Kerbal Space Program

Kerbal Space Program

Is it theoretically possible to have a "surface" outpost on Jool?
Before you reply, yes I know it's a gas giant and doesn't have a solid surface that you could ever realistically reach. What I'm asking is whether it's possible to make an outpost that has a density low enough to float on the atmosphere of Jool instead of just falling too far in and getting crushed by the pressure.
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
Did they change the fact that Jool has a hard kill zone?
Originally posted by fauxpas:
Did they change the fact that Jool has a hard kill zone?
I don't think so, but I'm thinking it might be possible to float a structure with a very low density above that depth.
Originally posted by Marth Vader:
Originally posted by fauxpas:
Did they change the fact that Jool has a hard kill zone?
I don't think so, but I'm thinking it might be possible to float a structure with a very low density above that depth.


I seriously doubt its doable without engines (which means fuel), but good luck and let us know how close you are able to orbit.
If you disable parts being able to be crushed by atmospheric pressure, you can land on a solid surface. Though, you will never be able to get back to orbit again.
One day, with airship parts, cloud city will happen in KSP!
Originally posted by fauxpas:
Did they change the fact that Jool has a hard kill zone?

This. Last I tried to "land" on Jool it had a kill zone. Cross a certain point and your ship just goes poof.
Originally posted by Enorats:
Originally posted by fauxpas:
Did they change the fact that Jool has a hard kill zone?

This. Last I tried to "land" on Jool it had a kill zone. Cross a certain point and your ship just goes poof.
The kill zone is at -250 altitude I believe. I know the pressure is 15amu at an altitude of 0, but I don't know how quickly it increases beyond that. If someone knew what the pressure was right above -250, we could do a bit of math and figure out if a floating structure is possible.

Or I could just go true Kerbal and just launch stuff at Jool to see if it works.
Nothing in stock KSP is going to "float" in an atmo.

It could fly, but floating only works on water.

It's a video game using a very simplified set of rules to mimic real life after all.
I don't know why but for me Jool suddenly gained a surface at 0m above sea level. I even cheated a rover there to find out. It's a very broken surface with holes and strange sections of "Terrain" at 45 degree angles. I posted a screenshot of this "Surface".
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
Per page: 1530 50