ワシントン・ポストの最高経営責任者、大量解雇後に辞任 BBC 2026/2/9
Washington Post chief executive Will Lewis steps down after mass lay-offs
ワシントン・ポスト紙は、大量レイオフを数日前に指揮したCEOが辞任すると発表した。
The chief executive of the Washington Post is stepping down, the newspaper has announced, days after overseeing mass lay-offs.
ウィリアム・ルイス氏は社員へのメッセージで、辞任は適切な時期であり、新聞の将来を確保するために「難しい決断」を下したと述べた。
William Lewis said in a message to staff that it was the right time to leave and that "difficult decisions" had been made to ensure the paper's future.
同紙は水曜日に、従業員の3分の1を削減し、スポーツと国際ニュースの報道を大幅に縮小すると発表した。
The newspaper had announced on Wednesday that it was cutting a third of its workforce, dramatically scaling back its coverage of sport and international news.
この決定は多くのジャーナリストから非難され、億万長者のオーナーであるジェフ・ベゾス氏への批判を招いた。編集長のマット・マレー氏は、今回の削減は「安定」をもたらすと述べた。
The decision was condemned by many journalists and prompted criticism of the Post's billionaire owner, Jeff Bezos. Executive editor Matt Murray said the cuts would bring "stability".
ワシントン・ポスト紙は、ルイス氏の退任を発表した際、昨年同紙の最高財務責任者(CFO)に就任したジェフ・ドノフリオ氏が、発行人兼CEO代行を務めると発表した。
Jeff D'Onofrio, who joined as the newspaper's chief financial officer last year, will serve as acting publisher and CEO, the Post said as it announced Lewis's departure.
元ダウ・ジョーンズのCEOで、ウォール・ストリート・ジャーナルの発行人でもあるルイス氏は、2023年にワシントン・ポスト紙のCEOに任命された。
A former Dow Jones chief executive and publisher of the Wall Street Journal, Lewis was appointed to the role at the Washington Post in 2023.
同氏は、同紙の財務損失の回復に努める中で、購読者や従業員からの批判に直面してきた。
He has faced criticism from subscribers and employees as he tried to reverse financial losses at the daily.
大量解雇を受け、木曜日、ワシントンD.C.のワシントン・ポスト本社前では数百人が抗議活動を行った。解雇対象には、同紙の中東担当スタッフ全員とキエフ駐在のウクライナ特派員が含まれていた。
Hundreds protested in front of the paper's headquarters in Washington DC on Thursday after the mass lay-offs, which included the paper's entire Middle East staff and its Kyiv-based Ukraine correspondent.
ワシントン・ポストの組合であるワシントン・ポスト・ギルドの組合員に与えられる保護の対象外となる、現地採用や米国外の子会社から採用された外国人従業員を支援するため、GoFundMeのページが開設された。彼らは、突然の住居、ビザ、福利厚生の喪失に直面する可能性がある。
A GoFundMe page has been set up to support international employees hired locally or from subsidiaries outside the US - and therefore not eligible for protections afforded to members of the Washington Post Guild, the paper's union - who may be facing a sudden loss of housing, visas or benefits.
「解雇された人の中には、電気のない生活を送る戦地の記者、ソウルとロンドンで毎日世界中の残虐行為を取材する速報ニュースの拠点である記者や編集者、ほんの数ヶ月前に海外に移住するために人生を一変させた特派員、そして私たちのジャーナリズムが不可能である不可欠な現地スタッフもいる」と主催者のミシェル・リーさんは土曜日のページに書いた。
"Among those laid off are reporters in war zones living without electricity, breaking news hub reporters and editors in Seoul and London who cover atrocities around the world every day, correspondents who upended their lives to move overseas just a few months ago, and indispensable local staff without whom our journalism would be impossible," organiser Michelle Lee wrote on the page on Saturday.
「彼らは献身的で才能豊かで、多言語を操り、素晴らしい集団です。こんな目に遭うべきではありません。」
"They are a dedicated, talented, multilingual, brilliant bunch. They don't deserve this."
このページは、日曜夜の時点で目標額20万ドルに対し、18万ドル(13万ポンド)以上を集めました。
The page had raised more than $180,000 (£130,000) out of a target of $200,000 as of Sunday evening.
組合が米国スタッフ向けに開設した別のGoFundMeページでは、すでに50万ドル以上が集まっています。
A separate GoFundMe page organised by the guild for US staff has already raised more than $500,000.
2021年までワシントン・ポスト紙の編集長を務めたマーティ・バロン氏は、今回の人員削減は「世界有数の報道機関の歴史における最も暗い日々の一つ」だと述べた。
Marty Baron, the Post's executive editor until 2021, said the cuts ranked "among the darkest days in the history of one of the world's greatest news organisations".
ルイス氏の辞任は、近年、一連の人員削減と物議を醸す編集方針の決定に直面してきたワシントン・ポスト紙にとって、新たな激動の兆しとなる。
The departure of Lewis marks the latest upheaval for the leading US newspaper, which has seen a series of staff cuts and controversial editorial decisions in recent years.
2024年のアメリカ大統領選挙の直前、アマゾン創業者のベゾス氏は、数十年にわたる伝統を破り、同紙が大統領候補を支持しないことを決定しました。
Shortly before the 2024 US presidential election, Bezos, the founder of Amazon, broke with decades of tradition by deciding the newspaper would not endorse a presidential candidate.
アマゾンは1970年代以降、ほとんどの大統領選挙で候補者を支持してきましたが、いずれも民主党員でした。
The newspaper had endorsed a candidate in most presidential elections since the 1970s - all of whom had been Democrats.
この決定は広く批判され、数万人の購読者を失うことになりました。
The move caused widespread criticism and led to the loss of tens of thousands of subscribers.
一方、昨年2月、ベゾス氏が同紙の論評欄を「個人の自由と自由市場」に重点を置くことを決定したことを受け、オピニオン担当編集者は辞任した。
Meanwhile, the opinion editor resigned in February last year when Bezos decided to focus the paper's comment section on "personal liberties and free markets".
2013年に同紙を買収したベゾス氏は、こうした見解に反対する記事は掲載しないと明言した。
Bezos, who acquired the newspaper in 2013, said pieces opposing those views would not be published.
いいなと思ったら応援しよう!
よろしければ応援お願いします! いただいたチップはクリエイターとしての活動費に使わせていただきます!m(__)m