MYTH
Story Explanation HELP
I finished the story but I didn't understand much of it. Can someone explain it to me? Thanks
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
Hey. I wrote a few analytical articles about MYTH back in a day, so I have a good grasp on the story bits, but I can't promise you it's 100% correct or coherent since I'm only basing it on my own experience.

HEAVY SPOILERS AHEAD

The theme of the game is light and dark, consciousness and subconsciousness. It's heavily inspired by philosophies of Freud and Gustav Jung who believed in the concepts like Shadow, Anima, Ego etc that exist simultaneously inside every person's mind.

For example, Meito's second personality in the game is actually the guy called Berserker, who represents Meito's trauma and fears. I'm not too familiar with Jung, but Berserker is basically Meito's personality stripped to very basic human instincts that, in a twisted way, shows his toxic relationship with his mother. The main Meito that we follow for the majority of the game is either the part of the personality called Ego or Superego in Freud. This part of Meito has lived in the reality governed by superrationalism where people abandoned feelings completely and lived only based on rationale.

This is why Meito at the beginning of the game doesn't understand the concept of "doing something for someone else's sake, even if it doesn't benefit you". Because it's not rational thing to do, it's something above that.

If Meito is "light" in a sense, and Berserker is "darkness"... Gustav Jung said that only by combining light and dark can you achieve the full picture, the full person, so that's something to think about.

At the final hours of the game we find out that the story is happening inside a machine that holds memories of select few people, main character and his friends included. Like human mind, this machine perceives multiple levels of human psyche, thus creating different worlds for different parts of character personality. In this game we see several versions of each characters, it's their different personality archetypes perceived by MYTH. It's similar to Matrix I guess, except characters exist in several worlds at the same time.

Back in real world, Meito's parents seemingly were from a doomsday cult and they developed this machine in preparation for it. And at the end of the game it turns out they were unfortunately right, the end days did happen and made Earth uninhabitable, making MYTH the only remnant of human existence.

We know from one of the storylines that "real" Meito tried to fight or expose that cult, and it looks like that at the very least Meito's parents didn't become all-powerful gods of this realm.

When Meito was younger in real world he fell in love with one of the scientists working with his parents, who probably had a hand in developing that machine. She became pregnant with a daughter who turns out to be Juni, although it's not certain if Meito stayed to parent her or they were separated, giving birth to Juni's longing for her father.

From the way Juni behaves towards Meito inside MYTH, it looks like she hates him for leaving them. Or perhaps she hates him because she knows it's not her real father, but only a projection of him, created by MYTH from her memories or by her. Juni seemingly dies at the end of the game when she goes out into the real world, or perhaps it's just another illusion created by MYTH to give her some closure, since we don't know for certain if characters even have mortal bodies.

In the end it Meito most likely died in the real world with the rest of humanity without transferring his consciousness into MYTH, but Juni and/or her mother were transferred to MYTH and created a fictional version of Meito so Juni can have a father and become a god of sorts, although it's implied that any character in MYTH can become a god of their own, even if they are a fictional character. Similar to Umineko, this game is about the power of mind and power of a character where you take destiny in your own hands, no matter WHAT you are. Real or not real, it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is your resolve to change your destiny.

It's also heavily implied that Riri, the green haired girl, is Juni's mother and Meito's lover, although I'm not entirely certain about that. I also don't know what exactly Kiki is. But if you read Aguni chapter you know their backstory in the world of MYTH.

My favorite character is Yuri, who's a childhood friend and first girlfriend of Meito. Back in real world when Meito and Yuri still went to school, Meito at some point suddenly disappeared from her life, and it gave Yuri severe depression years down the line. She searched for Meito for a long time and even became a private detective for that reason. In her "future Tokyo" storyline she follows strange murders that lead to her reconciliation with older-looking Meito who's still fighting or running away from the cult.

I'm not 100% certain if Yuri is somewhat real or entirely created by MYTH from Meito's memories, but it looks like she had a husband for a while in the real world before it ended.

Ah yes, Shimon (Valkyrie) is probably the will of MYTH. She is a part of MYTH's program, this is why she treats Meito with scorn when he refuses to follow the script, and does complete 180 on her personality compared to the beginning of the game where she was cute and clumsy.
The game is about Meito's journey towards reconciling with his past self and his other self, the Berserker. Finding out he is not a real person anymore, finding out what he once was in the "real" world, and finding out what led him here. It's literary a myth, a tale of a hero who went on a long journey to defy the gods, to defy his destiny of being a mere puppet to MYTH's theater.

