エリック・アダムズ氏の再選陣営は、グレコ氏を無給ボランティアとして活動することを停止し、アダムズ氏はグレコ氏の行為について事前に知らなかったと述べた。
In response to the report, Eric Adams’ re-election campaign said it had suspended Greco from further work as an unpaid volunteer and that Adams had no prior knowledge of Greco’s actions.

シティ紙によると、グレコ氏はハーレムにあるアダムズ陣営本部の開設式に出席した後、ホーナン氏にホールフーズ・マーケット内で会うようテキストメッセージを送っていたという。
The City reported that Greco had texted Honan to meet her inside a Whole Foods store after they both attended the opening of Adams’s campaign headquarters in Harlem.

報道によると、グレコ氏がポテトチップスの袋を渡した時、ホーナン氏は最初はただの軽食だと思い、受け取れないと言ったが、グレコ氏は受け取ろうとしなかったという。
When given the chip bag, Honan at first thought Greco was just giving her a snack and said she could not accept it but Greco insisted, according to the report.

ホナン氏は現場を離れ、後に金を発見し、グレコ氏に電話をかけ、受け取れないと伝え、返還を求めた。グレコ氏は後で会えると答えたものの、その後は連絡が途絶えたと報道されている。
Honan left and later discovered the money, then called Greco and told her she could not accept it and asked to give it back. Greco said they could meet later but then stopped responding, the report said.

グレコ氏はその後、市に電話をかけ直し、「私は善良な人間であろうと努めている」と述べ、記事の掲載を控えるよう要請したと、同報道機関は報じている。
Greco later called the City back and asked them not to do a story, saying: “I try to be a good person,” the news outlet reported.

市庁舎の広報担当者はコメントを控えた。アダムズ陣営のスタッフ、トッド・シャピロ氏は、グレコ氏は選挙運動においていかなる立場も持っていないと述べた。
A City Hall spokesperson declined to comment. An Adams campaign aide, Todd Shapiro, said Greco holds no position in the campaign.

「これらの報道に衝撃を受けています」とシャピロ氏は述べた。「アダムズ市長はこの件について事前に何も知りませんでした。
“We are shocked by these reports,” Shapiro said. “Mayor Adams had no prior knowledge of this matter.

市長は常に最高の倫理的・法的基準を求めており、ニューヨーク市の人々のために誠実に奉仕することに全力を注いでいます。」
He has always demanded the highest ethical and legal standards, and his sole focus remains on serving the people of New York City with integrity.”

グレコ氏の公文書に記載されている電話番号にテキストメッセージを送ったが、すぐには返答がなかった。
A text message sent to a phone number listed in public records for Greco was not immediately responded to.

グレコ氏は昨年10月にアダムズ氏のアジア担当部長を辞任して以来、時折アダムズ氏の選挙活動に姿を現していた。
Since she resigned as Adams’ director of Asian affairs last October, Greco has occasionally been seen at his campaign events.

グレコ氏は長年にわたり、市内の中国系アメリカ人コミュニティとアダムズ氏の連絡係を務めていた。また、アダムズ氏の選挙活動のための資金調達にも尽力していた。
Greco had served as Adams’s longtime liaison with the city’s Chinese American community. She was also a prolific fundraiser for Adams’ campaigns.

2024年2月、連邦捜査官はグレコ氏の所有する2つの不動産を捜索した。
In February 2024, federal agents searched two properties belonging to Greco.


当局は捜査内容について説明しておらず、グレコ氏は犯罪で起訴されていないが、連邦捜査の過程で辞任または解雇されたアダムズ氏の側近の一人となった。
Authorities didn’t explain what the investigation was about, and Greco has not been charged with committing a crime, but she was one of a number of close aides to Adams who resigned or were fired amid the federal scrutiny.

市当局は、捜査とグレコ市長の行動について広範囲に報道してきた。その中には、選挙運動ボランティアが、グレコ市長が自宅の改修を手伝ってくれれば市の職に就けると約束したという申し立ても含まれている。
The City has reported extensively on the investigation and Greco’s conduct, including a campaign volunteer’s allegations that Greco had promised to get him a city job if he helped renovate her home.

アダムズ市長に対する別の連邦捜査は、2024年に起訴状を提出するに至った。アダムズ市長は、トルコ当局者らから違法な選挙資金や旅行割引を受け取り、その報復として、トルコが消防検査に合格せずに外交団の建物を開設するのを支援するなどしたとされている。
A separate federal investigation into Adams led to a 2024 indictment accusing the mayor of accepting illegal campaign contributions and travel discounts from a Turkish official and others – and returning the favors by, among other things, helping Turkey open a diplomatic building without passing fire inspections.

司法省が検察に訴追を取り下げるよう命じたことを受け、連邦判事は4月にこの訴訟を棄却した。この訴訟は、ドナルド・トランプ大統領の不法移民取り締まりを支援する市長の権限を阻害していると主張した。
A federal judge dismissed the case in April after the justice department ordered prosecutors to drop the charges, arguing that the case was interfering with the mayor’s ability to aid Donald Trump’s crackdown on illegal immigration.



いいなと思ったら応援しよう!

世界一の多言語翻訳家を目指して勉強中 よろしければ応援お願いします! いただいたチップはクリエイターとしての活動費に使わせていただきます!m(__)m