ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

View Stats:
Multiplayer is worse than I thought
I knew it might be rough going in, but it is genuinely impressive how awful it is. Just a completely bloated grindy mess with a maze of menus, and trying to play is just feeling like I'm doing nothing as everyone else on the team runs around in Morgans and wipes the entire enemy force by the time I get one kill.

Do y'all think they'll genuinely fix it or will it be a part of the game I end up completely ignoring because I actually want to enjoy my life instead of waste probably dozens of hours grinding for good planes?

It just feels like they tried way too hard to innovate instead of just using AC7's multiplayer as a base.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 31 comments
Just had the same experience and closed it after 3 matches.

Wild to not have any matchmaking. So you just pop in and either watch people clear the map in 2 minutes or join a pvp match and be completely outclassed.

Even quitting is needlessly complicated. Hit TAB then press RETURN then you finally get the menu....because obviously....


All I was hoping for was to get to do campaign missions with a buddy. Instead we got whatever this ADHD mess is.
It takes some time, and probably a few upgrades / parts, but you'll find the thing you're good at. I started out sucking royally - I was lucky to get 10k points in a match, and was usually 5k or so. Then I unlocked bombs for the standard default jet - the F-4E I believe? - and now I'm pretty often near or at the top of the match because I see ground in the mission screen, I bring my big boombas to play. While these Pixies and Falcons and MiGs are busy shooting missiles at a bunker hoping they eventually blow it up, I come sailing in and drop Big Bertha on it and boom - no more bunker. Took me, what, 10 seconds? 11, tops.

Also, make sure you note what types of aircraft are favored for the mission - blue, red, purple, or green. Blue is air, purple is hybrid, red is ground, and green is ECM. If you don't know what to pick, take a purple. They won't excel at any specific thing, but they won't suck at any specific thing, either.
literarely a week after launch, the "superfighter" became a rare sight as others are just plain better XD I am among the ONLY ONES to fly her every now and then.
Originally posted by -=EDF=- Kouta Seto:
literarely a week after launch, the "superfighter" became a rare sight as others are just plain better XD I am among the ONLY ONES to fly her every now and then.

I see them constantly. They are outclassed by specialist airplanes, but a <=1500 plane can't do anything against a Morgan with an upgraded TLS and good aim in Warfare. Not sure why AC8 did not launch with cost matchmaking when AC7 had it day one.
I need to grind like 20 days of general blueprints to upgrade the growler, to get the general blueprints i need to do sorties or emergency deployments, just now played about 2 hours without getting one, the grind is insane
How are people still complaining about the Morgan.
I regularly score higher than morgan players in a F4E. If anything MIG31 and F14D are way more annoying with their LAAMs.
Except General Blueprints the grind is ok in my opinion. If they streamline scramble and emergency sortie availability i think its fine.
Menus are horrible though.
My favorite part is the aircraft upgrades. You level up your plane and get minor improvements to various stats (They wont tell you what). So if you buy a new plane, becuase you saw someone else using it and it looked like fun, well congratulations. You have to play for hours to boost up its level before your allowed to attempt to play like anyone else.

In PVE this isn't a big deal because honestly I do not care about winning or scoring anymore, someone in a maxed out jet from 1912 will handle that for me. But in PVP this results in mirror matches that you are destined by god to loose becuase the other person is unemployed.

There are like 4 maps for PVP and PVE total, and theres no casual PVE mode, you either compete with the other team to score kills on one of maybe 30 enemies in a zone or you compete to kill one of maybe 30 enemies in a zone, but now im allowed to kill the enemy team. I continue playing multiplayer (Like 8 matches a day) not because I am enjoying my time (I do love getting throttled by an enemy Mig because I diddnt do the challenge where you piss six feet up in the air without getting wet and thus am missing the boxed lunch upgrade that makes your pilot turn their ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ neck to track targets (Still salty about M&K controls.) or I feel as though my skills can improve, but because I have to finish this stupid battlepass in 60 days or nebulously bad things presumably happen.
My favorite part is the aircraft upgrades. You level up your plane and get minor improvements to various stats (They wont tell you what). So if you buy a new plane, becuase you saw someone else using it and it looked like fun, well congratulations. You have to play for hours to boost up its level before your allowed to attempt to play like anyone else.

