ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

View Stats:
Address to the developers
If you're disappointed, take a look at *Project Wingman* (which was actually inspired by your game); it’s an older title, yet it supports joystick controls and free-look via OpenTrack and the like. But what do we have here? What year is it? And what exactly did we pay for? Aren't you ashamed?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
Considering this game sold a million units faster than any other title in the franchise... I don't think they're disappointed at all. Any gotcha one tries to make at their expense may very well be ignored by the publisher seeing the numbers go up, and perhaps less likely to reach the developers in turn.

And while I feel like this may be fruitless of me to say, I don't think this wording would help them pay attention to this criticism.

(I will admit I don't have a stake in the actual argument itself; I'm a controller player and don't plan on using a HOTAS anytime soon.)
Originally posted by Aurum Moon:
Considering this game sold a million units faster than any other title in the franchise... I don't think they're disappointed at all. Any gotcha one tries to make at their expense may very well be ignored by the publisher seeing the numbers go up, and perhaps less likely to reach the developers in turn.

And while I feel like this may be fruitless of me to say, I don't think this wording would help them pay attention to this criticism.

(I will admit I don't have a stake in the actual argument itself; I'm a controller player and don't plan on using a HOTAS anytime soon.)

This just shows how much they blew their shot at GOTY. Very little stood out this year, compared to last, and this one kinda stood out, but they've manage to piss off so many people.
So you complain that you cannot use a HOTAS in a ARCADE air combat game, a device made for flight SIMS ... ohboi
Originally posted by Axonteer:
So you complain that you cannot use a HOTAS in a ARCADE air combat game, a device made for flight SIMS ... ohboi
What a stupid comment, thats like saying games like Forza Horizon, The Crew, or Need for Speed shouldnt support racing wheels because its "Arcade" its a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ flying game, and its 2026, Even Starwars Squadrons supports joysticks.
Originally posted by Axonteer:
So you complain that you cannot use a HOTAS in a ARCADE air combat game, a device made for flight SIMS ... ohboi
Project Wingman showed how it’s done—and that it can be done even better. And there's also an eye-tracking system—that's a cool feature, too.
Originally posted by Axonteer:
So you complain that you cannot use a HOTAS in a ARCADE air combat game, a device made for flight SIMS ... ohboi

One thing Ace Combat should take note from Project Wingman is the far better and more granular controller config. I have to use an external program for AC8 to get the control scheme I could set up natively through game setting in Project Wingman.
Originally posted by Hank Da Silva:
Originally posted by Axonteer:
So you complain that you cannot use a HOTAS in a ARCADE air combat game, a device made for flight SIMS ... ohboi

One thing Ace Combat should take note from Project Wingman is the far better and more granular controller config. I have to use an external program for AC8 to get the control scheme I could natively through game setting in Project Wingman.
I agree—the Japanese side caved for the sake of profit, not the players. By the way, only two controllers can access the game.
Originally posted by Axonteer:
So you complain that you cannot use a HOTAS in a ARCADE air combat game, a device made for flight SIMS ... ohboi

What amazes me is that flying games from 90s came with configurable joystick, gamepad and keyboard, mouse support. Yet some how 30yrs later people think it is an impossible ask.
Originally posted by Godzilla Solos:
https://github.com/Alphonsvds/joystick-mapper

Use this and call it a day :) 1 click install
If only I could figure out how to connect OpenTrack.
Originally posted by Axonteer:
So you complain that you cannot use a HOTAS in a ARCADE air combat game, a device made for flight SIMS ... ohboi

I dunno man, I've been playing arcade flight sims (mostly space flight sims tbh) on joystick since I was a small child in the 90s.
Originally posted by jHawk:
What amazes me is that flying games from 90s came with configurable joystick, gamepad and keyboard, mouse support. Yet some how 30yrs later people think it is an impossible ask.
Tech was also simpler back then... So too was the programming, more than likely.

I would ask, do HOTAS sticks use a universal input method or not? Because if it comes to compatibility, that might be a key factor here... Either that, or some other sort of technical issue. I can't claim to know my way around Unreal Engine or BNACES' programming here.

The only other thing I could say is that they do have to make this game for multiple platforms. No idea how much this would actually factor into flight stick compatibility, you tell me...
Originally posted by Avetorian -The Witch King-:
Originally posted by Axonteer:
So you complain that you cannot use a HOTAS in a ARCADE air combat game, a device made for flight SIMS ... ohboi
What a stupid comment, thats like saying games like Forza Horizon, The Crew, or Need for Speed shouldnt support racing wheels because its "Arcade" its a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ flying game, and its 2026, Even Starwars Squadrons supports joysticks.

Those games have pretty good and detailed driving mechanics. Plane handling in AC is 100% arcadey.
Originally posted by Aurum Moon:
Originally posted by jHawk:
What amazes me is that flying games from 90s came with configurable joystick, gamepad and keyboard, mouse support. Yet some how 30yrs later people think it is an impossible ask.
Tech was also simpler back then... So too was the programming, more than likely.

I would ask, do HOTAS sticks use a universal input method or not? Because if it comes to compatibility, that might be a key factor here... Either that, or some other sort of technical issue. I can't claim to know my way around Unreal Engine or BNACES' programming here.

The only other thing I could say is that they do have to make this game for multiple platforms. No idea how much this would actually factor into flight stick compatibility, you tell me...

All it requires is rebindable controls and you can support any controller. They already support one hotas (the official one) and that one works on any other flight sim.
They added the ability to use whatever joystick you want to AC7, although you have to edit a config file instead of using in-game configuration
Originally posted by kohlrak:
Originally posted by Aurum Moon:
Considering this game sold a million units faster than any other title in the franchise... I don't think they're disappointed at all. Any gotcha one tries to make at their expense may very well be ignored by the publisher seeing the numbers go up, and perhaps less likely to reach the developers in turn.

And while I feel like this may be fruitless of me to say, I don't think this wording would help them pay attention to this criticism.

(I will admit I don't have a stake in the actual argument itself; I'm a controller player and don't plan on using a HOTAS anytime soon.)

This just shows how much they blew their shot at GOTY. Very little stood out this year, compared to last, and this one kinda stood out, but they've manage to piss off so many people.

This game has one of the highest user ratings this year. So much for "pissing so many people". Just like the whole kernel anti cheat and denuvo discourse. Most people, the average joe and jan, do not give a rats ass about what you complain about in your echo chamber.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
Per page: 1530 50