The game ends when Meito and his companions realize the nature of this world and each of them seemingly goes back to their own layer of MYTH, to live out the rest of their lives.

That's the gist of it. If you have any questions about certain characters and story lines I can at least share my own experience with them. Last time I've read this game 5 years ago or so, so details are hazy somewhat.
Originally posted by Ravs:
The game is about Meito's journey towards reconciling with his past self and his other self, the Berserker. Finding out he is not a real person anymore, finding out what he once was in the "real" world, and finding out what led him here. It's literary a myth, a tale of a hero who went on a long journey to defy the gods, to defy his destiny of being a mere puppet to MYTH's theater.

The game ends when Meito and his companions realize the nature of this world and each of them seemingly goes back to their own layer of MYTH, to live out the rest of their lives.

That's the gist of it. If you have any questions about certain characters and story lines I can at least share my own experience with them. Last time I've read this game 5 years ago or so, so details are hazy somewhat.

I have a question myself, I found myself pretty underwhelmed by Shinzou's importance in the story? What do you make of him? Do you think he might be another version of Edogawa/Loki?
Originally posted by The Don Juan of Acapulco:
Originally posted by Ravs:
The game is about Meito's journey towards reconciling with his past self and his other self, the Berserker. Finding out he is not a real person anymore, finding out what he once was in the "real" world, and finding out what led him here. It's literary a myth, a tale of a hero who went on a long journey to defy the gods, to defy his destiny of being a mere puppet to MYTH's theater.

The game ends when Meito and his companions realize the nature of this world and each of them seemingly goes back to their own layer of MYTH, to live out the rest of their lives.

That's the gist of it. If you have any questions about certain characters and story lines I can at least share my own experience with them. Last time I've read this game 5 years ago or so, so details are hazy somewhat.

I have a question myself, I found myself pretty underwhelmed by Shinzou's importance in the story? What do you make of him? Do you think he might be another version of Edogawa/Loki?

Edogawa is a detective from Neo Tokyo chapter? I don't quite remember.
Originally posted by Ravs:
Originally posted by The Don Juan of Acapulco:

I have a question myself, I found myself pretty underwhelmed by Shinzou's importance in the story? What do you make of him? Do you think he might be another version of Edogawa/Loki?

Edogawa is a detective from Neo Tokyo chapter? I don't quite remember.
VNDB lists him as the same character as Loki which I don't quite understand myself. Regardless do you have any takeaways from the character Shinzou that I'm missing?
Originally posted by The Don Juan of Acapulco:
Originally posted by Ravs:

Edogawa is a detective from Neo Tokyo chapter? I don't quite remember.
VNDB lists him as the same character as Loki which I don't quite understand myself. Regardless do you have any takeaways from the character Shinzou that I'm missing?

Not really. Sorry. I never really cared for his character enough to figure it out.

But I think Edogawa and Yuri were husband and wife in real world, after she met up with grown up Meito in the Neo Tokyo chapter?

The choice of alter ego for Edogawa is weird too. Loki is a son of Odin, isn't he? But Odin in MYTH is actually Juni, which alludes to the fact that Juni has pretty high access to MYTH's systems... I guess him being Loki implies that he betrayed/lied to someone. Maybe he was a double agent of sorts back in real life.

I think shadow people back from the village were all brought to MYTH from some kind of police database. This is the reason why we're shown a dark flashback of Hibiki's mother where she murders her husband out of jealousy (if I remember the scene correctly).

Could it be that Edogawa is connected to that? Maybe Juni/her mother wanted a paradise only for Juni and other trusted people, but let's say Edogawa brought these people over to MYTH? (Including Yuri which wasn't supposed to be there?..)
Originally posted by The Don Juan of Acapulco:
Originally posted by Ravs:

Edogawa is a detective from Neo Tokyo chapter? I don't quite remember.
VNDB lists him as the same character as Loki which I don't quite understand myself. Regardless do you have any takeaways from the character Shinzou that I'm missing?

Just to clarify, who exactly do you mean by the name of Shinzou? Can you mention any of the scenes where that name can be encountered? I only remember Shindou Hibiki and Shindou Kotomi. It's interesting, because "shinzou" can be translated as "heart".
Originally posted by Ravs:
Originally posted by The Don Juan of Acapulco:
VNDB lists him as the same character as Loki which I don't quite understand myself. Regardless do you have any takeaways from the character Shinzou that I'm missing?

