HelixVision

HelixVision

VRidge / Riftcat compatible?
Should Helixvision run with VRidge?
I tried now Jedi Fallen Order (without Hacker Mode) and as soon as the anaglyph menu appears after the loading screens the VRidge process terminates.
Is it a VRidge issue, or did anyone made it run?

Vridge log shows this:
14:30:46.522 [Error - VRidge]: Closing IPC - pipe reading error: System.InvalidOperationException: Pipe client disconnected.
bei i3VmoAQ23ai9NMiPV8d2NWQR9uIgAQ2IsjAij57j2oG$LcOTWH4VRnKrMfDKPSlkrA.h8W1X4YkD0ptmQ1Yhe3sATs(NamedPipeServerStream , Byte[] , Int32 , Int32 )
bei aU1NSaWJ$9enCo9XU$H65Fy0qmMAMriz686$jadIQ25XzOsqPktVSHsTZaClHg45og.qLmDhbu6Qm$lzdjmTtCN4iI(Object )
14:30:46.522 [Info - VRidge]: Client disconnecting.
14:30:47.037 [Error - VRidge]: Closing IPC - pipe reading error: System.InvalidOperationException: Pipe client disconnected.
bei i3VmoAQ23ai9NMiPV8d2NWQR9uIgAQ2IsjAij57j2oG$LcOTWH4VRnKrMfDKPSlkrA.h8W1X4YkD0ptmQ1Yhe3sATs(NamedPipeServerStream , Byte[] , Int32 , Int32 )
bei aU1NSaWJ$9enCo9XU$H65Fy0qmMAMriz686$jadIQ25XzOsqPktVSHsTZaClHg45og.qLmDhbu6Qm$lzdjmTtCN4iI(Object )
14:30:47.037 [Info - VRidge]: Client disconnecting.
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Jan 16, 2021 @ 7:11pm 
Interesting, had not heard of VRidge before. There are so many interesting tools and devices.

This has potential, but I'm definitely not sure if HelixVision will play nice with VRidge.

If the headset shows up as OpenVR/SteamVR, then I'd expect this to work, because HelixVision won't care about the headset exactly, it will just use whatever the SteamVR API returns.

They will presumably take the output of the Katanga mirror app, and send that wirelessly to the phone. The Katanga app is a normal Unity VR app, so if other Unity based VR games work, I'd expect this to work as well.


There are a couple of things to try. Make sure you've got a functioning VR app based on Unity, then enable 3D Vision by itself and then run that same app. It might crash, because there can be conflict between 3D Vision and extra tools like this, because 3D Vision might be trying to turn them into 3D as well. There are flags that can be set to avoid this.

If it runs with 3D enabled, then try running a 3D Vision app, but only in PlayIn3D mode. In particular, you could try the SBS shader for Jedi as a way to bypass the VR app, if they support a way of showing SBS.


The error you see there seems more like a general crash of some form, I don't think it's related to the IPC pipe being broken, some other process that creates that pipe is crashing.
I have a Samsung Gear for my S7 and use Vridge to connect to Steam. The experiance is not so got and usually short as the phone gets overheated. But I thoght it is good to try something out until my WMR headset arrives.
Steam system report says:

<Devices>
Device 1 - 0.8 VR-Headset Vridge Riftcat
Device Path: /devices/vridge/0.8

and for the controller (which is an XBox360 gamepad):

Device 2 - VridgeControllerV02ID4873 Controller VridgeController
Device Path: /devices/vridge/VridgeControllerV02ID4873

Today I tried again to launch Jedi Fallen Order. 1st I added the missing section to the d3dx.ini as described in the other thread:
[Logging]
calls=1
unbuffered=1

This time the game did not crash or stutter as observed before. It started in anaglyph mode and katanga window stayed open. However, it just displayed "Launching Star Wars" (could also be seen in VR). Then I closed katange and started it to connect post launch, but it didn't help. Just displaying "Launching..." for ever.

