Blood Bowl 3

Blood Bowl 3

View Stats:
PC GAMER - Between 70 and 80% of Blood Bowl 3 games were solo
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/strategy/between-70-and-80-percent-of-blood-bowl-3-games-were-solo/

Am I the only one who thinks the Season Pass is largely responsible for the fact that 70-80% of Blood Bowl 3 games are played solo?

If your goal is to unlock pass rewards as efficiently as possible, playing against the AI is simply less risky and often faster than facing human opponents. Why spend an hour in a tough multiplayer match only to lose when you can make steady progress in single-player?

To me, this suggests that many players are optimizing reward progression rather than choosing solo mode because they actually prefer it.

What's your take? Is the Season Pass encouraging players to avoid multiplayer, or am I missing something? 🤔
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
Hello, the stats were the same in Blood Bowl 2
Originally posted by Community Manager Cyanide Studio:
Hello, the stats were the same in Blood Bowl 2

Thanks for the clarification.

If the numbers were already similar in Blood Bowl 2, then the Season Pass in Blood Bowl 3 obviously isn't the main cause.

That makes me even more curious about the reasons behind it.

Maybe Blood Bowl's player base has always had a strong single-player component due to factors such as:

Playing at your own pace
Avoiding long and mentally demanding PvP matches
Testing teams and builds
Being able to pause or quit whenever needed
Limited gaming time

That said, I still wonder whether progression systems in BB3 encourage even more solo play than before.

For those who mostly play against the AI: what is the main reason you choose single-player over multiplayer?

Personally, the only times I play single-player are when I'm testing a new team or when I want to farm Season Pass progression but don't have enough time to commit to private leagues or the official ladder.

To be honest, and this is just my opinion, I've never found single-player particularly appealing in either Blood Bowl 2 or Blood Bowl 3. The AI is simply too limited to provide a meaningful challenge most of the time. Once you understand how it behaves, many matches feel like you're playing with almost no real opposition.

That's why I'm genuinely surprised by the 70-80% figure.

My guess is that many players enjoy the convenience of easier wins, faster progression, and not having to deal with the things that make Blood Bowl exciting against human opponents: unexpected plays, mind games, and, of course, having your players fouled into the ground! 😄

For me, Blood Bowl has always been at its best when facing another coach, even if it means suffering through some terrible dice rolls and the occasional brutal defeat.
The real opponent, in both single player & multiplayer, is the RNG.
Originally posted by DAKKA_Frezh!:
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/strategy/between-70-and-80-percent-of-blood-bowl-3-games-were-solo/

To me, this suggests that many players are optimizing reward progression rather than choosing solo mode because they actually prefer it

In those type of discussions, i have noticed that a very simple, basic, fact tend to often be overlooked.

That most people play video games just to relax. They haven't that much time and they don't want to invest it in another source of stress.

I don't think that those people you're talking about are trying to optimize their gaming time.

They were just trying to enjoy themselves in a calm, relaxing way.

And come on, 70 to 80% of players would prioriize chasing rewards more than playing the way the prefer?

No freaking way. That's the kind of behaviour someone really invested in those rewards would do. Not most people.

And that's not even taking into account that those rewards are ♥♥♥♥.
For me it is convenience. Often I'm awake at night and its hard to find multiplayer matches then. During the day I have family responsibilities meaning I often need to disappear fast (raising 2 autistic teenagers, one of which needs 24/7 support). I feel its fairer to just mess around against the AI than ruin another player's game.

I think a lot of single player Blood Bowl players do it out of convenience.
Originally posted by mrsir:
For me it is convenience. Often I'm awake at night and its hard to find multiplayer matches then. During the day I have family responsibilities meaning I often need to disappear fast (raising 2 autistic teenagers, one of which needs 24/7 support). I feel its fairer to just mess around against the AI than ruin another player's game.

I think a lot of single player Blood Bowl players do it out of convenience.

This playing multiplayer is a PITA in this game and that's when it all goes well haha.
People like single player base don every single metric and objective observation I've seen. And me personally...rather play alone than with a stranger.
Doubt the pass had anything to do with it.
More likely its because Blood Bowl is a slow game to begin with and becomes even slower when playing against a human opponent. 90 minutes for a single match might be something the real blood bowl fans like but most of us "normies" dont.
Why do I play solo? Nothing is worse than making time for a game, getting an opponent to turn 4 concede... and then instead of playing a full game of blood bowl I get a quarter without the time to TRY to find another one without moving a schedule.

Maybe if the systems launched games every 5/10/15m so the match maker has time to try to find games for people... but when I can go between 2 and 10 depending on time of day, I'd rather just roll the AI and finish a game.
Originally posted by Attackmack:
More likely its because Blood Bowl is a slow game to begin with and becomes even slower when playing against a human opponent

Indeed. I like to play some Dune Imperium or even some Talisman when i'm desperate. But it so freaking slow. I kinda stopped cause of that.
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
Per page: 1530 50