Kerbal Space Program

Kerbal Space Program

perikerb+apokerb
I am proposing a new set of terms, perikerb and apokerb.

The game uses periapsis and apoapsis throughout, and while these are ok, in real life there are more specific terms depending on what planet you are orbiting. Examples include things like perigee and perihelion, and I think these new terms would work. Possible add-on terms are peri/apojool, peri/apoeve and peri/apomo
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
I will keep using the generic ones personally as they are more widely understood and are used in the game.
Maybe it's just me but I tend to stick mostly to ingame terminology when they make sense, unless the community came up with specific terms that are both easier to use/understand and widely used (to the point where people need to lookup the ingame name instead).
Originally posted by seepie21:
I am proposing a new set of terms, perikerb and apokerb.

The game uses periapsis and apoapsis throughout, and while these are ok, in real life there are more specific terms depending on what planet you are orbiting. Examples include things like perigee and perihelion, and I think these new terms would work. Possible add-on terms are peri/apojool, peri/apoeve and peri/apomo
You can play RSS with principa and it will use terms like this.
I do like your thinking, but really, I prefer the generic apoapsis/periapsis, both in game and IRL.
Having a different prefix for every astronomical body seems needlessly convoluted. It's more of an historical hang up than being useful in any way.
I don't really expect people to use it, it is largely a joke with a bit of logic to back it up.
Yeah, even IRL that is not done for real. ;-)
Imagine coming up with apoSOMETHING for billions and billions of bodies lol. Even AI would burn down a few data centers trying to do that.
Originally posted by Tech Enthusiast:
Yeah, even IRL that is not done for real. ;-)
Imagine coming up with apoSOMETHING for billions and billions of bodies lol. Even AI would burn down a few data centers trying to do that.
Well you’d only need it for ones you need it for.
Originally posted by blowupguy:
Well you’d only need it for ones you need it for.

Which would be billions of bodies.
Originally posted by Tech Enthusiast:
Yeah, even IRL that is not done for real. ;-)
Imagine coming up with apoSOMETHING for billions and billions of bodies lol. Even AI would burn down a few data centers trying to do that.
It is used in real life, not commonly but occasionally.
You only need them for objects that have a use, not every clump of gravel a few metres across.
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
Per page: 1530 50