This time two log files are written. The short one I can post here:

NVapi DLL starting init - v 1.3.16.46 - Sun Jan 17 14:13:02 2021


[Logging]
calls=1
unbuffered=1 return: 0
[ConvergenceMap]
[Device]
full_screen=1
[Stereo]
force_no_nvapi=0
force_stereo=0
automatic_mode=0
unlock_separation=0
unlock_convergence=0
surface_createmode=-1
*** LoadLibrary of original_nvapi64.dll failed. ***
Trying to load C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvapi64.dll
Sun Jan 17 14:13:02 2021
- NvAPI_Initialize called.
Sun Jan 17 14:13:02 2021
- NvAPI_Initialize called.
Sun Jan 17 14:13:10 2021
- NvAPI_Initialize called.

But d3d11_log.txt is too long and would render this thread unreadable.

Is the above LoadLibrary fail an issue??


Not sure if I have other unity VR apps....
I have and tested that it run with VRidge: Project Cars 2, Waltz of the Wizard, VRMark Demo, Desktop+, Bigscreen Beta

Waltz has some Unity<something>.dll so I guess it is unity based. I enabled anaglyph 3D in nvidia control panel and started the testapplication to verify that it works. Then I started Waltz in VR and had no issues.
Jan 18, 2021 @ 12:04am 
Yes, that blocking of the nvapi64.dll from the System32 directory is odd. My best guess there is that the VRidge software is also doing some sort of loader management and blocking nvapi64 and maybe d3d11.dll from being loaded.

Most modding software does a chain load mechanism where we don't interfere with other software being loaded like Reshade or SpecialK. You might check if the VRidge software has some way to proxy load the libraries.

However, the fact that it generated a log file means that the 3Dmigoto d3d11.dll was loaded and running. But it would need the nvapi64.dll to be able to properly manage the 3D. I'd still expect something to show in the headset though. Be sure to look at actual headset, and not mirrored displays, for 3D the right eye can be black if 3D is not working quite right.

Since it didn't crash while logging, that's a bit unusual and would indicate a threading bug of some form, most likely in VRidge software. You could try setting unbuffered=0 but still let it log which might help. The unbuffered is used when we get crashes so that the log is complete and not truncated. But if it's not crashing, it just slows things down.
I don't think I can influence the way VRidge work. But I just noticed that it is listed as extension in the steam vr settings (if that is of any interest).
In the headset I see the same as in katange window: The helixvision screen telling "Launching...".
I can try later again if the logging makes the difference in (not)crashing the game.

Just in case you want to have look yourself: Vridge has a free demo that runs for some minutes (can be extended I think by registering). All you need is a smartphone to setup a steam vr cardboard. But maybe its not worth the time as I hope to get a Reverb G2 in the next weeks (currently sold out here in germany).

I tested it again:
Without API logging the vridge process crashed again. With API logging it did not crash

The I used the tool PROCMON to see who is accessing nvapi64.dll. When starting vridge I see this:

18:42:13,6988813 VRidge.exe 4112 CreateFileMapping C:\Windows\System32\nvapi64.dll FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS

Later on Defender and Steam are accessing the file.
Then NvapiHelper (from HelixVision) which however 1st looks for his own copy at D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\HelixVision\Tools\NvapiHelper\nvapi64.DLL but can't find it and then uses the one in System32.
(=> should it be there?? Could I copy a version there?)
Then comes katanga.

All those acceses are usually "normal" accesses with status SUCCESS but have always also one line as above with "CreateFileMapping ... FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS"

Then comes the Jedi game, but it takes the DLL directly from its own folder (which came with the fix):

18:46:34,5133489 starwarsjedifallenorder.exe 596 CreateFileMapping D:\Origins\Jedi Fallen Order\SwGame\Binaries\Win64\nvapi64.dll FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS

Not sure if above helps to detect why 3dmigoto can't load the original dll.
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Per page: 1530 50