ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

View Stats:
(SPOILERS) Story opinions after finishing
I thought it was a much better story than 7s and a good length too, but maybe a little lacking in creativity.

I love the more personal focus of the story where you learn a tiny bit more about your wingmen and crew but there's just not enough of it. Maybe they were trying to go for a more personal AC 5 type of story? I didn't like how you already started out with so much notoriety and didn't really "earn" it.

While there were a couple of "oh ♥♥♥♥" surprise and epic moments, there just wasn't enough of it - or at least better ones that felt more earned.

I'm not a big fan of the "boss" machines and wanted more of a focus on skilled enemy pilots, not just the Lux Lukaka. Zero did this the best while 5 had a more satisfying overall story. I thought after that one behind enemy lines scene the story would shift more in that personal war between ace pilots.

And I feel as if there are so many weird plot holes. Maybe they didn't want to make the story too complicated so they kept everything as simple as possible.

Still, the game is fantastic and I already can't wait to play the next one in a couple years if there is a next one. This is the only game I had spent a full $60 on and didn't regret it.
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
My main thing with the ending is that we're clearly setting up hard for AC3 Electrosphere and I hope the next game is NOT an AC3 remake.
I want the writers to be free to make a new story instead of just copy pasting Electrosphere.

I'm hoping it'll be something new because in the ending they say it will take 15 years to recover to a pre-war status quo, which would put is 5 years AFTER AC3
Keeping the events of that game as a simulation of the intercorporate war is fine. Because AC9 can be the *actual* war. Which somehow ends up different from the Nemo simulation.

Also is anyone else amused by how much AC8 copied from Project Wingman and did everything that game did SO much better.
Originally posted by Captain Cracksnort:
Keeping the events of that game as a simulation of the intercorporate war is fine. Because AC9 can be the *actual* war. Which somehow ends up different from the Nemo simulation.

I figured that's what D..D is meant to be set up as, when he says you made him real. I think he's going to play a role in the real events of AC3 being different.
I thought the story was serviceable. Certainly better than 7's, since this one is actually complete. It's cool to see the AC3 tie-ins - I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last game though.

I didn't care for most of the characters, so the character moments at the end of the game felt unearned to me.. (I hope the carrier landing is skippable next time..) I liked the last Ace boss though. Maybe they'll grow on me as I do all the playthroughs.

I wish the super weapons were more super. The railguns are certainly cool but they appear too often to feel special - and certainly aren't a threat until the Ace boss rapid fires one at you lol.

How did you all feel about Cope's ghost? That all bounced off me for sure, I couldn't take his monologues seriously - especially in the latter third of the game when your flightmates are talking about his flying as if he were a real Ace pilot lol. It seems to me right now that the ghost existed mostly to remind the player that Cope existed, but I'm curious to hear other's opinions.
Agree. Enemy aces in AC8 have weak aura :steambored:
Originally posted by Keyes:
I thought the story was serviceable. Certainly better than 7's, since this one is actually complete. It's cool to see the AC3 tie-ins - I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last game though.


How did you all feel about Cope's ghost? That all bounced off me for sure, I couldn't take his monologues seriously - especially in the latter third of the game when your flightmates are talking about his flying as if he were a real Ace pilot lol. It seems to me right now that the ghost existed mostly to remind the player that Cope existed, but I'm curious to hear other's opinions.

What makes you think this is the last game???

I loved the ghost personally, it was such a weird curve ball. I don't think any previous AC has given us any lore on religion or the afterlife in Strange Real in anyway. I enjoyed his weird cryptic comments and his numerophobia rubbed off on me pretty quick.
I initially thought that Cope's "ghost" was going to turn out to be an AI or something. Another AC 3 callback/callforward.
I think Cope was probably an Ace level pilot before the war, but he refused to turn his back on Sotoa and became a pacifist.
Originally posted by Captain Cracksnort:
Originally posted by Keyes:
I thought the story was serviceable. Certainly better than 7's, since this one is actually complete. It's cool to see the AC3 tie-ins - I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last game though.


How did you all feel about Cope's ghost? That all bounced off me for sure, I couldn't take his monologues seriously - especially in the latter third of the game when your flightmates are talking about his flying as if he were a real Ace pilot lol. It seems to me right now that the ghost existed mostly to remind the player that Cope existed, but I'm curious to hear other's opinions.

What makes you think this is the last game???

I loved the ghost personally, it was such a weird curve ball. I don't think any previous AC has given us any lore on religion or the afterlife in Strange Real in anyway. I enjoyed his weird cryptic comments and his numerophobia rubbed off on me pretty quick.
I initially thought that Cope's "ghost" was going to turn out to be an AI or something. Another AC 3 callback/callforward.
I think Cope was probably an Ace level pilot before the war, but he refused to turn his back on Sotoa and became a pacifist.

Yeah, I thought we were going to get more details on Cope's backstory and his short relationship with Moon 11. Maybe even Cope giving Rex some hints about the Lux ace pilot and Moon 11 that Rex wouldn't have otherwise known. Some more backstory on those aces would have made their boss battle feel more meaningful like the last one in Zero. That would have been an interesting plot twist when those pilots start to recognize the flying. I thought that was why they decided to have his voice haunt Rex so much lol.

There wasn't a lot of details on how good of a pilot Cope was but only the fact that he runs away from a lot of fights. The wings group seem to think he was a decent pilot though.
The story for me is cheesy and over the top in a good way, i can sense baxter death from mile away but it still got me in the end

Mission 28 is the peak of the game for me, the classic the enemy and friend you meet along your journey all coming tp support you in the final moment, and the moment i heard "im not dead dammnit" i just start blasting

And the ost helped too increase the hype in the moment you are in
I liked it for the most part, but the part at the end where Joker Flight defeats Paul Bunyan 2 and leaves orbit while flying towards the moon was a bit much.
I agree, I want AC to focus more on Ace fights and character development like in Zero and 4. I like corny stories but it's much easier to tell a compelling story if you just focus on the characters. 4 was a perfect example of keeping it simple and being kino.
Originally posted by ureaditwrong:
I agree, I want AC to focus more on Ace fights and character development like in Zero and 4. I like corny stories but it's much easier to tell a compelling story if you just focus on the characters. 4 was a perfect example of keeping it simple and being kino.

Exactly! I think we all can see the overall narrative with the war and it's progression over the game is kind of weak. Ace Combat has always had these types of stories. If they're worried about making the war and story too complicated, just focus on the interpersonal dynamics of the pilots and enemy aces just like 4 and Zero.

For example that more focused section with Moon 11 was fantastic. It doesn't have to be a duel like that for the other aces, but a more individual and unique gameplay change during a regular mission.
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
Per page: 1530 50