ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

View Stats:
Linux compatibility under threat
GOD I am so upset, I'm so disappointing. this was the one AAA game I have been looking forwards to

I've just a bit recently gotten into AC through some of the older games playing AC7 has been a BLAST, I've been taking my time with it and building hype for the next game that is before i learn that Denuvo is going into the game. I'm a linux user and I don't have a windows system, now I learn theres going to be software that just, for no good reason. I don't see a steamdeck compatibility score either and now I see why, its probably just going to lock out linux users

its so frustrating, I honestly want to give them my money. I want to bring my friends into the series, I want to be excited but they just killed the hype for no good cause.
We as costumers deserve better, as fans we deserve better, AC should know better than to sabotage their own game launch, especially considering this is apparently something they have done before. why repeat the same mistake just to upset fans?


Well, a less rhetorical question, what other flight combat sims are you interested in? IL2 Korea is looking quite good
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
JFC. I'm getting so sick of people doomsaying over nonsense that literally ANY level of research would show the truth on.

Denuvo has not prevented people from playing on Linux for a LONG time. Quit with the ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥. Neither has EAC for that matter. There have been a TON of other Bandai-Namco games that had Denuvo, that ran just fine at launch, same with EAC.
Originally posted by airolsen:
GOD I am so upset, I'm so disappointing. this was the one AAA game I have been looking forwards to

I've just a bit recently gotten into AC through some of the older games playing AC7 has been a BLAST, I've been taking my time with it and building hype for the next game that is before i learn that Denuvo is going into the game. I'm a linux user and I don't have a windows system, now I learn theres going to be software that just, for no good reason. I don't see a steamdeck compatibility score either and now I see why, its probably just going to lock out linux users

its so frustrating, I honestly want to give them my money. I want to bring my friends into the series, I want to be excited but they just killed the hype for no good cause.
We as costumers deserve better, as fans we deserve better, AC should know better than to sabotage their own game launch, especially considering this is apparently something they have done before. why repeat the same mistake just to upset fans?


Well, a less rhetorical question, what other flight combat sims are you interested in? IL2 Korea is looking quite good
It does kinda suck, but mostly for the performance and potentially crippling modding, it should still run on linux via proton.
EAC is a tossup tho, kernel level EAC has an inconsistent track record, tho there is a version that works with linux via proton, but also could cause issues with modding.
I'll wait until at least Denuvo gets pulled, plenty of games to play in the mean time and I've already waited this long for AC8.

To answer the second question, "At Skies' Edge" looks cool, takes after AC4 in a lot of ways but still does it's own thing.
Originally posted by JtDarth:
JFC. I'm getting so sick of people doomsaying over nonsense that literally ANY level of research would show the truth on.

Denuvo has not prevented people from playing on Linux for a LONG time. Quit with the ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥. Neither has EAC for that matter. There have been a TON of other Bandai-Namco games that had Denuvo, that ran just fine at launch, same with EAC.

Actually EAC has but it wasn't EAC's fault. Halo MCC's EAC was borked for linux for... i think over a year after EAC started supporting linux. That was 343's fault, though.

EDIT: EAC might be a problem however. Apparently it does kernel-level anti-cheat, which is not available under Linux. If on release i find it's not working someone's getting a refund.
Originally posted by kohlrak:
Originally posted by JtDarth:
JFC. I'm getting so sick of people doomsaying over nonsense that literally ANY level of research would show the truth on.

Denuvo has not prevented people from playing on Linux for a LONG time. Quit with the ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥. Neither has EAC for that matter. There have been a TON of other Bandai-Namco games that had Denuvo, that ran just fine at launch, same with EAC.

Actually EAC has but it wasn't EAC's fault. Halo MCC's EAC was borked for linux for... i think over a year after EAC started supporting linux. That was 343's fault, though.

