見出し画像

スパイ、ドローン、ガスバーナー:米国はいかにしてマドゥロを捕らえたのか BBC 2025/1/4

Spies, drones and blowtorches: How the US captured Maduro

数ヶ月にわたり、米国の諜報員はベネズエラのニコラス・マドゥロ大統領のあらゆる動きを監視していた。
For months, US spies had been monitoring Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro's every move.

ベネズエラ政府関係者を含む小規模なチームが、63歳のマドゥロ大統領の寝床、食事、衣服、そして軍高官によると「ペット」までも監視していた。
A small team, including one source within the Venezuelan government, had been observing where the 63-year-old slept, what he ate, what he wore and even, according to top military officials, "his pets".

そして12月初旬、「絶対的決意作戦」と名付けられた計画された作戦が最終決定された。これは数ヶ月にわたる綿密な計画とリハーサルの成果であり、米軍精鋭部隊が入国ルートの練習のために、マドゥロ大統領のカラカスにある隠れ家の正確な原寸大のレプリカを製作するなど、綿密な準備とリハーサルが行われた。
Then, in early December, a planned mission dubbed "Operation Absolute Resolve" was finalised. It was the result of months of meticulous planning and rehearsals, which even included elite US troops creating an exact full-size replica of Maduro's Caracas safe house to practise their entry routes.

この計画は、冷戦以来、ラテンアメリカにおける異例の米国軍事介入に相当し、厳重に秘匿されていた。議会への事前の通知や協議は行われなかった。詳細な計画が固まると、軍高官たちは発動に最適な条件が整うのを待つしかなかった。
The plan - which amounted to an extraordinary US military intervention in Latin America not seen since the Cold War - was closely guarded. Congress was not informed or consulted ahead of time. With the precise details set, top military officials simply had to wait for the optimal conditions to launch.

当局者は土曜日、奇襲効果を最大限に高めたかったと述べた。4日前にドナルド・トランプ米大統領が承認した際に計画が頓挫したが、軍は天候の回復と雲量の減少を待つことを選択した。
They wanted to maximise the element of surprise, officials said on Saturday. There was a false start four days earlier when US President Donald Trump gave approval, but they opted to wait for better weather and less cloud cover.

「クリスマスから新年にかけての数週間、米軍の兵士たちは適切なきっかけが訪れ、大統領が行動を命じるのを辛抱強く待っていた」と、国の最高位の軍人であるダン・ケイン将軍は土曜朝の記者会見で述べた。
"Over the weeks through Christmas and New Year, the men and women of the United States military sat ready, patiently waiting for the right triggers to be met and the president to order us into action," General Dan Caine, the nation's highest-ranking military officer, told a news conference on Saturday morning.

「幸運を祈ります」
'Good luck and godspeed'

大統領から作戦開始の指示が出されたのは、金曜日の東部標準時22時46分(土曜日のグリニッジ標準時3時46分)だった。
The order from the president to begin the mission finally came at 22:46 EST on Friday (03:46 GMT on Saturday).

「4日前、3日前、2日前に作戦を開始する予定だったのに、突然視界が開けた。そこで『行け』と指示した」と、トランプ大統領自身は、夜間の襲撃から数時間後の土曜日、FOX & Friendsのインタビューで語った。
"We were going to do this four days ago, three days ago, two days ago, and then all of a sudden it opened up. And we said: go," Trump himself told Fox & Friends on Saturday, hours after the overnight raid.

「彼は我々に『幸運を祈る』と言ってくれました。感謝します」とケイン将軍は述べた。トランプ大統領の命令はカラカスの真夜中直前に発せられ、軍は夜の大部分を暗闇の中で活動することになった。
"He said to us, and we appreciate it... good luck and godspeed," Gen Caine said. Trump's order came shortly before midnight in Caracas, giving the military most of the night to operate in darkness.

その後、2時間20分に及ぶ陸海空を横断する作戦が展開され、ワシントンD.C.のみならず世界中の多くの人々を驚愕させた。
What followed was a two-hour-and-twenty-minute mission by air, land and sea that stunned many in Washington and around the world.

