元CNN司会者のドン・レモン、ミネソタ州の教会でICE反対デモを行ったとして起訴 BBC 2026/2/1
Former CNN host Don Lemon faces charges after anti-ICE protest at Minnesota church
元CNN司会者のドン・レモン氏は、ミネソタ州の教会に入り、礼拝を妨害する反移民執行デモ参加者を撮影したとして逮捕・起訴された。
Former CNN host Don Lemon has been arrested and charged after entering a Minnesota church and filming anti-immigration enforcement protesters as they disrupted a service.
出廷後、レモン氏は釈放された。彼は外部メディアに対し、このニュースを取材したために逮捕されたと語り、「私は黙らされない」と付け加えた。
After appearing in court, Lemon was released from custody. He told media outside that he was arrested for covering the news, adding: "I will not be silenced."
レモン氏は、憲法修正第1条に基づく権利を強制的に侵害したとして、権利剥奪共謀罪および宗教の自由の侵害罪で起訴された。
Lemon was charged with conspiracy to deprive rights and interfering with religious freedoms, by allegedly obstructing someone's First Amendment rights by force.
レモン氏は1月18日、セントポールのシティーズ教会に抗議者らと共に侵入した。抗議者らは、牧師の1人が移民執行官だと主張していた。
Lemon went into the Cities Church in St Paul on 18 January with protesters who said one of the pastors was an immigration enforcement official.
独立系ジャーナリストのレモン氏は、木曜日に連邦捜査官に拘束されたと述べた。彼は法廷で罪状認否をしなかった。
Lemon, an independent journalist, said he was taken into custody by federal agents on Thursday. He did not enter a plea in court.
「昨夜、司法省は連邦捜査官チームを派遣し、私が過去30年間続けてきたニュース報道のせいで、真夜中に私を逮捕しようとしたのです」とレモン氏は述べた。
"Last night the DOJ sent a team of federal agents to arrest me in the middle of the night for something that I have been doing for the last 30 years and that is covering the news," Lemon said.
「私はキャリアのすべてをニュース報道に費やしてきました。今ここで止めるつもりはありません」とレモン氏は付け加えた。
"I have spent my entire career covering the news. I will not stop now," Lemon added.
「実際、真実に光を当て、権力者に責任を負わせる自由で独立したメディアにとって、今この瞬間ほど重要な時はありません。」
"In fact, there is no more important time than right now, this very moment, for a free and independent media that shines a light on the truth and holds those in power accountable."
レモン被告と、もう一人のジャーナリストを含む他の8人の共同被告は、礼拝所における宗教の自由に対する陰謀と、礼拝所における宗教の自由の権利の行使に対する傷害、脅迫、妨害の罪で起訴された。
Lemon and eight other co-defendants, including another journalist, have been charged with conspiracy against religious freedom at a place of worship and injuring, intimidating, and interfering with the exercise of the right of religious freedom at a place of worship.
「ドンは法廷でこれらの容疑に徹底的に対抗します」と、レモン氏の弁護士アベ・ローウェル氏は金曜日、レモン氏のインスタグラムアカウントに投稿した声明で述べた。
"Don will fight these charges vigorously and thoroughly in court," his lawyer Abbe Lowell said earlier on Friday in a statement posted on Lemon's Instagram account.
弁護士はさらに、「憲法修正第一条に対する前例のない攻撃と、現政権が直面している多くの危機から人々の目をそらそうとする明白な試みは、容認されません」と付け加えた。
The lawyer added: "This unprecedented attack on the First Amendment and transparent attempt to distract attention from the many crises facing this administration will not stand."
ローウェル氏によると、レモン氏はグラミー賞の取材でロサンゼルスに滞在していた際に逮捕されたという。
Lowell said Lemon had been arrested while he was in Los Angeles covering the Grammy Awards.
パム・ボンディ米司法長官は、地元の独立系ジャーナリスト、ジョージア・フォート氏、活動家のトラヘム・ジーン・クルーズ氏、ジャマエル・リデル・ランディ氏の3人が逮捕されたと発表した。
US Attorney General Pam Bondi said three others had been arrested: local independent journalist Georgia Fort, along with activists Trahem Jeen Crews and Jamael Lydell Lundy.
フォート氏もミネソタ州の出廷後、金曜日に釈放された。
Fort was also released earlier on Friday after her court appearance in Minnesota.
アメリカの最高法執行機関は、3人が教会への「組織的な攻撃」に参加したと非難した。
America's top law enforcement official accused them of participating in a "coordinated attack" on the church.
