見出し画像

ブラウン大学とMIT教授銃撃事件の容疑者が死亡しているのが発見されたと警察が発表 BBC 2025/12/19

Brown University and MIT professor shooting suspect found dead, police say

先週ブラウン大学で発生した銃乱射事件の容疑者が、複数州に及ぶ6日間の捜索の後、ニューハンプシャー州セーラムの倉庫で遺体で発見されたと警察は発表した。
The suspect ‍in ​last week's ‌mass shooting at Brown University has been found dead in a storage facility in Salem, New Hampshire, following a six-day multi-state manhunt, police say.

容疑者はクラウディオ・ネベス・ヴァレンテ容疑者(48歳)と特定された。ヴァレンテ容疑者はポルトガル人で、約25年前にロードアイランド州プロビデンスにある同大学で学んでいた。
They identified the suspect as Claudio Neves Valente, 48, a Portuguese national who studied at the university in Providence, Rhode Island, about 25 years ago.

プロビデンス警察署長のオスカー・ペレス氏は、ビデオ映像と一般からの情報に基づき、捜査員がレンタカー店にたどり着き、そこで容疑者の名前を発見し、容疑者と照合したと述べた。
Providence police chief Oscar Perez said video evidence and tips from the public led investigators to a car-rental location where they found the suspect's name and matched him to their person of interest.

当局は、ヴァレンテ容疑者が12月13日のブラウン大学銃乱射事件の2日後にマサチューセッツ工科大学(MIT)の教授を殺害したとも考えていると述べている。
Officials said they also believe Valente killed a Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) professor two days after the 13 December shooting at Brown.

初期調査では、ヴァレンテ容疑者は自ら銃で撃ち、死亡したと示唆されており、警察は彼が倉庫内にどれくらいの時間いたかについてコメントできなかった。
Initial findings suggest Valente died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, and police were unable to comment on how long he might have been inside the storage facility.

当局はどちらの襲撃についても動機を明らかにしていない。
Authorities have not suggested a motive for either attack.

ブラウン大学のクリスティーナ・パクソン学長は、ヴァレンテ容疑者は2000年秋から翌年春までアイビーリーグのブラウン大学に在籍し、物理学の博士号取得を目指していたと述べた。
Brown University president Christina Paxson said that Valente was enrolled at the Ivy League school from the autumn of 2000 to the following spring, and was studying for a PhD in physics.

彼女は、ヴァレンテ容疑者はブラウン大学と「現在、積極的な関係はない」と述べた。
He had "no current active affiliation" to Brown, she said.

当局は、ヴァレンテ容疑者が月曜日、プロビデンスから約80キロ離れたブルックラインにある自宅で、MIT教授ヌーノ・F・ゴメス・ロウレイロ氏(47歳)を射殺したとみていると述べた。
Officials said they believe Valente shot and killed MIT professor Nuno F Gomes Loureiro, 47, on Monday at his home in Brookline, which is about 50 miles (80km) from Providence.

警察によると、被害者と容疑者は1990年代後半にポルトガルの同じ大学で学んでいたという。
Both the victim and the suspect had studied at the same university in Portugal in the late 1990s, police said.

ブラウン大学の防犯カメラの映像と目撃者から容疑者の車両が特定され、両事件の関連性が明らかになった。
The cases were linked when the suspect's vehicle was identified via CCTV footage and a witness at Brown University.

ロードアイランド州司法長官ピーター・ネロニャ氏によると、ヴァレンテ氏は鞄と銃器2丁を所持した状態で遺体で発見された。近くの車に残されていた証拠が、プロビデンスの現場と一致した。
Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha said Valente was found dead with a satchel and two firearms. Evidence in a car nearby matched to the scene in Providence.

同じ車が、教授の射殺現場近くでも目撃された。
The same car was spotted near the scene of the professor's shooting.

「容疑者は今夜遺体で発見されましたが、私たちの仕事はまだ終わっていません。解明すべき疑問は数多くあります」と、FBIのテッド・ドックス特別捜査官は述べ、地元当局の捜査を支援するため、約500人の捜査官を派遣したと付け加えた。
"Even though the suspect was found dead tonight our work is not done. There are many questions that need to be answered," FBI Special Agent-in-Charge Ted Docks said, adding that the agency had deployed approximately 500 agents to assist local authorities in the investigation.

マサチューセッツ州選出のリア・B・フォーリー州検事は、ヴァレンテ容疑者は追跡を「難読化」する携帯電話を使用していたと述べた。
Leah B Foley, the US state attorney representing Massachusetts, said Valente was using a phone that "obfuscated" tracking.

「彼は追跡の痕跡を隠すのに巧妙な手腕を発揮していました。」
"He was sophisticated in hiding his tracks."

一方、米国は銃撃事件を受けてグリーンカード抽選制度を停止し、クリスティ・ノエム国土安全保障長官はヴァレンテ氏を「我が国への入国を認めるべきではなかった」と述べた。
Meanwhile, the US has suspended its green card lottery scheme in the wake of the shooting, with Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem saying Valente "should never have been allowed in our country".

ノエム長官によると、ポルトガル国籍のヴァレンテ氏は2017年に多様性抽選移民ビザプログラム(DV1)を通じて米国に入国し、グリーンカードを取得したという。
Noem said the Portuguese national had entered the US through the diversity lottery immigrant visa programme (DV1) in 2017 and was granted a green card.

このプログラムは、米国への移民率が低い国からの応募者の中から無作為抽出を行い、毎年最大5万件のビザを発給している。
The programme makes up to 50,000 visas available each year through a random selection process among entries from countries with low rates of immigration to the US.

ノエム長官は、ドナルド・トランプ大統領の指示を受け、「この破滅的なプログラムによってこれ以上の米国人が被害を受けないようにするため」、このビザ制度を一時停止した。
She has paused the visa scheme under President Donald Trump's direction to "ensure no more Americans are harmed by this disastrous programme".

海外記事の和訳まとめ|世界一の多言語翻訳家を目指して勉強中


いいなと思ったら応援しよう!

世界一の多言語翻訳家を目指して勉強中 よろしければ応援お願いします! いただいたチップはクリエイターとしての活動費に使わせていただきます!m(__)m