その規模と精度は、事実上前例のないものでした。そして、複数の地域大国から即座に非難を浴び、ブラジルのルラ・ダ・シルバ大統領は、ベネズエラ指導者の暴力的な拘束は「国際社会全体にとって、またしても極めて危険な前例となる」と述べた。
In terms of scale and precision, it was virtually unprecedented. And it drew immediate condemnation from several regional powers, with Brazil's President Lula da Silva saying the violent capture of Venezuela's leader set "yet another extremely dangerous precedent for the entire international community".

トランプ大統領はホワイトハウスの作戦室から作戦を追うのではなく、フロリダ州パームビーチにある自宅のマール・ア・ラーゴ・クラブで顧問たちに囲まれ、CIA長官ジョン・ラトクリフとマルコ・ルビオ国務長官に挟まれながら、作戦のライブ配信を視聴した。
Trump did not follow the mission from the White House situation room. Instead, he was surrounded by his advisers at his Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida, where he watched a live stream of the operation flanked by CIA Director John Ratcliffe and US Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

「信じられない光景だった」とトランプ大統領は土曜日に述べた。「何が起こったのか、もし皆さんが見ていたなら、私は文字通りテレビ番組を見ているかのように見ていただろう。そして、そのスピード、暴力…本当に驚くべきことだった。彼らが成し遂げた素晴らしい仕事だった」
"It was an incredible thing to see," Trump said on Saturday. "If you would have seen what happened, I mean, I watched it literally like I was watching a television show. And if you would've seen the speed, the violence... it's just, it was an amazing thing, an amazing job that these people did."

ここ数ヶ月、数千人の米軍部隊がこの地域に展開し、空母1機と数十隻の軍艦に加え、数十年ぶりの大規模軍事増強を行っている。トランプ大統領はマドゥロ大統領を麻薬密売と麻薬テロで非難し、この地域で麻薬を密輸したとされる小型船舶数十隻を爆破した。
In recent months, thousands of US troops have deployed to the region, joining an aircraft carrier and dozens of warships in the largest military build-up in decades as Trump has accused Maduro of drug-trafficking and narco-terrorism, and blown up dozens of small boats accused of ferrying drugs through the region.

しかし、「絶対的決意作戦」の最初の兆候は上空に現れていた。米当局者によると、爆撃機、戦闘機、偵察機など150機以上の航空機が夜通し展開された。
But the first signs of Operation Absolute Resolve were in the skies. More than 150 aircraft - including bombers, fighter jets and reconnaissance planes - were ultimately deployed through the course of the night, according to US officials.

「機動全体、着陸、そして機数、すべてが非常に複雑で、極めて複雑でした」とトランプ大統領はFOXニュースに語った。「あらゆる状況に対応できる戦闘機を保有していました」
"It was very complex, extremely complex, the whole manoeuvre, the landings, the number of aircraft," Trump told Fox News. "We had a fighter jet for every possible situation."

現地時間午前2時頃(グリニッジ標準時午前6時)、カラカスで大きな爆発音が聞こえ、街の上空に煙が立ち上るのが見えた。「大きな音、バンという音が聞こえました」とアナ・バネッサ・エレーロ記者はBBCに語った。「窓ガラスが全て揺れました。直後、視界をほぼ遮るほどの巨大な煙の雲が見えました」
Loud explosions were heard in Caracas at about 02:00 local time (06:00 GMT), and plumes of smoke were seen rising over the city. "I heard a huge sound, a loud bang," reporter Ana Vanessa Herrero told the BBC. "It moved all the windows. Immediately after I saw a huge cloud of smoke that almost blocked the entire view."

彼女はさらに、「飛行機とヘリコプターが街中を飛び回っていました」と付け加えた。
She added: "Planes and helicopters were flying all over the city."

間もなく、上空に多数の航空機が飛ぶ様子や、爆発の直後と思われる映像がソーシャルメディア上で広く拡散し始めた。ある映像では、カラカス上空を低空飛行するヘリコプターの隊列が、爆発と思われる煙を上げている様子が映っていた。
Soon, videos showing numerous aircraft in the skies - and others showing the apparent aftermath of explosions - began to circulate widely on social media. One showed a convoy of helicopters flying at low altitude over Caracas as smoke rose from apparent detonations.