FBI長官カシュ・パテル氏は、FBIと国土安全保障省の捜査官がレモン氏と他の3人を逮捕したと述べた。
FBI Director Kash Patel said investigators from his agency and the DHS had arrested Lemon and the other three.
フォート氏は、連邦捜査官が自宅に到着し、彼女を逮捕する様子をライブ配信で投稿した。
Fort posted a livestream of federal agents arriving at her home to arrest her.
「捜査官たちが今、私の家の玄関にいます」と彼女は動画の中で述べた。「子供たちもここにいて、この事件の影響を受けています」
"Agents are at my door right now," she said in the clip. "My children are here, they're impacted by this."
ドナルド・トランプ大統領政権は当初、ミネソタ州の教会抗議活動に関与した8人を、権利剥奪の共謀と礼拝所における信教の自由の妨害の罪で起訴しようとした。
President Donald Trump's administration initially sought to charge eight people involved in the Minnesota church protest with conspiring to deprive rights and interfering with someone's religious freedom in a house of worship.
しかし、証拠を検討した治安判事は、レモン氏を除く3人のみを起訴した。
But a magistrate judge who reviewed the evidence approved charges for only three of those involved, excluding Lemon.
政府はこの決定に異議を唱えたが、控訴裁判所は検察に対し、事件を連邦大陪審に付託するよう勧告した。大陪審は、事件で誰かを起訴するのに十分な証拠があるかどうかを評価する市民の陪審である。
The government challenged that decision, but an appeals court suggested prosecutors take the case to a federal grand jury - a panel of citizens that evaluates if there is enough evidence to charge someone in a case.
大陪審は最終的に、教会での抗議活動に参加していたレモン氏を含む9人の被告に対する起訴を承認した。
That grand jury ultimately approved charges against the nine defendants, including Lemon, who were present at the church protest.
長年トランプ批判を続けてきたレモン氏は、2023年4月に17年間CNNに勤務した後、解雇された。朝の番組司会者だったレモン氏は、共和党大統領候補のニッキー・ヘイリー氏(当時51歳)は全盛期を過ぎていると放送中に発言したことを謝罪していた。
A longstanding Trump critic, Lemon was fired from CNN in April 2023 after 17 years with the company. The morning show host had apologised for on-air comments that Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley, then 51, was past her prime.
ミネソタ州の教会での抗議活動では、彼は抗議活動参加者と共にYouTubeでライブ配信を行った。配信は、レモン氏が駐車場で参加者と共に立ち、「これは極秘の活動です」と語る場面から始まった。
In the Minnesota church protest, he live-streamed with protesters on YouTube. The broadcast began with Lemon standing with the group in a car park where he says: "This is an operation that is secret.
「これから何が起こるかは言えませんが、『ドン・レモン・ショー』で生中継でその様子をご覧いただけます。」
"I can't tell you what is going to happen, but you're going to watch it live unfold here on 'The Don Lemon Show.'"
起訴状によると、レモン被告は「作戦の秘密を守るため、一部の共謀者に作戦目標を明かさないよう注意し、マイクが誤って作戦計画の一部を漏らさないように一時的に離れた」とされている。
The indictment alleges Lemon "took steps to maintain operation secrecy by reminding certain co-conspirators to not disclose the target of the operation and stepped away momentarily so his mic would not accidentally divulge certain points of the planning session".
その後、レモン被告は「抵抗運動の抗議者」と呼ぶ集団を教会内まで追跡したが、当初はカメラマンは同行しなかった。
He then followed the group - whom he called "resistance protesters" - into the church, initially without his camera operator.
起訴状によると、レモン被告と他の共同被告らは「組織的な乗っ取り攻撃で教会に侵入し、抑圧、脅迫、脅迫、妨害、そして身体的妨害行為を行った」とされている。
The indictment alleges that Lemon and the other co-defendants "entered the Church in a coordinated takeover-style attack and engaged in acts of oppression, intimidation, threats, interference, and physical obstruction".
抗議者たちは「レニー・グッドに正義を」と叫んでいる。これは、1月7日にミネアポリスで移民関税執行局(ICE)職員との衝突中に車内で射殺された米国人、レニー・グッドに言及している。
Protesters chant "Justice for Renee Good", referring to the US citizen who was fatally shot in her vehicle on 7 January during a confrontation with an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officer in Minneapolis.