Just to clarify, who exactly do you mean by the name of Shinzou? Can you mention any of the scenes where that name can be encountered? I only remember Shindou Hibiki and Shindou Kotomi. It's interesting, because "shinzou" can be translated as "heart".

Shinzou is an adult man in the shadow village, he's the first shadow Meito speaks with in 2a. The chara chart calls him "Just your average guy."

However upon further notice I think I might've gotten my answer partially. Shinzou is said to be age 32, the same as Edogawa/Loki. Real shame we never got the full design for such an important character.

Edit: Actually nevermind, Yuri's friend Ness not only is the same age as Shinzou but has the same blood type, B. While Edogawas is O.
Originally posted by The Don Juan of Acapulco:
Originally posted by Ravs:

Just to clarify, who exactly do you mean by the name of Shinzou? Can you mention any of the scenes where that name can be encountered? I only remember Shindou Hibiki and Shindou Kotomi. It's interesting, because "shinzou" can be translated as "heart".

Shinzou is an adult man in the shadow village, he's the first shadow Meito speaks with in 2a. The chara chart calls him "Just your average guy."

However upon further notice I think I might've gotten my answer partially. Shinzou is said to be age 32, the same as Edogawa/Loki. Real shame we never got the full design for such an important character.

Edit: Actually nevermind, Yuri's friend Ness not only is the same age as Shinzou but has the same blood type, B. While Edogawas is O.

So in your opinion Shinzou is an alternative version of the hacker who helped Yuri?
Edogawa is definitely connected to the cult now that I think about it. After all it is said he's an uncle to Yuni in Neo Tokyo chapter. So probably he's taking care of her, after both Meito and her mother (aka the creator of MYTH) disappeared. Unless that's Yuni just working her way into the story of Yuri, because Neo Tokyo is just a fictional retelling of certain events that happened in the real world, outside of MYTH's storyline.

EDIT: I downloaded MYTH and it actually says in the character chart that Yuni Ichii (the real world original Yuni?) lives with her mother and uncle, after her father (Meito most likely) disappeared.
Originally posted by Ravs:
Originally posted by The Don Juan of Acapulco:

Shinzou is an adult man in the shadow village, he's the first shadow Meito speaks with in 2a. The chara chart calls him "Just your average guy."

However upon further notice I think I might've gotten my answer partially. Shinzou is said to be age 32, the same as Edogawa/Loki. Real shame we never got the full design for such an important character.

Edit: Actually nevermind, Yuri's friend Ness not only is the same age as Shinzou but has the same blood type, B. While Edogawas is O.

So in your opinion Shinzou is an alternative version of the hacker who helped Yuri?

I think it's very likely, it's too specific for him to share the same age and blood type as Ness. I still don't really get the significance of it because it's been a while since I played. But I feel like Shinzou was teased as being more important than he really was.
Originally posted by The Don Juan of Acapulco:
Originally posted by Ravs:

So in your opinion Shinzou is an alternative version of the hacker who helped Yuri?

I think it's very likely, it's too specific for him to share the same age and blood type as Ness. I still don't really get the significance of it because it's been a while since I played. But I feel like Shinzou was teased as being more important than he really was.

The scenario plans have changed over the years of the game's development. It's possible that some character roles were switched or reduced. At least that's what I found out when I researched stuff for my article back in a day.

Not many people know it, but originally the game came out as a trial version of sorts, it had slightly different art style and the story ended around the notorious ~The Loss of Identity~ chapter (slightly before that, I think). That version of the game is even omitted on VNDB's releases timeline (2006 demo/trial/early draft release).
Originally posted by Ravs:
Originally posted by The Don Juan of Acapulco:

I think it's very likely, it's too specific for him to share the same age and blood type as Ness. I still don't really get the significance of it because it's been a while since I played. But I feel like Shinzou was teased as being more important than he really was.

The scenario plans have changed over the years of the game's development. It's possible that some character roles were switched or reduced. At least that's what I found out when I researched stuff for my article back in a day.

Not many people know it, but originally the game came out as a trial version of sorts, it had slightly different art style and the story ended around the notorious ~The Loss of Identity~ chapter (slightly before that, I think). That version of the game is even omitted on VNDB's releases timeline (2006 demo/trial/early draft release).

I didn't know that but I get it. It's extremely rare to find someone willing to talk about this game so I appreciate it. Hopefully we get Myth After the stories translated some day. It's very short and I have no idea what an epilogue would be
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
Per page: 1530 50