Kerbal Space Program

Kerbal Space Program

 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
EULA, Redshell, all that wonderful stuff.
A thread made for merging anything about the EULA, GDPR or Redshell analytics. Discussion below. Personal attacks can and will be removed. No, I don't care how wrong the other side is. Refamiliarise yourselves with Steam's discussion rules and guidelines before posting. Have a nice day.

Nb: Since making this post, Red Shell has been removed in the 1.4.4 patch.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 2,449 comments
uhh wtf is up with the terms of service?
This game is legit spyware. If I delete this game will they still be able to collect data on my machine?
Same troll, same trolly post.

Yes; yes they can legally; granted without software that collects and then sends it to them how do you think they'll ever get your information? CIA Mind Control lasers? :steammocking:


Now the real question is WHY do you care if Take(2) has your hardware specs; the amount of time you play their game, and whether you play vanilla or modded (probably). I mean seriously; the data that Take(2) is interested in and collects is really no big deal.
Originally posted by AoD_lexandro:
Tinfoil hat store is thataway ---------->

Perhaps you need to read the EULA yourself to understand just how really bad this is. Here I'll quote it for you:

"By installing and using the Software, you consent to the information collection and usage terms set forth in this section and Licensor's Privacy Policy, including (where applicable) (i) the transfer of any personal information and other information to Licensor, its affiliates, vendors, and business partners, and to certain other third parties, such as governmental authorities, in the U.S. and other countries located outside Europe or your home country, including countries that may have lower standards of privacy protection; (ii) the public display of your data, such as identification of your user-created content or displaying your scores, ranking, achievements, and other gameplay data on websites and other platforms; (iii) the sharing of your gameplay data with hardware manufacturers, platform hosts, and Licensor's marketing partners; and (iv) other uses and disclosures of your personal information or other information as specified in the above-referenced Privacy Policy, as amended from time to time. If you do not want your information used or shared in this manner, then you should not use the Software."

and

"The information we collect may include personal information such as your first and/or last name, e-mail address, phone number, photo, mailing address, geolocation, or payment information. In addition, we may collect your age, gender, date of birth, zip code, hardware configuration, console ID, software products played, survey data, purchases, IP address and the systems you have played on. We may combine the information with your personal information and across other computers or devices that you may use."

By installing, running and playing this game you are agreeing to allow them to harvest all above data.

It is currently not stated if said data is transmitted in a secure method either. It may very well be transmitted in an open, un-secure method across the open internet to their remote servers as well, which would allow anyone anywhere in the world to capture and read said data between your computer and their server.
I'm new to this game I just took the time to read it. No tinfoil hats here, just a crazy eula. Doesnt matter tho its not legally binding so whatever
Originally posted by Space Lobster:
I'm new to this game I just took the time to read it. No tinfoil hats here, just a crazy eula. Doesnt matter tho its not legally binding so whatever

It doesn't matter if it's legally binding or not. They're still harvesting your personal data off of your computer every time you play the game! That's the big deal here!
Originally posted by Impending Rentacle Tape:
Originally posted by Space Lobster:
I'm new to this game I just took the time to read it. No tinfoil hats here, just a crazy eula. Doesnt matter tho its not legally binding so whatever

It doesn't matter if it's legally binding or not. They're still harvesting your personal data off of your computer every time you play the game! That's the big deal here!
yeah I know, but I don't think they are. Seems like a blanket policy.
Originally posted by Impending Rentacle Tape:
....confirm that KSP isn't sending data...

Would you accept confirmation that it does?
Originally posted by Manwith Noname:
Originally posted by Impending Rentacle Tape:
....confirm that KSP isn't sending data...

Would you accept confirmation that it does?

Yes, if it is from an established independent internet security company that analyzes it correctly. I would still actively block it anyway with a firewall software. But it would be good to know if it does or does not.
It does...but I'm not an internet security company though. I am however independent.
Originally posted by Impending Rentacle Tape:
Originally posted by Space Lobster:
I'm new to this game I just took the time to read it. No tinfoil hats here, just a crazy eula. Doesnt matter tho its not legally binding so whatever

It doesn't matter if it's legally binding or not. They're still harvesting your personal data off of your computer every time you play the game! That's the big deal here!


And the asnwer is to simply click the "uninstall" button; or as you've done; block KSP's ability to send/recieve data; just in case. That doesn't change the fact that the eula is Take(2)'s standard boilerplate eula that is designed to cover multiplayer games and mircotransactions.
Originally posted by Space Lobster:
This game is legit spyware. If I delete this game will they still be able to collect data on my machine?

Somebody has to pay for Jebediah Kerman's immortallity, why can't it be you??? They need to know if your machine has enough power to keep him alive.
Yeah, the TOS is what stopped me from playing this.

But hey, they obviously didn't want my business in the first place.
Originally posted by Travis the Moonstar:
Yeah, the TOS is what stopped me from playing this.

But hey, they obviously didn't want my business in the first place.


Which is your right.
I'm not tin foil hattery about any of this. They (Probably) do and (maybe) will collect user data for any and all Take2 games, including this one. I just thought folks should be aware of how scary the EULA is they agreed to. Especially for a single player game like KSP that has no microtransactions.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 2,449 comments
Per page: 1530 50