EDIT: EAC might be a problem however. Apparently it does kernel-level anti-cheat, which is not available under Linux. If on release i find it's not working someone's getting a refund.
OP only mentioned Deunvo, so I only covered Denuvo.
With regards to EAC.......
Once again, ANY LEVEL OF RESEARCH:
EAC has Linux support, and has for longer than most people realize, some devs/publisher just actively choose not to enable.it. Bandai-Namco is not amongst those that don't enable the linux support, as their other games that use EAC do support Linux multiplayer. I know this from personal experience. The pattern is established and it would be VERY strange for Bandai-Namco to deviate from it, with no visible reason for them to do so.
Originally posted by JtDarth:
Originally posted by kohlrak:

Actually EAC has but it wasn't EAC's fault. Halo MCC's EAC was borked for linux for... i think over a year after EAC started supporting linux. That was 343's fault, though.

EDIT: EAC might be a problem however. Apparently it does kernel-level anti-cheat, which is not available under Linux. If on release i find it's not working someone's getting a refund.
OP only mentioned Deunvo, so I only covered Denuvo.
With regards to EAC.......
Once again, ANY LEVEL OF RESEARCH:
EAC has Linux support, and has for longer than most people realize, some devs/publisher just actively choose not to enable.it. Bandai-Namco is not amongst those that don't enable the linux support, as their other games that use EAC do support Linux multiplayer. I know this from personal experience. The pattern is established and it would be VERY strange for Bandai-Namco to deviate from it, with no visible reason for them to do so.

If you did any level of reading, you'd know i know all of this, and you're telling me nothing. I mentioned Halo, being broken on Linux, but then not being broken on Linux. Bruh.
Theres no way it'll run on the deck with the minimum specs anyway.
Originally posted by highlybaked:
Theres no way it'll run on the deck with the minimum specs anyway.

Why would that matter?
Originally posted by kohlrak:
Originally posted by JtDarth:
OP only mentioned Deunvo, so I only covered Denuvo.
With regards to EAC.......
Once again, ANY LEVEL OF RESEARCH:
EAC has Linux support, and has for longer than most people realize, some devs/publisher just actively choose not to enable.it. Bandai-Namco is not amongst those that don't enable the linux support, as their other games that use EAC do support Linux multiplayer. I know this from personal experience. The pattern is established and it would be VERY strange for Bandai-Namco to deviate from it, with no visible reason for them to do so.

If you did any level of reading, you'd know i know all of this, and you're telling me nothing. I mentioned Halo, being broken on Linux, but then not being broken on Linux. Bruh.
You phrased it as if EAC would be an active concern in this game, which is what I took offense to. You also used phrases like 'apparently', indicating you were uncertain. I do not know why you've decided to act offended over me providing more complete info, and reiterating that people should, in fact, do research and think before posting about 'concerns' regarding Deunvo, EAC, or any other function or feature causing linux incompatibility issues.

Originally posted by kohlrak:
Originally posted by highlybaked:
Theres no way it'll run on the deck with the minimum specs anyway.

Why would that matter?
Because the OP brought it up. Don't pull that 'if you did any level of reading' type of comment, when you apparently can't be bothered to yourself.
Originally posted by JtDarth:
Originally posted by kohlrak:

If you did any level of reading, you'd know i know all of this, and you're telling me nothing. I mentioned Halo, being broken on Linux, but then not being broken on Linux. Bruh.
You phrased it as if EAC would be an active concern in this game, which is what I took offense to. You also used phrases like 'apparently', indicating you were uncertain. .

I do see it as a threat. Unless EAC was always kernel level on windows, this is a potential threat. There's talk about a kernel-level anti-cheat and while i'm aware EAC has a "linux compatibility" toggle, i was not aware of it prior being kernel level (which i could be wrong, i never paid much attention to EAC). It's well known that linux and kernel-level anti-cheats are incompatible.

I do not know why you've decided to act offended over me providing more complete info, and reiterating that people should, in fact, do research and think before posting about 'concerns' regarding Deunvo, EAC, or any other function or feature causing linux incompatibility issues

I don't know, maybe something about your tone comes off as hostile. Me, i took the time to google and saw that EAC is indeed kernel-level right now. Am i going to spend 20 minutes or longer looking into the history when google and every other search engine has been total trash for over a decade to look up just about any topic? I think not. I mean, i guess i could've used free credits on grok or something.

