ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

View Stats:
Corrupted save data due to power loss.
Here is what happened: after receiving the Mission 22 debriefing, the power cut out during the loading screen that appears before the aircraft selection menu.

Please implement a system for additional backup saves, at least for the campaign. As the title explains, I lost my progress due to a power outage; when I launched the game, it prompted me to create new data, but this synced with Steam and I couldn't recover my save from the cloud. Just as the game creates replay files, it could also create multiple backup save files to prevent this issue.

For now, and for those reading this, I would recommend performing a manual backup.
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
Have you tried checking your steam cloud to see if you have a usable save there?
Originally posted by Waffel Diver:
Have you tried checking your steam cloud to see if you have a usable save there?
That was one of the first things I tried; unfortunately, the saved game is from a point after the new data was created, so it doesn't have any records of the previous data.

EDIT:
As an aside, I should mention that mission replay data was indeed saved up to mission 22, but the game automatically deletes it, stating that it is incompatible with the current version; I assume it doesn't match the records of a new campaign, which is why it gets discarded.
Same issue with no fix that I know of sadly
Originally posted by Mashingon:
Here is what happened: after receiving the Mission 22 debriefing, the power cut out during the loading screen that appears before the aircraft selection menu.

Please implement a system for additional backup saves, at least for the campaign. As the title explains, I lost my progress due to a power outage; when I launched the game, it prompted me to create new data, but this synced with Steam and I couldn't recover my save from the cloud. Just as the game creates replay files, it could also create multiple backup save files to prevent this issue.

For now, and for those reading this, I would recommend performing a manual backup.

It's a crude solution, but try and keep an offline copy of your saves next time. Data corruption due to power loss is a story as old as computers themselves, there really is no fix for it because of how random it is
Originally posted by Master:
Originally posted by Mashingon:
Here is what happened: after receiving the Mission 22 debriefing, the power cut out during the loading screen that appears before the aircraft selection menu.

Please implement a system for additional backup saves, at least for the campaign. As the title explains, I lost my progress due to a power outage; when I launched the game, it prompted me to create new data, but this synced with Steam and I couldn't recover my save from the cloud. Just as the game creates replay files, it could also create multiple backup save files to prevent this issue.

For now, and for those reading this, I would recommend performing a manual backup.

It's a crude solution, but try and keep an offline copy of your saves next time. Data corruption due to power loss is a story as old as computers themselves, there really is no fix for it because of how random it is

If that’s true and I understand that these things happen and are inherent to the technology just imagine a prominent figure, like a media outlet or an influencer, running into this problem. If they have such a bad experience right from the start, their opinion could end up negatively affecting the game's popularity.
Look at Skyrim for example: its autosave system keeps up to three files, each representing a slightly different stage of progress; if the most recent one gets corrupted, there are still two backups left, so the loss of progress isn't all that significant.
I recommend a UPS for crap like this. I've had one for years and it's saved my ass on not losing work progress etc.
Originally posted by Lazy Canuck:
Same issue with no fix that I know of sadly
I think there was a solution; the game warns, "Data is corrupt; do you want to create new data?" and when you choose to create new data, it issues another warning: "This *might* erase your progress."

If, instead of "might"—which could be interpreted to mean the game might recover it—it had explicitly stated that it would permanently delete the data, I probably would have looked for another solution. And there actually was one: you could delete the corrupt local data, and Steam would download a previous copy. However, by creating new data over the corrupt files and exiting the game, that new data overwrote what was already in the cloud.

It’s a sad story—I found this out while experimenting with the save files, but only after the new data had already been updated. Also, I don't know why the game saves replay files if they can't actually be viewed in-game; they're meant for the post-mission review, but otherwise seem useless—they could have been backup copies instead.
:TEDDY_BEAR:
Originally posted by Mashingon:
Also, I don't know why the game saves replay files if they can't actually be viewed in-game; they're meant for the post-mission review, but otherwise seem useless—they could have been backup copies instead.
:TEDDY_BEAR:

You can view replays in the replay viewer.
Originally posted by Jonathan J. O'Neill:
Originally posted by Mashingon:
Also, I don't know why the game saves replay files if they can't actually be viewed in-game; they're meant for the post-mission review, but otherwise seem useless—they could have been backup copies instead.
:TEDDY_BEAR:

You can view replays in the replay viewer.
I was browsing through the menus looking for that feature but didn't seem to come across it, which is why I assumed the save files were pointless; perhaps I overlooked a menu.
Originally posted by Mashingon:
Originally posted by Master:

It's a crude solution, but try and keep an offline copy of your saves next time. Data corruption due to power loss is a story as old as computers themselves, there really is no fix for it because of how random it is

If that’s true and I understand that these things happen and are inherent to the technology just imagine a prominent figure, like a media outlet or an influencer, running into this problem. If they have such a bad experience right from the start, their opinion could end up negatively affecting the game's popularity.
Look at Skyrim for example: its autosave system keeps up to three files, each representing a slightly different stage of progress; if the most recent one gets corrupted, there are still two backups left, so the loss of progress isn't all that significant.

These things have happened to influencers, but that in itself doesn't mean anything because the data corruption could happen to anything from a simple notepad file to a full game or even a video being edited
For what we have something like Steam cloud for saves, if even this directly overrides everything....

Today i got likely the same problem. PC restart, after the debriefing and lost my savegame. I was a bit pissed.
every modern game produces several backups. But Ace 8 does not....
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
Per page: 1530 50