In PVE this isn't a big deal because honestly I do not care about winning or scoring anymore, someone in a maxed out jet from 1912 will handle that for me. But in PVP this results in mirror matches that you are destined by god to loose becuase the other person is unemployed.

There are like 4 maps for PVP and PVE total, and theres no casual PVE mode, you either compete with the other team to score kills on one of maybe 30 enemies in a zone or you compete to kill one of maybe 30 enemies in a zone, but now im allowed to kill the enemy team. I continue playing multiplayer (Like 8 matches a day) not because I am enjoying my time (I do love getting throttled by an enemy Mig because I diddnt do the challenge where you piss six feet up in the air without getting wet and thus am missing the boxed lunch upgrade that makes your pilot turn their ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ neck to track targets (Still salty about M&K controls.) or I feel as though my skills can improve, but because I have to finish this stupid battlepass in 60 days or nebulously bad things presumably happen.
I'd say use some cash (in-game cash, not ace coins) and buy an upgrade or two from the shop - the enhanced missile guidance one is overall pretty good and can be tossed on any jet and it's just a straight-up boost to your damage output, as the missiles track better then.

And there is a sizeable difference between the 1-star and 2-star parts. Plus you can combine them! Toss both missile tracking enhancements on your jet! But they also have ones for acceleration and top speed and stuff too.
Originally posted by Calsetes:
It takes some time, and probably a few upgrades / parts, but you'll find the thing you're good at. I started out sucking royally - I was lucky to get 10k points in a match, and was usually 5k or so. Then I unlocked bombs for the standard default jet - the F-4E I believe? - and now I'm pretty often near or at the top of the match because I see ground in the mission screen, I bring my big boombas to play. While these Pixies and Falcons and MiGs are busy shooting missiles at a bunker hoping they eventually blow it up, I come sailing in and drop Big Bertha on it and boom - no more bunker. Took me, what, 10 seconds? 11, tops.

Also, make sure you note what types of aircraft are favored for the mission - blue, red, purple, or green. Blue is air, purple is hybrid, red is ground, and green is ECM. If you don't know what to pick, take a purple. They won't excel at any specific thing, but they won't suck at any specific thing, either.
Nice tips. Will try it out later.
Yeah... I pretty gave up on multiplayer after not even 10 rounds.

I mean, I'm only in it for the co-op, so I knew there's not going to be a lot of variety, but man... co-op assauly is literally just farming ground targets, except you don't get to farm them because they have 2x health compared to the campaign, there's less of them AND you're for some reason competing with your own teammates who all have A10s and other far more advanced planes than you.

And don't even get me started on the time limit. The missions are over in what feels like 3 minutes. Do they expect me to grind these missions for hours on end, only do be denied an upgrade to my plane because I lack some sort of blueprint?

Man, I'm done with multiplayer. "Biggest ever" online mode and they can't even give me a missions that lasts longer than the matchmaking.
Having Morgan won't fix the boredom.

The rewards for grind are so laughably bad that it lowers your opinion of the game.
At least you can play multiplayer. A lot of us can't even get into a match getting different error codes such as ST-3200003
I just dont understand why they couldnt have just given us a bunch of different versions of the destruction missions from the campaign as 2-4 person coop.

I wouldn't mind grinding those out and doing different planes to take on different aspects of the mission. One teammate to concentrate on AA another on taking our counter fighters.

But no instead we got this needlessly competitive garbage on much too small maps for 8 players to be flying around in.

It just reeks of them being scared players will loose interest in a mission once its crossed the 30 second duration mark.


Its not like we need an in depth story for the maps. Just make a couple big maps scatter different bases around them, randomize what spawns at them to some degree. ie fuel transport/ gas tanks in one, airfield in another, command units with artillery, and one with heavy ground AA defenses around some bunkers. It doesnt have to be that deep, but give us at least something to flipping do.
I mean this is just AC Infinity 2.0 which has some of the very glaring issues, need not to mention some people have early access so that makes late comers even at a disadvantage PvE and PvP wise
Originally posted by Indigent:
I need to grind like 20 days of general blueprints to upgrade the growler, to get the general blueprints i need to do sorties or emergency deployments, just now played about 2 hours without getting one, the grind is insane
3 more hours and still have not got enough of the special mission to get the 5 lousy general blueprints a day... this is insane
< >
Showing 1-15 of 31 comments
Per page: 1530 50