Homura Hime

Homura Hime

View Stats:
why is there no parry lockout?
parry spam is so lame
< >
Showing 1-15 of 74 comments
its a clunky game.... its better than Kotama though
Originally posted by Algester:
its a clunky game.... its better than Kotama though
wdym clunky, I am asking why you can spam parry without any recovery for free
It's even worse when you think about parrying being tied to heal. The first boss has an entire phase you can just parry spam your way to a full heal again while it's spawning bullets, lasers and is covered in a shield.

This might change later on, I have no idea. Having random freezes killed the enjoyment I had with the game.
Originally posted by Bazzy:
It's even worse when you think about parrying being tied to heal. The first boss has an entire phase you can just parry spam your way to a full heal again while it's spawning bullets, lasers and is covered in a shield.

This might change later on, I have no idea. Having random freezes killed the enjoyment I had with the game.
crazy, I did hear they are working on hard mode or whatever, so here's hoping they'll fix this
I liked how parry spamming was possible. The game would've been vastly more frustrating if it weren't, considering that you often times will get attacked in quick succession by multiple enemies.
Originally posted by TryHardFann:
I liked how parry spamming was possible. The game would've been vastly more frustrating if it weren't, considering that you often times will get attacked in quick succession by multiple enemies.
literally what is the point if parries are free like that
Originally posted by PremiumG98:
Originally posted by TryHardFann:
I liked how parry spamming was possible. The game would've been vastly more frustrating if it weren't, considering that you often times will get attacked in quick succession by multiple enemies.
literally what is the point if parries are free like that

I get the argument that if parries are too easy they can feel meaningless. But I think it depends on what the game is trying to do. In a lot of games where you're getting attacked by multiple enemies quickly, stricter parry timing would probably just make the combat frustrating rather than more skillful.

Like I said, I liked being able to parry more freely because it kept the flow of combat going and let you stay in control of the situation (plus certain platforming sections require quick parrying in succession). Not every game needs to treat parrying like a high-risk mechanic the way some Souls-style games do.
There is a pretty simple reason why, and it starts becoming apparent in the later half of the game.
Enemy aggression is pretty strong, groups of enemies will throw a lot of attacks at you at once and a more strict parry window with a lockout would cause a lot of frustration.
Not to mention there is also a big increase in attacks you can't parry and enemies aren't afraid to thriow them into their patterns, especially bosses.
Originally posted by TryHardFann:
Originally posted by PremiumG98:
literally what is the point if parries are free like that

I get the argument that if parries are too easy they can feel meaningless. But I think it depends on what the game is trying to do. In a lot of games where you're getting attacked by multiple enemies quickly, stricter parry timing would probably just make the combat frustrating rather than more skillful.

Like I said, I liked being able to parry more freely because it kept the flow of combat going and let you stay in control of the situation (plus certain platforming sections require quick parrying in succession). Not every game needs to treat parrying like a high-risk mechanic the way some Souls-style games do.


Originally posted by MrEinFan:
There is a pretty simple reason why, and it starts becoming apparent in the later half of the game.
Enemy aggression is pretty strong, groups of enemies will throw a lot of attacks at you at once and a more strict parry window with a lockout would cause a lot of frustration.
Not to mention there is also a big increase in attacks you can't parry and enemies aren't afraid to thriow them into their patterns, especially bosses.
idk bros sounds like skill issue, ofc hard things will be frustrating first, that's part of the learning process, you get beat up and then get better, even ass creed and bamham knew to add whiff recovery on parries
I don't think a recovery on the parry is needed for this game. Yes you can kind of spam the parry but the parry is also neither as strong as in most games named as an example here and is an essential tool for combat. Making it clunky and punishing would not only make the game unecessarily hard but also would ruin the flow of combat. Furthermore there is a perfect parry in the game dealing more posture damage and giving more points you can only get with precise timing.

TL:DR If you don't want to spam parry just don't do it.

On a side node the Nier Automata, which is a heavy inspiration for this game also led you spam the dodge, which is very similar to this games parry making you able to infinitely dodge attacks without needing strict timing.
Of course, skill issue.
Cause every game needs to have a learning curve so steep that it will cause frustrations at the beginning, especially on the lower difficulties.
This is not the kinda game Homura Hime is, it's a game that starts out easy and becomes more intense later on. Some fights can be quite challenging later on, of course it won't reach say Sekiro 130% Speed No HIt type of difficulty or comes even close to Nioh 2 Depths (the kinda stuff I like playing for difficulty), but super punishing mechanics and difficulty is not the point of this game.

Not to mention that Ass Creed and the Batman Arkham Games (at leas tI assume that's what you mean with Bamham) have significantly slower pacing and the parry in those games is quite a bit different than in Homura Hime where it's a simple deflect that you pull off inbetween a flurry off attacks and bullets that you need to navigate through..
Originally posted by PremiumG98:
idk bros sounds like skill issue, ofc hard things will be frustrating first, that's part of the learning process, you get beat up and then get better, even ass creed and bamham knew to add whiff recovery on parries

The fact that you only played two hours of the game and haven't even finished chapter 3 tells me everything I need to know about your opinion on the game difficulty. The game barrages you with attacks from Chapter 4 onward especially in the optional trials. Maybe first finish the game or at least play the majority of it before complainig about the difficulty.
Originally posted by luzifer2299:
Originally posted by PremiumG98:
idk bros sounds like skill issue, ofc hard things will be frustrating first, that's part of the learning process, you get beat up and then get better, even ass creed and bamham knew to add whiff recovery on parries

The fact that you only played two hours of the game and haven't even finished chapter 3 tells me everything I need to know about your opinion on the game difficulty. The game barrages you with attacks from Chapter 4 onward especially in the optional trials. Maybe first finish the game or at least play the majority of it before complainig about the difficulty.
I mean that still doesnt sound convincing since red attacks are free, Ill play more today dw
I just did chapters 3 and 4 and not only its not even that bad most of the time, you can also just evade overlapping attacks with movement and dashes
and yeah, every game should have a learning curve, are you guys insane or something, yapping about some combat flow when most of the time said flow consits of almost mindlessly mashing lights or parries, the game is alright and everything but being this free is def to its detriment, especially considering how easy it is to implement a hard mode of some kind that nerfs parry spam
I think fromsoft games are total mid but even that mid is carried by the fact that you have to put some effort into winning lol, no wonder dark souls and elder ring are some of the most popular games in the industry and action games are a dead genre when its fans barely care about games being engaging and just want to toy around with flashing light
Have you thought about the fact that maybe this game is simply not for you then?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 74 comments
Per page: 1530 50