ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

View Stats:
What the hell is with mission 28
I've fired over 80 missiles at shadow 22 all from dead rear and he dodges every single one. Am I genuinely just not supposed to shoot him down?
Originally posted by Jaes:
You need to bait. The PSM maneuvers aren't infallible.

Basically, what you want to do is catch them at the end of the maneuver, they will be low energy and vulnerable to attacks at this moment, but your timing needs to be spot on for a missile to connect. Machine Guns are also very effective at killing the Shadows when they're at the end of the maneuver.

You can also cheese the engagement by using QAAMs and the Special Weapon Air-to-Air Power and Guidance parts, those two combined make QAAMs AC4 levels of OP. You will still need to bait out the PSM dodge, but the QAAM allows a much wider window for the missile to connect and with the power boost, it will one-hit-kill them.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
Guns are better than missiles for this.
Skill issue - Just use mg
I would love to but trying to use the MG on anything but a stationary target feels impossible with how the reticle goes wild if they turn even a little bit
You can resupply during the fight. Just spam QAAMs.
My first play through campaign I had to use guns.

After that, I used SP missile types like SASM since it doesn't require direct hit and explodes.
Originally posted by Cyanide:
I would love to but trying to use the MG on anything but a stationary target feels impossible with how the reticle goes wild if they turn even a little bit
There is an upgrade that auto fires the gun when he's in range.
Originally posted by ToJKa:
You can resupply during the fight. Just spam QAAMs.
Will keep that in mind, was assuming I couldn't anymore cause it was a bossfight.
Originally posted by NairBoT:
My first play through campaign I had to use guns.

After that, I used SP missile types like SASM since it doesn't require direct hit and explodes.
F-22 doesn't have SASM sadly.
Fire a MSL to provoke a PSM, fire 2 SASM's or QAAM's while they spin in kulbit. Rinse and repeat.
The author of this thread has indicated that this post answers the original topic.
You need to bait. The PSM maneuvers aren't infallible.

Basically, what you want to do is catch them at the end of the maneuver, they will be low energy and vulnerable to attacks at this moment, but your timing needs to be spot on for a missile to connect. Machine Guns are also very effective at killing the Shadows when they're at the end of the maneuver.

You can also cheese the engagement by using QAAMs and the Special Weapon Air-to-Air Power and Guidance parts, those two combined make QAAMs AC4 levels of OP. You will still need to bait out the PSM dodge, but the QAAM allows a much wider window for the missile to connect and with the power boost, it will one-hit-kill them.
Originally posted by Jaes:
You need to bait. The PSM maneuvers aren't infallible.

Basically, what you want to do is catch them at the end of the maneuver, they will be low energy and vulnerable to attacks at this moment, but your timing needs to be spot on for a missile to connect. Machine Guns are also very effective at killing the Shadows when they're at the end of the maneuver.

You can also cheese the engagement by using QAAMs and the Special Weapon Air-to-Air Power and Guidance parts, those two combined make QAAMs AC4 levels of OP. You will still need to bait out the PSM dodge, but the QAAM allows a much wider window for the missile to connect and with the power boost, it will one-hit-kill them.
Noted. I managed to do it by kind of just getting lucky by them PSMing straight into my missiles but for the next playthrough will try this.
3 ways I beat him in different difficulties: Pilot, Veteran and Elite(?)
First on Pilot difficulty playthrough I just gun the dude if he pulls the cobra-looking nonsense.

On Veteran I tried a QAAM build with speed, guidance and payload. Lure him out with regular missiles or QAAM him if he flies off. Gun him if he pulls the same manuver.

On Elite for giggles I used SASM and it basically became easy mode. Similar build with the parts.
Originally posted by JSlayer527:
Skill issue - Just use mg
Type B gunsight is better than the default in gameplay settings.
I shot them down alright. gotta get closer and time it perfectly. i had standard missiles with the speed boost so he had less time to react.
What bothers me most is the fact that you can easily obtain the score for finisihing the destruction submission before the submission has even startet. So you think "Yeah I have got this" only to receive rang B afterwards.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
Per page: 1530 50