TowerFall Ascension

TowerFall Ascension

View Stats:
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Maddy  [developer]
1
Mar 9, 2014 @ 9:50pm
TowerFall Ascension Developer FAQ
Hey guys! Matt here, figured I'd try to preempt some questions I'm expecting to hear a lot with this FAQ. I'll probably be updating this periodically as more questions arise.

I can't get the game to start - help!?

Check out this handy dandy support page I made to help with this: http://www.towerfall-game.com/info/support.html

The game stutters or freezes on the title screen after loading!

TowerFall checks for new gamepads being connected on the title screen once every couple seconds. We've found that in some rare cases this can freeze the game for several seconds on certain PCs, perhaps related to some USB hubs.

To disable gamepad checking, go to Options -> Control Options menu, and disable Gamepad Discovery. You'll have to make sure all your gamepads are already connected when you start the game when this is disabled!

The title screen says "Press Start" but none of my connected gamepads are responding!

This problem requires a bit of explanation: Most games just use XInput for their gamepad controls, but that only supports XBox-style controllers. TowerFall uses DirectInput as well to support a wider range of devices, but sometimes other devices will report themselves as controllers and fill up your gamepad slots.

There is an option to disable DirectInput detection. You can find it in Options -> Control Options. Try disabling DirectInput, and then you should be able to play as normal with the keyboard and XInput-compatible controllers :)

Alternatively, you can try to find what device connected to your computer is filling up 4 gamepad slots! A common offender is the Windows driver for the Wii U Gamecube controller adapter.

Can you play with the keyboard?

Yes. You can play with one player on the keyboard in addition to players with controllers. Playing with the keyboard is not recommended, but it is possible to hold your own.

Can I rebind the keyboard keys, or play with multiple players on one keyboard?

Yes, go to the Options menu and then Control Options, and then Configure Keyboard!

What kind of controllers are supported?

XInput controllers are recommended (this just means XBox 360-compatible controllers). But DirectInput is also supported, which means most USB gamepads should work!

Can I use PS4 controllers?

The PS4's DualShock 4 should work with TowerFall Ascension out of the box. The lightbar, controllers speaker, and rumble will not work though. Rumble will only work with XInput-compatible gamepads.

What about PS3 controllers?

The DualShock 3 is a bit more complicated. There is a wrapper you can install for the DS3 that lets your PC recognize them as XInput devices so you can use them with TowerFall Ascension. Go here for more info on the XInput wrapper: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

Is there online or LAN play?

No. TowerFall is played alone or with friends on the same PC. There is a lot of content for single player or co-op 2-player sessions as well though.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 86 comments
That is all fine and dandy, but how about sharing the release date and price? Is it a Steam exclusive? Will it be on regional digital stores (muve.pl for example)? Will it be on the Humble Store?
I got to play a friend's PS4 review copy and absolutely loved it. The Dual Shock 4 felt perfect for this game and I loved the little touches like the speaker and lightbar. Don't have a PS4 of my own, but I did pick up some DS4's for my PC.

When you say Dual Shock 4 should work "out of the box" does that mean all buttons/sticks are working? Will the controller's speaker and the lightbar work like it does in the PS4 version?
Mar 10, 2014 @ 4:04pm 
I added more info about the dualshock 4 above :)
It's March 11 since a few minutes (Paris time), where's the game? :D

And same question than Rzep, I would like to be sure to get it on the Humble Store/widget rather than directly on Steam, I like the drm-free option :d
So Ascention for Ouya is still coming, right?
I love towerfall, but I also really want reasons to use the little console, and with Towerfall++ on PC, it feels like the original is no longer relevent.
does towerfall support 120hz?
What I could gather: It comes out today. According to Matt's twitter it will come out around 2 pm PST. Retail price is $15, but Playstation has is selling it for $12 when it comes out (not sure if Steam will match that price). Not sure about Humble, but we'll know in about 12 hours.
Originally posted by Arkham:
What I could gather: It comes out today. According to Matt's twitter it will come out around 2 pm PST. Retail price is $15, but Playstation has is selling it for $12 when it comes out (not sure if Steam will match that price). Not sure about Humble, but we'll know in about 12 hours.

Thank you. How come the dev could not have said this...
Today should be the release date, why can't i buy the game then?
Originally posted by Rzep:
Originally posted by Arkham:
What I could gather: It comes out today. According to Matt's twitter it will come out around 2 pm PST. Retail price is $15, but Playstation has is selling it for $12 when it comes out (not sure if Steam will match that price). Not sure about Humble, but we'll know in about 12 hours.

Thank you. How come the dev could not have said this...

More like: How come you couldn't have searched that for yourself?
Originally posted by Fée:
Originally posted by Rzep:

Thank you. How come the dev could not have said this...

More like: How come you couldn't have searched that for yourself?

Because I am not the one trying to sell a game.
What about DRM-free build? Any plans on releasing the game on GOG or Humble Store? It would make the game a lot more portable and tournament friendly. And you can buy Samurai Gunn DRM-free. :p
Originally posted by oselotti:
What about DRM-free build? Any plans on releasing the game on GOG or Humble Store? It would make the game a lot more portable and tournament friendly. And you can buy Samurai Gunn DRM-free. :p
About a drm-free build, Twitter said: possibly, but not at launch.
https://twitter.com/MattThorson/status/440591845416923136
Being patient so far about it not being up yet, but i just saw that this is co-op on pc...
does that mean I cant plug in 4 xbox controllers with my buddies and play the game or is it only two player for pc???
Because seriously this game is best with 4 people
Co-op is up to 4 players on PC.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 86 comments
Per page: 1530 50