ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

View Stats:
Game worked fine for 3 days and now doesn't work.
I do not know what is going on, I feel like i've tried everything. I have reset the shader cache, I have reset my drivers, changed launch options, nothing works. for the last 3 days since launch I was able to boot up the game, have it run fine, load smoothly and quickly. but now when i go to launch it, i get stuck on a black screen. my cpu and ram both spike really high, my pc becomes so slow i can't even force it to quit. if i delete my shader cache i can make it to the main menu, but the game runs really badly and the loading takes forever.

what's going on? why does the game suddenly not work for me on the same pc that ran it fine yesterday, does anybody have any idea what to do?
< >
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
Hi, I have the same problem, the game ran "fine" until I tried to launch the multiplayer component, I ran into the training mode just for fun, and the game crashed. After that, when I launched it again,the game had the same problem you've just pointed out.

After running into some troubleshooting solutions, nothing seemed to fix my issue, than I tried to delete the NVIDIA Shader Cache related to the game shaders. IT WORKED! But obviously id've have to pre-load all of the shader again an ran into a lot of stutters when playing the game until it stabilizes again. Either way, if this ♥♥♥♥ happend again when trying to launch the multiplayer again, and another time when I tried to switch M+K to Joystick in mid flight.
That's what worked for me, but still, not a final solution.

Bandai really did a bad job porting this game to PC, and of course, running on UE5 doesn't help one bit when the team doesn't seems to b familiar with.
Originally posted by Johny Guitar:
Hi, I have the same problem, the game ran "fine" until I tried to launch the multiplayer component, I ran into the training mode just for fun, and the game crashed. After that, when I launched it again,the game had the same problem you've just pointed out.

After running into some troubleshooting solutions, nothing seemed to fix my issue, than I tried to delete the NVIDIA Shader Cache related to the game shaders. IT WORKED! But obviously id've have to pre-load all of the shader again an ran into a lot of stutters when playing the game until it stabilizes again. Either way, if this ♥♥♥♥ happend again when trying to launch the multiplayer again, and another time when I tried to switch M+K to Joystick in mid flight.
That's what worked for me, but still, not a final solution.

Bandai really did a bad job porting this game to PC, and of course, running on UE5 doesn't help one bit when the team doesn't seems to b familiar with.

Thanks, as I said before, I can get the game to launch if i delete or rebuild the shader cache. the problem comes from the fact that if the shader cache exists at all, I can not make it to the main menu anymore. if i delete the shader cache and then load and quit the game for *any reason* not just a crash, i can no longer get back in until i delete the shader cache again.

but also, my loading times are worse, it loaded quite quickly before, but now it takes several minutes to do anything not even including the long wait time on rebuilding the cache. thanks for trying, but the problem is not solved.

I'm just gonna uninstall it until they release a patch cause I already finished the campaign, and while I wait I'll sit here regretting not buying it on playstation.
Same here, it runs well for 3 days, then stuck at black screen , take 18 RAM and 100% GPU and 50% disk-speed and you got still black screen , it seems it's compiling shaders, but it's definitely going wrong somewhere. It makes this game feels suck
Yeah I've checked my cloud save it's facking 167.11 MB !!! Fix your gadom game bandai!!!
I've done a quick research. It seems to be 2 problems: somehow shader need to recompile problem and an anti-cheat bug problem, the first one can be wait for recompiling done but the second one is the real killer for endless black-screen and make your SSD and RAM usage go crazy. And it is common to be found this problem won't appear for the first few days.
There 're side effects: you can't open ac0 too, and your cloud save goes 100MB takes away your steam cloud save usage.
Anyway, I'll re-download the whole game and see what happens next.
This is the most disgusting thing among all my steam apps. Such a shame.
I've re-downloaded, everything goes well for now. I'll keep looking if this changes after 72h.
And I forced my Windows Virtual Memory Usage to 32GB(to avoid possible future same issue), and avoid enter multi-player mode(for maybe that's where things went wrong).
PS: good news: my ac0 save also get cloud saved, thank for your 167MB cloud save Bandai ?!
Mine did the same thing, was fine for a few days, then long load times, then stuttering, lagging, sound chopping and eventually, started today, game crashing when trying to play either online or campaign.

The main issue is that there is a huge memory leak with the game. Good news, namco/bandai have seen the reports and are actively investigating it to see if there can be a fix for it.
Originally posted by chango:
And I forced my Windows Virtual Memory Usage to 32GB(to avoid possible future same issue), and avoid enter multi-player mode(for maybe that's where things went wrong).

I dont think its mutiplayer mode in general, when I played it, it worked fine with no issues. But the problems began when I wanted to play campaign to find all the hidden planes in the campaign. Whatever is causing the memory leak which is the main cause of it, hopefully it'll be fixed like asap
Originally posted by MaxitheBraixen:
Originally posted by chango:
And I forced my Windows Virtual Memory Usage to 32GB(to avoid possible future same issue), and avoid enter multi-player mode(for maybe that's where things went wrong).

I dont think its mutiplayer mode in general, when I played it, it worked fine with no issues. But the problems began when I wanted to play campaign to find all the hidden planes in the campaign. Whatever is causing the memory leak which is the main cause of it, hopefully it'll be fixed like asap
Just to be sure, have you ever entered multiplayer mode once? For me I never played once but I entered the lobby to see what's around for one time.
Bumping this up as I'm in the same boat. I've played like around 1 week (including advance access) and suddenly game has issues launching.

So far I've tried verifying files and reinstalling. Hasn't worked so far. I have finished the story twice already so I'm not too much in a rush to stress about it. But not being continue to progress achievements when I'm in the mood to kinda sucks lol...

If EAC is one of the main issues, I would prefer a way to bypass it somehow. Mainly because I'm not interested in playing multi.
Originally posted by Rahkshi:
I do not know what is going on, I feel like i've tried everything. I have reset the shader cache, I have reset my drivers, changed launch options, nothing works. for the last 3 days since launch I was able to boot up the game, have it run fine, load smoothly and quickly. but now when i go to launch it, i get stuck on a black screen. my cpu and ram both spike really high, my pc becomes so slow i can't even force it to quit. if i delete my shader cache i can make it to the main menu, but the game runs really badly and the loading takes forever.

what's going on? why does the game suddenly not work for me on the same pc that ran it fine yesterday, does anybody have any idea what to do?

Posted in other thread:

If any of you are on the latest nvidia drivers I recommend not using those at all. It's a known meme that games beg you to use the latest drivers even though they are bug filled garbage. I was happily enjoying the game on six month old drivers (595.97) and after the game begging with that "your drivers have known issues" ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ I tried it out to see if it was any better.

It was far worse, and introduced new bugs, the best of which: controller disconnecting will crash the game almost every time. So I went happily back to my old drivers without issues again. Only have a 4060ti and I run the game smooth medium on 2k/60fps with medium, DLSS balanced, models and clouds on high.

I also had the issue on latest drivers with the game launching to a black screen repeatedly and thus I went back to my old drivers without issue.

Known issue: UE5 input handling and window's timeout detection and recovery (TDR) discrepancy where the system lag caused by controller disconnect instead of giving the program time to recover (TDR) instantly cuts the GPU connection which kills the game.
< >
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
Per page: 1530 50