TowerFall Ascension

TowerFall Ascension

View Stats:
October 30th. In memory of Alec Holowka
Today, on the 30th of October, 2019, Alec Holowka, the composer of “TowerFall Ascension,” could have turned 36. Rest in peace, dear Alec. You are mourned and remembered, and your creative genius is profoundly admired.

I’d like to share some links that concern Alec’s work. I’ve made similar posts in the community hubs of other games he either co-developed or contributed music to (“Aquaria,” “Night in the Woods,” “Offspring Fling,” and “Crayon Physics Deluxe”), in case anyone is interested (various interviews and articles are mainly linked in the respective posts about the first two games listed, which Alec co-designed).

1. A review of TA soundtrack: https://www.greatestgamemusic.com/soundtracks/towerfall-ascension-soundtrack/

2. Some history (an old article about the Indie House posted shortly before TA release): https://www.polygon.com/features/2014/7/2/5858032/towerfall-matt-thorson


3. On being an indie developer: http://weaskindies.beavl.com/2013/11/13/alec-holowka/

4. Alec plays piano, incl. music from TA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzN6KdQXvtM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zj6KM6Povk

5. Alec’s entire musical work: https://infiniteammo.bandcamp.com/

6. Alec’s YouTube channel. Contains a number of Unity Tutorial videos and a couple of short and funny videos about “TowerFall”: https://www.youtube.com/user/infiniteammoinc/videos

7. “Infinite Ammo” [Alec’s own company] podcast about game development. Sadly, it’s everything that is (still) available, all the older episodes got taken down for reasons unknown: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/infinite-ammo/id1466431810

8. Just an old and cute post I feel like sharing: https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ShaneNeville/20131007/201835/My_Invisible_Alec_Holowka.php
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
Alec would have turned 37 today. A short public birthday video [www.instagram.com] from the era when everything seemed to be fine.
Today it's been two years since Alec's death.
It's Alec's 39th birthday today.
RIP I did not know this. So sad. Excellent work.
This is very sad. Alec's hard work provided endless fun to myself and friends. What a talented individual and apparently surrounded by great people that still celebrate them
Today's Alec's 40th birthday.
It's Alec's 41st birthday today.
My girlfriend and I recently discovered this game, and we love the soundtrack. It saddens me to know that the composer has passed on. Toth_psyche you honor him by posting such a wonderful post. and by commenting each year. You are a kind soul. He was clearly a wonderful person.
Originally posted by Rick:
My girlfriend and I recently discovered this game, and we love the soundtrack. It saddens me to know that the composer has passed on. Toth_psyche you honor him by posting such a wonderful post. and by commenting each year. You are a kind soul. He was clearly a wonderful person.

Thank you for your kind words Rick. I feel he was.
It's a shame hardly anyone remembers the culprits - Zoe and his friends. :cleanseal:
Today is the 6th anniversary of Alec's death. I've tried to look whether there's something new worth posting on this day and discovered a podcast from 2013 I've never come across before, and an unrealeased NITW track . Maybe both could be of interest to someone.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
Per page: 1530 50