レモン被告と他の共同被告らが、起訴されていない他の抗議者らと共に教会に入場した際、検察は彼らが「教会の正面近くのメイン通路と椅子列の大部分を物理的に占拠し、威嚇的な行為を行い、教会員と牧師を抑圧、脅迫、そして威嚇した」と主張している。
When Lemon and his co-defendants entered the church, together with other protesters who have not been charged, prosecutors allege that they "oppressed, threatened, and intimidated the Church congregants and pastors by physically occupying most of the main aisle and row of chairs near the front of the Church, engaging in menacing and threatening behavior".
映像には、南部バプテスト連盟に属する教会内で、抗議活動参加者と信徒たちが互いに怒鳴り合う、混乱した光景が映っていた。
Footage showed a chaotic scene unfolding inside the church, which belongs to the Southern Baptist Convention, as protesters and members of the congregation shout at each other.
レモン氏は、自分はジャーナリストとしてここにおり、デモ参加者とは無関係だと繰り返し主張している。
Lemon repeatedly says he is there as a journalist and is unaffiliated with demonstrators.
「私たちは活動家の一員ではありませんが、ただ彼らのことを取材するためにここにいるのです」と彼は言う。
"We're not part of the activists, but we're here just reporting on them," he says.
牧師は「これは許しがたい、恥ずべき行為です。礼拝中のキリスト教徒の集会を妨害するなど、恥ずべきことです」と述べた。
The pastor says: "This is unacceptable, it's shameful. It's shameful to interrupt a public gathering of Christians in worship."
検察側は、レモン被告と他の2人の共犯者が、ある時点で牧師を「ほぼ取り囲み」「抑圧し、脅迫しようとした」と主張している。
Lemon and two other co-defendants at one point "largely surrounded" the pastor "in an attempt to oppress and intimidate him", prosecutors allege.
検察側はまた、レモン被告が教会の正面玄関に「陣取り」「教会から出ようとした一部の信者と対峙し、米国の移民政策に関する『事実』を突きつけて彼らを妨害した」とも主張している。
Prosecutors also allege that Lemon "posted himself" at the main door to the church "where he confronted some congregants and physically obstructed them as they tried to exit the Church building to challenge them with 'facts' about US immigration policy".
司法省公民権局のハルミート・ディロン氏は、金曜日にポッドキャスターのメーガン・ケリー氏とのインタビューで、「我々は地の果てまでこの問題を追及するつもりだ」と述べた。
Harmeet Dhillon, of the Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division, said during an interview with podcaster Megyn Kelly on Friday: "We're going to pursue this to the ends of the Earth."
ホワイトハウスは逮捕を祝福したようで、公式Xアカウントにレモン氏の写真を投稿し、「人生がレモンを与えてくれたら」というキャプションと、チェーンリンクの絵文字を添えた。
The White House appeared to celebrate the arrest, posting a photo of Lemon on its official X account with the caption "when life gives you lemons", next to an emoji of chain links.
ロサンゼルス市長のカレン・バス氏は、レモン氏の拘留を「衝撃的」かつ「憂慮すべき」と述べた。
Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass called the detention of Lemon "shocking" and "alarming."
CNNは、この件は「報道の自由と憲法修正第1条に関する深刻な懸念を提起した」と述べ、レモン氏の事件を注視していくと述べた。
CNN said it raised "profoundly concerning questions about press freedom and the First Amendment". The network said it would follow Lemon's case closely.
トランプ政権がジャーナリストを捜査する今月2件目の注目事件となり、言論の自由の擁護者たちは警戒を強めている。
This is the second high-profile incident this month of the Trump administration investigating a journalist, raising the alarm of free speech advocates.
1月14日、FBIはワシントン・ポスト紙の記者の自宅に捜査令状を持って予告なしに現れ、機密情報漏洩の疑いで彼女の機器を押収したが、記者自身はいかなる罪にも問われなかった。
On 14 January, the FBI showed up unannounced to the home of a Washington Post reporter with a search warrant and seized her devices over the alleged leak of classified information, although she herself was not charged with any crime.
ミネソタ州では抗議活動が続いており、連邦移民局の捜査が衝突を引き起こし、3児の母であるレニー・グッドさんと看護師のアレックス・プレッティさんの2人の米国市民が死亡した。
Protests are continuing in Minnesota, where an operation by federal immigration agents has sparked confrontations that have left two US citizens dead: Renee Good, a mother-of-three, and Alex Pretti, a nurse.
いいなと思ったら応援しよう!
よろしければ応援お願いします! いただいたチップはクリエイターとしての活動費に使わせていただきます!m(__)m