METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE

METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE

View Stats:
Monsoon softlock bug at 40% health
Hi all, playing through the game for the first time and really enjoying it. When fighting Monsoon, for some reason he bugs out and gets stuck in the air around the roof after completing his "Lorentz Force" attack at 40% health; he just kinda hangs in the air and doesn't do anything. I've tried knocking him down with missiles but they didn't have any effect, and for a bit I thought the problem was that he was getting stuck under the roof specifically and wasn't able to complete his jump before the attack cutscene played, so I tried kiting him away from the roof when he got close to 40% but that just resulted in him getting stuck in the air over the roof. This has happened every time I've gotten to 40% and I'm not sure what's causing it or how to fix/avoid it; my best guess is that the cutscene is interrupting his animations somehow? Playing on Linux Mint with the unofficial PC patch and Proton 10, though the bug reproduces itself on Proton 9 and Proton Experimental, and while I tried playing with the patch uninstalled to see if that was causing it, booting up the unpatched game sent me back to Abkhazia from my aborted attempt to play unpatched a while back. The game has been running really well up until this point, avoiding the collision bugs, freezes, and softlocks I saw in the unpatched version, and I've finally gotten the hang of parrying Monsoon's combos so I really hope there's a fix or workaround for this
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Cap the game at 60fps. Certain things in the game get janky with framerates higher than 60 and Monsoon's fight is one of them. I believe Armstrong is the same way.
Originally posted by Nussy Snake:
Cap the game at 60fps. Certain things in the game get janky with framerates higher than 60 and Monsoon's fight is one of them. I believe Armstrong is the same way.
The .ini file for the patch already has the game automatically capped at 60fps, and editing the file to have a custom framerate set at 60fps reproduced the bug. There doesn't seem to be an in-game FPS setting, so should I try setting a lower framerate?

EDIT: Tried setting the framerate to original settings. This did get him down from the roof, so it does seem to be a framerate problem, but now the game is so slow that half my parries don't even register anymore. Might tinker with the framerate some more or just try to work around the lag
Originally posted by AncehAtsiome:
Originally posted by Nussy Snake:
Cap the game at 60fps. Certain things in the game get janky with framerates higher than 60 and Monsoon's fight is one of them. I believe Armstrong is the same way.
The .ini file for the patch already has the game automatically capped at 60fps, and editing the file to have a custom framerate set at 60fps reproduced the bug. There doesn't seem to be an in-game FPS setting, so should I try setting a lower framerate?

EDIT: Tried setting the framerate to original settings. This did get him down from the roof, so it does seem to be a framerate problem, but now the game is so slow that half my parries don't even register anymore. Might tinker with the framerate some more or just try to work around the lag
Ok, I've manually set the custom framerate to 30, 40, and 50fps and the bug persists. I did find the DXVK patch that might help, but once again it's unable to load my save file with that patch installed, so if it does I'll have to play through the whole game again to find out. At this point I think my only good options are either just restarting the game entirely in the slim hope that the new patch will work, or attempting to do the fight with severe frame and input lag
Perhaps try to further downgrade Proton. I've had very few games that had instances of bad behavior on the newer Proton versions.

For example, using the latest version of Proton in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain made the mouse wheel scroll not work properly for me and on Yakuza 0 the latest versions of Proton made the save file corrupt quite often when attempting to save. Downgrading the Proton version to 7.0-6 for both games solved both issues for me.

I'd generally recommend downgrading the Proton version on old games as one of the first troubleshooting actions if the other general steps didn't work (such as veryfing game files/reinstalling game, bugs that are well known to the community, etc.).

Hope that helps. :steamthumbsup::VSnake:
Originally posted by Noobydoo:
Perhaps try to further downgrade Proton. I've had very few games that had instances of bad behavior on the newer Proton versions.

For example, using the latest version of Proton in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain made the mouse wheel scroll not work properly for me and on Yakuza 0 the latest versions of Proton made the save file corrupt quite often when attempting to save. Downgrading the Proton version to 7.0-6 for both games solved both issues for me.

I'd generally recommend downgrading the Proton version on old games as one of the first troubleshooting actions if the other general steps didn't work (such as veryfing game files/reinstalling game, bugs that are well known to the community, etc.).

Hope that helps. :steamthumbsup::VSnake:

Tried this out with all available Proton versions, though versions 4.x and below seem to be incompatible with the unofficial patch since the game launched unpatched when I used those. I saw the most success with Proton 6, since Monsoon actually got to do the rest of the attack on that version, but unfortunately he still froze in the air after finishing the attack. Thanks anyways for the suggestion!
Originally posted by AncehAtsiome:
Originally posted by Noobydoo:
Perhaps try to further downgrade Proton. I've had very few games that had instances of bad behavior on the newer Proton versions.

For example, using the latest version of Proton in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain made the mouse wheel scroll not work properly for me and on Yakuza 0 the latest versions of Proton made the save file corrupt quite often when attempting to save. Downgrading the Proton version to 7.0-6 for both games solved both issues for me.

I'd generally recommend downgrading the Proton version on old games as one of the first troubleshooting actions if the other general steps didn't work (such as veryfing game files/reinstalling game, bugs that are well known to the community, etc.).

Hope that helps. :steamthumbsup::VSnake:

Tried this out with all available Proton versions, though versions 4.x and below seem to be incompatible with the unofficial patch since the game launched unpatched when I used those. I saw the most success with Proton 6, since Monsoon actually got to do the rest of the attack on that version, but unfortunately he still froze in the air after finishing the attack. Thanks anyways for the suggestion!
That's unfortunate. Have you looked at the mod's distribution page to see if there's been similar issues?

Also I'm interested to see how Monsoon just asserts dominance by infinitely stalling lol. Do you perhaps have a video of that?
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Per page: 1530 50