Far Cry® 3

Far Cry® 3

View Stats:
Made a modern compatibility patcher for Farcry 3, fixed DX 11 bug.
Full, followable list here, complete with download for patcher:

https://recursivedynamics.net/games/Farcry3/

Otherwise:

I got the Ubisoft Connect version of Far Cry 3 - it just one day vanished from my library (later to appear under Ubisoft+ collection as part of Xbox), I am only missing a few achievements - installed it off Xbox PC app, but - like a load of their old stuff - it doesn't work... Anyway, enough complaining:

Running on Windows 11 with a 32-thread Intel i9-14900K. These changes fixed the startup loop, processor-affinity corruption, DirectX 11 crash and 32-bit memory problems.

Why back up what doesn't work, and can be deleted and redownloaded?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
The automated fixer is now available from the website, or from this link:

https://recursivedynamics.net/games/Farcry3/FarCry3AutomaticFix.zip
Hey I appreciate your work! Trying to install this currently and having this error:


This installation does not match the supported game files:
- bin\systemdetection.dll: unsupported SHA-256 4F8862D233CE66B95DFAE592A3ECB2F6E3BA91447DD90F1B41AA6BCA3BDB0642

Fix not completed: No files were changed. Use the manual technical notes only after confirming that they apply to this exact game version.

Using a legit copy from Steam I purchased at launch, not sure why it's throwing that error.
That is the Xbox version of the systemdetection.dll and it is saying that it's not installing because it doesn't recognise the Steam one at all, so it's not right - thanks for letting me know - I will get to fixing that this weekend. It shouldn't even make that check, pointless - we want GOG versions to work as well.
The main thing is to always have ubisoft app open when launching, or for me there is no sound.

I will be back with an update soon.
Please, try again with a fresh download from the same source.

// also thanks - I own farcry 3 through the ubistore (2012 mistake) - I've removed all those platform and version checks now - hopefully it will patch and work for you.

If not, let me know - thanks.
Originally posted by Cap'n Saccade:
Please, try again with a fresh download from the same source.

// also thanks - I own farcry 3 through the ubistore (2012 mistake) - I've removed all those platform and version checks now - hopefully it will patch and work for you.

If not, let me know - thanks.
Hey thanks for the response! Was able to patch but unfortunately now getting this error when trying to boot the game:
https://imgur.com/a/4VYqLJM

Thank you
Hi - imgur is blocked in my country.

But - I've taken a look at it (finally found a free online proxy that worked) and will see what specific changes need to be made.

Will let you know.
Originally posted by Cap'n Saccade:
Hi - imgur is blocked in my country.

But - even with a VPN - the link you posted shows only a 404 not found page.

I'll take a look if you can host it somewhere accessible to the UK.
Hey sorry about that, apparently this one works in the UK :)
https://postimg.cc/BXczjYSZ
Thanks!

Anyway - thanks for the quick response - I got around it but - yeah be aware I'm in the UK and we're an internet nanny state.

It's a weird error - memory at 0 being referenced.. for why?

Ah - you have used the DX11 version instead - that's a known crash I didn't fix, as there's no need, same as the processor affinity, compatibility one, etc... they're no longer required.

I should've added to instructions:

1. ensure ubisoft software is open
2. launch through that (or farcry3.exe, while ubislop is open)
3. do all graphics settings in game
4. make an internet shortcut from the uplay launcher: uplay://launch/46/0 if you want a desktop icon.
Hey I got DX11 working!

I'll update the patcher so it does both DX9 and DX11 at the same time, and allows the player to choose which to use by default.

So I'll update the link with the new installer - that DX11 issue has been around for ages - why are there no devs working on getting the good games working and instead making woke-commie-infested bethesda trash with a side-serve of phone games and other out-dated shovelware for your 5070ti to be really pushed to the limits.

These fools are losing games because they don't do a few hours of update work - I've updated at least 3-4 games this weekend to work with win 10+11 and on modern hardware.

Instead - they just sell them in their broken state...
Such a disappointment. Especially from Ubisoft.
Installer has been updated to also fix DX11 mode.

During patching, it'll ask you which option you want set - pick option 2 - but it really doesn't matter if DX9 or 11, as you can set in game and just relaunch.

https://postimg.cc/LgBrMRNY

I appreciate the spur to improve the update for DX11.

You can download the new patcher, and find all the fixes to do manually if you want, from here:

https://recursivedynamics.net/games/Farcry3/
Originally posted by Cap'n Saccade:
Installer has been updated to also fix DX11 mode.

During patching, it'll ask you which option you want set - pick option 2 - but it really doesn't matter if DX9 or 11, as you can set in game and just relaunch.

https://postimg.cc/LgBrMRNY

I appreciate the spur to improve the update for DX11.

You can download the new patcher, and find all the fixes to do manually if you want, from here:

https://recursivedynamics.net/games/Farcry3/
Holy crap thank you so much! I was finally able to get in game!

For some reason it runs absolutely awful but thats ok at least I can even play the game now, I have something to work with to try and fix my fps. Thank you again so so much
I'm glad you got it running again. Thanks for testing it and confirming the fix works for others. You also helped me get DX11 working.

It's a shame about the performance. Mine runs perfectly at 4K:

Intel Core i9-14900K - 24 cores, 32 threads
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 5070 Ti - 16GB VRAM
32GB Corsair DDR5-5600 - dual-channel
1TB and 4TB WD_BLACK SN7100 NVMe SSDs
Acer Predator XB273K - 4K, 144Hz
Acer Predator XB281HK - 4K
Windows 11 Pro

If *anything* runs slowly on that PC, something serious is wrong, unless it's processing billions of collisions or particles.

I remember Far Cry 3 being demanding in 2012 on the hardware I was using - so I kind of lost interest in it until 2 computers later. But back then - it didn't need patching.

I'm using the latest NVIDIA drivers, but I can't suggest much without knowing your specs.

These may help:

https://www.reddit.com/r/farcry/comments/hrj6ar/far_cry_3_horrible_optimization_low_fps_on_a/

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Far_Cry_3

:virustrap:


// i guess proccesssor affinity should've been an option :/ Maybe I will remake this.
So anyone had luck weith this or is this some java drive by ♥♥♥♥♥♥?
Originally posted by Brazed:
So anyone had luck weith this or is this some java drive by ♥♥♥♥♥♥?
Worked for me, the game still had CPU issues where I had to turn off some cores to get my FPS running well but besides that yeah
Thanks for the feedback again Scalith - I've had a few people mention performance issues.

Perhaps I should update the readme to reflect that turning off some cores can help with performance issues.

They won't let me post about these patches in the r/farcry, so the only place for information about it is the steam guide or these forums.

I'll at least add it to the documentation - thanks again.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
Per page: 1530 50