目撃者のダニエラさんはBBCに対し、「午前1時55分頃、爆発音とカラカス上空を飛ぶ飛行機の騒音で目が覚めました。辺りは真っ暗闇に包まれ、近くで爆発が起きた時の閃光だけが照らされていました」と語った。
"We woke up at around 01:55 to the roar of explosions and the hum of planes flying over Caracas," one witness. Daniela, told the BBC. "Everything was plunged into absolute darkness, illuminated only by the flashes of nearby detonations."

彼女はさらに、「近隣住民たちはマンションのグループチャットでメッセージをやり取りしていましたが、皆、何が起こっているのか分からず混乱し、爆発に怯えていました」と付け加えた。
She added: "Neighbours were messaging in the condominium group chat, all confused and unaware of what was happening [and] frightened by the blasts."

BBCベリファイは、カラカス周辺で発生した爆発、火災、煙を映した複数のビデオを検証し、標的となった場所を正確に特定した。
BBC Verify has examined a number of videos showing explosions, fire and smoke in locations around Caracas to identify exactly which sites were targeted.

これまでに、フランシスコ・デ・ミランダ大元帥空軍基地(通称ラ・カルロタ)と、カラカスとカリブ海を結ぶ主要航路であるラ・グアイラ港を含む5か所が確認されている。
So far, it has confirmed five locations including Generalissimo Francisco de Miranda Air Base, an airfield known as La Carlota and Port La Guaira, Caracas' main conduit to the Caribbean Sea.

当局者によると、米軍の攻撃の一部は防空システムやその他の軍事目標を標的としていた。トランプ大統領はまた、作戦開始前にカラカスの電力供給を停止することを示唆したが、具体的な方法については明言を避けた。
Some of the US strikes targeted air defence systems and other military targets, officials said. Trump also suggested the US cut the power in Caracas before the mission began, though he did not specify how.

「カラカスの街灯は、我々が持つ専門知識のおかげで、ほぼ消灯された」とトランプ大統領は述べた。「あたりは暗く、危険な状況だった」
"The lights of Caracas were largely turned off due to a certain expertise that we have," he said. "It was dark and it was deadly."

「彼らは我々の接近を知っていた」
'They knew we were coming'

カラカス周辺で攻撃の音が響き渡る中、米軍は市内に進攻した。BBCの米国ニュースパートナーであるCBSの情報筋によると、進攻部隊には米軍の最高峰の特殊部隊であるエリート部隊「デルタフォース」のメンバーも含まれていた。彼らは重武装しており、マドゥロ大統領の隠れ家の金属製の扉を突き破らなければならない場合に備えて、バーナーを携行していた。
As strikes rang out around Caracas, US forces made their way into the city. They included members of the elite Delta Force, the US military's top special mission unit, sources told the BBC's US news partner CBS. They were heavily armed - and carried a blowtorch in case they had to cut through the metal doors of Maduro's safe house.

ケイン将軍によると、部隊は現地時間午前2時1分に攻撃開始直後にマドゥロ氏の拠点に到着した。トランプ大統領は、カラカス中心部にあるこの隠れ家を軍事「要塞」と表現し、「彼らは我々を待ち構えていた。我々が来ることを知っていた」と述べた。
The troops arrived at Maduro's location shortly after the strikes began at 02:01 local time, according to Gen Caine. Trump described the safe house as a military "fortress" in the heart of Caracas, saying: "They were in a ready position waiting for us. They knew we were coming."

部隊は到着時に銃撃を受け、米軍ヘリコプター1機が被弾したものの、飛行は可能だった。「拘束部隊はマドゥロ氏の敷地内に降下し、迅速かつ正確かつ規律正しく行動した」とケイン将軍は述べた。
The troops took fire when they arrived, and one of the US helicopters was hit but was still able to fly. "The apprehension force descended into Maduro's compound and moved with speed, precision and discipline," Gen Caine said.

「彼らはただ侵入した。しかも、実際には侵入できない場所に侵入した。ご存知の通り、鉄の扉はまさにそのために設置されていたのだ」とトランプ大統領は述べた。
"They just broke in, and they broke into places that were not really able to be broken into, you know, steel doors that were put there for just this reason," Trump remarked.