Originally posted by kohlrak:

Why would that matter?
Because the OP brought it up. Don't pull that 'if you did any level of reading' type of comment, when you apparently can't be bothered to yourself.

Literally made it clear in my post. You're being hostile, acting as if everyone's lazy, but you can't even read something that's right in front of your eyes, put for you on a silver platter? Or are you the type that needs to read something about 5 times to get it?
Originally posted by kohlrak:
Originally posted by JtDarth:
You phrased it as if EAC would be an active concern in this game, which is what I took offense to. You also used phrases like 'apparently', indicating you were uncertain. .

I do see it as a threat. Unless EAC was always kernel level on windows, this is a potential threat. There's talk about a kernel-level anti-cheat and while i'm aware EAC has a "linux compatibility" toggle, i was not aware of it prior being kernel level (which i could be wrong, i never paid much attention to EAC). It's well known that linux and kernel-level anti-cheats are incompatible.

I do not know why you've decided to act offended over me providing more complete info, and reiterating that people should, in fact, do research and think before posting about 'concerns' regarding Deunvo, EAC, or any other function or feature causing linux incompatibility issues

I don't know, maybe something about your tone comes off as hostile. Me, i took the time to google and saw that EAC is indeed kernel-level right now. Am i going to spend 20 minutes or longer looking into the history when google and every other search engine has been total trash for over a decade to look up just about any topic? I think not. I mean, i guess i could've used free credits on grok or something.

Because the OP brought it up. Don't pull that 'if you did any level of reading' type of comment, when you apparently can't be bothered to yourself.

Literally made it clear in my post. You're being hostile, acting as if everyone's lazy, but you can't even read something that's right in front of your eyes, put for you on a silver platter? Or are you the type that needs to read something about 5 times to get it?
As I said before, you didn't do the research, you just took the first post on google (or worse, it's AI summary) as gospel, which is exactly what I was complaining about with people not doing the research in the first place. It does not take 20 minutes to google 'was EAC always kernel-level' or otherwise ask follow-up questions before going onto forums to push false information because you can't be bothered to pass it through a basic veracity check before spreading it.

No, EAC is not a 'threat' to the game on Linux. Bandai-namco's prior established pattern, as well as the existence of a MULTITUDE of games that use EAC that run just fine on Linux prove otherwise, right out of the gate, Even if Bandai-Namco were the type to specifically block it on Linux, EAC would effect multiplayer, not singleplayer, same as it does in every other game that they've published with EAC.
EAC has ALWAYS been kernel level on Windows. The Linux version runs in userspace because it fundamentally CAN'T actually run at kernel level on Linux. Bandai Namco has an established prior history of EAC protected games they publish not being blocked on Linux. To my knowledge, the only ones they've published that don't do multiplayer on Linux are ones that were end of life before EAC added Linux support, and even those still allow singleplayer just fine.
The only 'threat' to Linux compatibility, isn't from EAC, it's from the potential of the developer or publisher actively choosing to disallow it, which is not the fault of EAC, and not a valid concern with this particular game. I've LITERALLY gone over this before, only for you to ignore it because you are too busy crashing out at the reminded that doing a bit of research would tell you this.

It's funny you accuse me of being hostile, while you are flinging nonsense about 'can't even read' and ignoring what was actually said to claim you 'literally made it clear in my post' when you didn't even REMOTELY address the quoted section about why the steam deck was brought up. Literally just proving, beyond shadow of a doubt that your 'can't be bothered to read' nonsense is just you projecting. All because of a single line stating 'Again, WITH ANY LEVEL OF RESEARCH' which indicates the info is out there to be found if you bother to look. THAT is the line that has you full on crashing out, and now labelling me as being 'hostile' for the crime of.........providing info, and advising people to actually look into things before posting?
You even actively ignored what I said about EAC itself in the first post I made mentioning it, to continue pushing it as a 'threat' after I'd already clarified why it's not, particularly for this game. Yet, again, you try to push that 'can't you even be bothered to read' nonsense. While demonstrating that you are too mad, too busy crashing out, to do so yourself.

