ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

View Stats:
A-6E only attacker with carrier support?
So I'm thinking about doing an attacker only playthrough next, for the medal. But it looks like the A-6E is the only attacker that has carrier support and I don't like the idea of having to use this plane in one of the later missions.

I kinda hoped for an unlock of another attacker plane maybe after finishing the campaign but all i got was disappointment.
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
The only one, yes. Equip your squad with planes that cover it's weaknessess. F/A-18Ds or Es or the EA-18G.
I hoped I just missed something. What a bummer. I like that they put more attackers in the game this time but it feels like an oversight that every class got a carrier capable plane in the higher tiers except them.
The A-6E was the last "Attack" aircraft designed to be launched from a carrier and that was retired in '97.

The Navy went from attackers to multi-role and strike fighters. So it makes sense.
That's why I hoped they add another X plane for that role as an unlock post campaign.
I'd be willing to bet they will be releasing at least one as a battle pass/DLC at some point soon. :/
Here's hoping we get some of the whole host of fantasy planes they've made from the past, i haven't tried it myself, but the other option MIGHT be do free flight and just do the missions with any aircraft and not story ones.
Originally posted by Jonathan J. O'Neill:
The A-6E was the last "Attack" aircraft designed to be launched from a carrier and that was retired in '97.

The Navy went from attackers to multi-role and strike fighters. So it makes sense.

Yeah, pretty much this. Cold War and before the USN's carrier air groups had a lot more specialized squadrons. Classic 1980s Tomcats were doing fighters only (VF squadrons, Fixed Wing Fighter). There were dedicated attack squadrons of A-4, A-7, A-6 (all of which were VA squadrons, Fixed Wing Attack)

The last hurrah for this sort of stuff in abundance was Desert Shield / Desert Storm from the very early 1990s. After this and the end of the Cold War with military drawdowns, the USN slimmed it down considerably. F-14 still hung around until the 2000s. Fighter Attack F/A-18A - C models (VFA squadrons) made up the bulk until they themselves were supplanted by Super Hornets. Super Hornets and their multirole mission they inherited from their predecessors still are VFA squadrons.

Last pure fighter squadrons of the USN were Tomcats.

Also, I thought one of the Russian planes in the game was carrier capable. Su-33 is carrier capable but it's multi-role.

I'm trying to think of a modern, 2000s or later aircraft that was a dedicated ground pounding, carrier based plane. I'm drawing blanks because the world has pretty much gone with fighters with a bunch of multi-role aircraft for a while now.
Originally posted by wombat93:
Originally posted by Jonathan J. O'Neill:
The A-6E was the last "Attack" aircraft designed to be launched from a carrier and that was retired in '97.

The Navy went from attackers to multi-role and strike fighters. So it makes sense.

Yeah, pretty much this. Cold War and before the USN's carrier air groups had a lot more specialized squadrons. Classic 1980s Tomcats were doing fighters only (VF squadrons, Fixed Wing Fighter). There were dedicated attack squadrons of A-4, A-7, A-6 (all of which were VA squadrons, Fixed Wing Attack)

The last hurrah for this sort of stuff in abundance was Desert Shield / Desert Storm from the very early 1990s. After this and the end of the Cold War with military drawdowns, the USN slimmed it down considerably. F-14 still hung around until the 2000s. Fighter Attack F/A-18A - C models (VFA squadrons) made up the bulk until they themselves were supplanted by Super Hornets. Super Hornets and their multirole mission they inherited from their predecessors still are VFA squadrons.

Last pure fighter squadrons of the USN were Tomcats.

Also, I thought one of the Russian planes in the game was carrier capable. Su-33 is carrier capable but it's multi-role.

I'm trying to think of a modern, 2000s or later aircraft that was a dedicated ground pounding, carrier based plane. I'm drawing blanks because the world has pretty much gone with fighters with a bunch of multi-role aircraft for a while now.

Ngl they honestly missed out by not making an attacker version of the FA-36, would have been a nice addition i feel.

(Edit) I just remembered it's not even Carrier based lmao, i might be stupid.
France's Super Etendard is a candidate for naval attacker. It's a Cold War 1970s design and could even sling Exocet antiship missiles.

US A-7 is another candidate to add. 1960s design for carrier based ground pounding. Hell, the US Air Force even used this plane.

Britain's Buccaneer is another example. Same generation of aircraft as MiG-21, F-4, A-6.
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
Per page: 1530 50