マドゥロ大統領の妻シリア・フローレス氏も拘束されたこの作戦が進む中、ルビオ氏は議員らにこの作戦について報告し始めた。この決定はその後、米国議会の一部から怒りを買っている。
It was only as the operation - which also saw Maduro's wife, Cilia Flores, seized - was unfolding that Rubio began notifying lawmakers about the action, a decision which has since prompted anger from some in the US Congress.

「はっきりさせておきたい。ニコラス・マドゥロは非合法な独裁者だ。しかし、議会の承認も、その後の行動に関する確かな計画もないまま軍事行動を開始するのは無謀だ」と、民主党のチャック・シューマー上院院内総務は述べた。
"Let me be clear: Nicolas Maduro is an illegitimate dictator. But launching military action without congressional authorisation and without a credible plan for what comes next is reckless," said top Democrat Chuck Schumer, the party's leader in the Senate.

ルビオ氏は土曜日の記者会見で記者団に対し、議会への事前報告は作戦を危険にさらすことになるだろうと述べた。「議会には情報を漏らす傾向がある」とトランプ氏は付け加えた。「これは良くない」
Briefing Congress ahead of time would have endangered the mission, Rubio told reporters during the news conference on Saturday. "Congress has a tendency to leak," Trump added. "This would not be good."

マドゥロ大統領の邸宅に米軍精鋭部隊が殺到する中、トランプ大統領は、ここ数カ月、キューバ人ボディーガードへの依存度を高めていると報じられているベネズエラの大統領が、安全な部屋に逃げようとしたと述べた。
In Maduro's compound, as elite US troops flooded in, Trump said the Venezuelan president - who has reportedly increased his reliance on Cuban bodyguards in recent months - attempted to flee to a safe room.

「大統領は安全な場所に逃げようとしたが、そこは安全ではなかった。47秒ほどでドアが爆破されていたはずだからだ」とトランプ大統領は述べた。
"He was trying to get to a safe place, which wasn't safe, because we would have had the door blown up in about 47 seconds," Trump said.

「大統領はドアまでたどり着いたが、閉めることができなかった。あまりにも急に襲われたため、その部屋に入れなかったのだ。」
"He made it to the door. He was unable to close it. He got bum rushed so fast that he didn't get into that [room]."

2013年に大統領に就任した独裁主義指導者マドゥロ氏が逮捕に抵抗していた場合、米国は彼を殺害できたかとの質問に対し、トランプ氏は「そうだったかもしれない」と答えた。
When asked if the US could have killed Maduro, an authoritarian leader who took over the presidency in 2013, if he had resisted arrest, Trump said: "It could have happened."

米国側では「数人が撃たれた」が、米軍関係者の死者は出ていないとトランプ氏は述べた。ベネズエラ当局は死傷者を確認していない。
On the US side, "a couple of guys were hit", he said, but no US service members were killed. The Venezuelan authorities have not confirmed any casualties.

米国は以前、マドゥロ氏の逮捕につながる情報提供者に5000万ドル(3700万ポンド)の報奨金を出していた。しかし、現地時間土曜日午前4時20分までに、マドゥロ氏夫妻を乗せたヘリコプターがベネズエラ領土を出発し、米国司法省に拘束され、最終的にニューヨークへ向かった。2人はニューヨークで刑事訴追を受けるとみられている。
The US had previously offered a $50m (£37m) reward for information leading to Maduro's arrest. But by 04:20 local time on Saturday, helicopters were leaving Venezuelan territory with Maduro and his wife on board, in custody of the US Department of Justice and en route ultimately to New York, where they are expected to face criminal charges.

ほぼ1時間後、トランプ大統領はマドゥロ大統領の逮捕のニュースを世界に発表した。「マドゥロ大統領とその妻はまもなく、アメリカの司法の厳しさに直面することになるだろう」とトランプ大統領は述べた。
Almost exactly an hour later Trump announced the news of his capture to the world. "Maduro and his wife will soon face the full might of American justice," he said.

海外記事の和訳まとめ|世界一の多言語翻訳家を目指して勉強中

いいなと思ったら応援しよう!

世界一の多言語翻訳家を目指して勉強中 よろしければ応援お願いします! いただいたチップはクリエイターとしての活動費に使わせていただきます!m(__)m