EDIT: Spelling on a few words
Originally posted by JtDarth:
Originally posted by kohlrak:

I do see it as a threat. Unless EAC was always kernel level on windows, this is a potential threat. There's talk about a kernel-level anti-cheat and while i'm aware EAC has a "linux compatibility" toggle, i was not aware of it prior being kernel level (which i could be wrong, i never paid much attention to EAC). It's well known that linux and kernel-level anti-cheats are incompatible.



I don't know, maybe something about your tone comes off as hostile. Me, i took the time to google and saw that EAC is indeed kernel-level right now. Am i going to spend 20 minutes or longer looking into the history when google and every other search engine has been total trash for over a decade to look up just about any topic? I think not. I mean, i guess i could've used free credits on grok or something.



Literally made it clear in my post. You're being hostile, acting as if everyone's lazy, but you can't even read something that's right in front of your eyes, put for you on a silver platter? Or are you the type that needs to read something about 5 times to get it?
As I said before, you didn't do the research, you just took the first post on google (or worse, it's AI summary) as gospel, which is exactly what I was complaining about with people not doing the research in the first place. It does not take 20 minutes to google 'was EAC always kernel-level' or otherwise ask follow-up questions before going onto forums to push false information because you can't be bothered to pass it through a basic veracity check before spreading it.

No, EAC is not a 'threat' to the game on Linux. Bandai-namco's prior established pattern, as well as the existence of a MULTITUDE of games that use EAC that run just fine on Linux prove otherwise, right out of the gate, Even if Bandai-Namco were the type to specifically block it on Linux, EAC would effect multiplayer, not singleplayer, same as it does in every other game that they've published with EAC.
EAC has ALWAYS been kernel level on Windows. The Linux version runs in userspace because it fundamentally CAN'T actually run at kernel level on Linux. Bandai Namco has an established prior history of EAC protected games they publish not being blocked on Linux. To my knowledge, the only ones they've published that don't do multiplayer on Linux are ones that were end of life before EAC added Linux support, and even those still allow singleplayer just fine.
The only 'threat' to Linux compatibility, isn't from EAC, it's from the potential of the developer or publisher actively choosing to disallow it, which is not the fault of EAC, and not a valid concern with this particular game. I've LITERALLY gone over this before, only for you to ignore it because you are too busy crashing out at the reminded that doing a bit of research would tell you this.

It's funny you accuse me of being hostile, while you are flinging nonsense about 'can't even read' and ignoring what was actually said to claim you 'literally made it clear in my post' when you didn't even REMOTELY address the quoted section about why the steam deck was brought up. Literally just proving, beyond shadow of a doubt that your 'can't be bothered to read' nonsense is just you projecting. All because of a single line stating 'Again, WITH ANY LEVEL OF RESEARCH' which indicates the info is out there to be found if you bother to look. THAT is the line that has you full on crashing out, and now labelling me as being 'hostile' for the crime of.........providing info, and advising people to actually look into things before posting?
You even actively ignored what I said about EAC itself in the first post I made mentioning it, to continue pushing it as a 'threat' after I'd already clarified why it's not, particularly for this game. Yet, again, you try to push that 'can't you even be bothered to read' nonsense. While demonstrating that you are too mad, too busy crashing out, to do so yourself.

EDIT: Spelling on a few words

I decided to check up on you. How are you?
Originally posted by airolsen:
GOD I am so upset, I'm so disappointing. this was the one AAA game I have been looking forwards to

I've just a bit recently gotten into AC through some of the older games playing AC7 has been a BLAST, I've been taking my time with it and building hype for the next game that is before i learn that Denuvo is going into the game. I'm a linux user and I don't have a windows system, now I learn theres going to be software that just, for no good reason. I don't see a steamdeck compatibility score either and now I see why, its probably just going to lock out linux users

its so frustrating, I honestly want to give them my money. I want to bring my friends into the series, I want to be excited but they just killed the hype for no good cause.
We as costumers deserve better, as fans we deserve better, AC should know better than to sabotage their own game launch, especially considering this is apparently something they have done before. why repeat the same mistake just to upset fans?


Well, a less rhetorical question, what other flight combat sims are you interested in? IL2 Korea is looking quite good

And you, sir, appear to be a prophet. Good job.
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Per page: 1530 50