HelixVision

HelixVision

Katanga Input screen joystick setting not saving??
Hey Bo3b,

I am having issues with the Input screen where the settings I slect there do not save.. I am mainly having issues with the Joystick settings as I have a Thrustmaster Cougar Joystick and it makes the katagna screen move when playing.

I had this happen before and I beleive I just reprogrammed the axis to another axis as I have many axis on this joystick.. but now when I select the inputs that move the screen and save another axis and close the input screen it does not save those settings??

Perhaps and recent update broke it . this just started happening last night 1-20-2020
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
Jan 21, 2021 @ 10:44pm 
No updates since 12-31-20.

Make sure that the katanga window is not frontmost. We only do screen sizing/moving when katanga is frontmost, and that's not how you'd want to play the game.

Should be no need to move settings on the Cougar controller, unless they have some funny software that forces it to be active always.
Well the windows is frontmost as I need to adjust it. but I cannot when the screen moves up way high.. I had reinstalled windows the other day and it has been a nagging issues. I solved it before and I thought I solved it by remapping the joystick??

I can just unplug the stick but this is not what I did before since I had this program? I will think of what I did before to not have this happen..

Is there a way to program the axis as button presses and not Axis'?
but what about the joystick assignements not saving after I reprogram them?

I think this is the main issue right now I am having.. I assign all the axis that will move the screen up and when I load the Demo it works fine.. I then go into the game and the katyagna screen moves up.

I go back into the Config input screen and the button presses are set at their defaults again and not the buttons I assigned them too..

Jan 22, 2021 @ 7:36pm 
Originally posted by The_Nephilim1:
but what about the joystick assignements not saving after I reprogram them?

I think this is the main issue right now I am having.. I assign all the axis that will move the screen up and when I load the Demo it works fine.. I then go into the game and the katyagna screen moves up.

I go back into the Config input screen and the button presses are set at their defaults again and not the buttons I assigned them too..
The Demo and the full app are different builds, and so they use different registry keys to save the settings. (I think, not certain)

You can double click the katanga.exe from HelixVision->Tools->Katanga, to see the same demo behavior, but using the actual app that will be used for HelixVision as well. Anything saved there should be consistent with the actual use.

When you say 'reprogram settings' do you mean via the Unity dialog you can get from ctrl key down at katanga launch? That should work I think, but also needs to be done on the real exe not the demo version.

There is an off chance you have special Cougar software installed as well. A lot of these things have their own software that complicates and obfuscates what happens, but might give you options to change behavior to not conflict.

Lastly, there is yet another controller layer via SteamVR that you might have enabled and setting different functions for xbox style controllers.

(BTW, all this complexity happens because the Microsoft XInput API is a complete piece of ♥♥♥♥. Might be their worst API ever, and that's really saying something. /rant)
katanga.exe from HelixVision->Tools->Katanga this is the exe I used to run the input screen to change the controller axis..

Am I using the wrong exe ?
yes the ctrl key is what I press to get into the unity inoput screen to reprogram the keys.

Yes you had told me before about the API and its problems.. I am not looking to point fingers only get a solution.. what I did in the past does not seem to be working currently.
Jan 23, 2021 @ 11:07pm 
Originally posted by The_Nephilim1:
katanga.exe from HelixVision->Tools->Katanga this is the exe I used to run the input screen to change the controller axis..

Am I using the wrong exe ?
yes the ctrl key is what I press to get into the unity inoput screen to reprogram the keys.

Yes you had told me before about the API and its problems.. I am not looking to point fingers only get a solution.. what I did in the past does not seem to be working currently.
That is the correct exe to use. I think this should work.

You might try doing a full prefs reset on Katanga, using both triggers on the VR controllers, or backspace+backtick on keyboard when Katanga is up. That will also delete anything that the Unity dialog has put in place and might clear up some sort of Unity controller handling problem.
Well I do use the VR controllers to reset the screen but as soon as I let go after the screen recenters it goes back up to the top where I can barely see it as it is too high and small..

If I where to delete Helixvision are there any registry entries and other locastions I would need to delete to start fresh?
Jan 25, 2021 @ 5:30am 
Originally posted by The_Nephilim1:
Well I do use the VR controllers to reset the screen but as soon as I let go after the screen recenters it goes back up to the top where I can barely see it as it is too high and small..

If I where to delete Helixvision are there any registry entries and other locastions I would need to delete to start fresh?
It's worth deleting the remaining folder in your Steam directory as well.

The prefs are deleted whenever you do the two-trigger reset using VR controllers. Unplug your controller that is conflicting beforehand.

Any time the screen moves, even if accidentally from the xbox controller conflict, it will save a new location in the registry.

If it's moving after you do the reset, then the controller is stuck 'on' as far as XInput is concerned. That can happen with driving wheels that are not centered for example. Or old joysticks that are sufficiently worn that they flop out of the dead zone.

It definitely should be possible to move the conflicting controller to an unused axis using the Unity dialog.
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
Per page: 1530 50