MYTH
Has anyone understood anything about the story?
Hi, I've completed the game just a few moments ago, but like the Kingdom Hearts meme says:

Originally posted by Ansem:
"So, you have come this far and still you understand nothing."

That could be applied to this game as well.
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
There is no life without shadows...

The game has well crafted story difficult because author is using mythology and many paraller worlds to show general meaning. But I liked it mostly because of unexpected trauma which certainly must've been visible. Sorrow and sadness is no easy thing to understand.

But generally speaking what I brought out of this game is that understanding your history, your past is a core of our personalities. Without memories of sorrow sadnes joy and fun we cannot have shadows. And live with head on thats what Meito the main character was to me. It was journey about reclaiming memories.

There is much more to it connecting all characters together would be a real challenge though maybe even impossible to understand just by design. Thats what author of a story wanted, creating insanity. They mostly wanted to convey their feels not to simply understand them.

Not everything from MYTH is meant to be understood.
Nice philosophical reflection, but I personally don't think the author designed it that way. IMHO I think that it's most likely a combination of budget limitations and script filler to justify the game's full price (which is still not worth it despite that IMO). I think this had a potential to be a much better story. What I caught about the story is the world is destroyed and the remmants of the humanity live in computer generated worlds. Looped worlds that the people are forced to live in for eternity... Very Black Mirror
You perceive the work as a literal science fiction, and that's your choice, Lord. But I have to side with SaoSin on the matter. MYTH does not pursue mainstream values. While other stories strive to show a sequence of events and logic behind them, this novel is more about themes and emotions as abstracts. As I see it, MYTH's author's tried to push the limits of what a story can signify. He tries to tell us that it's not important if it's real or not, if the emotions experienced during the journey are real and meaningful. And that's true for both reader's and Meito's cases, because many of the scenes got retconned in the true ending. The game even finishes with Valkyrie sincerely wondering, if Meito thinks it's a happy or sad ending after all. Perhaps you shouldn't dig into too far into the story for your own good, because it's not designed for this kind of insight, and I doubt you're going to be happy with explanations anyone provides.
Originally posted by Unravel:
While other stories strive to show a sequence of events and logic behind them, this novel is more about themes and emotions as abstracts.

If you are happy with that, I'm really glad for you. But, honestly I prefer stories with a meaning and logic. That's why I feel really disappointed with this one. This story was not made for me. Bad luck strikes again...
I think it's both? Like it's both a story of abstracts WHILE ALSO being a scifi story? Basically a story of a computer gaining free will and deciding, hey, maybe humanity should just chill for a bit. Let's all take five and wait to see what happens.
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Per page: 1530 50