Journeybound Idle

Journeybound Idle

View Stats:
Chickens / Eggs?
Hi Journey Bound Idle developers,

I initially found the game quite frustrating and my original review probably reflected that, but after spending more time with it, things are starting to click and I’m really enjoying progressing through it.

I’ve now got all of my skills up to level 19, including combat, gathering, processing, etc., and I’m at the point where I’d like to finish the remaining Soul Script missions before attempting the F-Rank Final Exam, whilst trying to gain food, potion's and equipment.

However, I may have run into a potential issue with farming and animal pens.

I’ve seen several recommendations for using Farmer’s Omelette as a useful meal, which requires eggs and potatoes. Potatoes aren’t a problem as I can produce those through the shop, but unfortunately I no longer have any chickens. Earlier in the game, I butchered all of mine to complete a quest that required five.

From what I can find online, it seems that additional animals/eggs may only become available after completing the F-Rank Final Exam, but I haven’t been able to confirm whether that’s actually the case.

So my questions are:

* Is there currently any way to obtain more chickens (or eggs) before completing the F-Rank Final Exam?

* If not, does this mean I’ve temporarily locked myself out of Farmer’s Omelettes, or is there another way around it?

* Have I made a permanent mistake with my save, or will I be able to recover the chickens later?



If I have genuinely soft-locked myself, is there a way to reset or restart the relevant part of the game?

Hopefully I haven’t broken my playthrough. I’d rather not restart if there’s another solution!

Thanks in advance for any advice.
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Hello Olgit,

I'm Nick, the solo developer of the game. There is no one else but me, so apologies for the delay on the response! :)

1. Yes! You likely have discovered the 'Hidden Grove' as a Wyldcraft zone by now through 'The Faded Wyldcraft Map'. Baby Chickens are a drop from that zone as a rare drop. If you've gotten them before, it is from here. You should be able to see them in your Wyldcraft log.

2/3. Definitely not locked out. At no point in the game should anything be soft-lockable. If there is, I would do my best to fix it promptly.


More importantly, I wouldn't particularly recommend Farmer's Omelettes as a food to stockpile for the F-Rank Exam. If you've seen recommendations by me to have a 'flat heaing food', I simply mean any fish that heals all-at-once, rather than a food that heals over time.

An example of a flat-healing food for the F-Rank exam would be Cooked Brookwhistlers. Flat-healing foods are not limited to the healing-over-time of something like Cooked Wolf meat. Farmer's Omelettes are a rather time-costly food to stockpile. They're a percentage healing food, rather than a flat number. Percentage heals are more valuable later in the game, when you have a higher health pool.

I'd recommend you have a couple hundred Cooked Brookwhistlers slotted into a food slot with auto-eat on. It will eat as many as it takes to bring you back up to your current health threshold setting after taking a big hit. Healing-over-time foods (typically meats) are more of a constantly ticking passive regeneration, and can't typically keep you alive on their own. I usually use fish in slot 1, and meat in slot 2 when I play.

Hopefully this makes a bit more sense!
-Nick from Journeybound
Originally posted by Journeybound Idle:
Hello Olgit,

I'm Nick, the solo developer of the game. There is no one else but me, so apologies for the delay on the response! :)

1. Yes! You likely have discovered the 'Hidden Grove' as a Wyldcraft zone by now through 'The Faded Wyldcraft Map'. Baby Chickens are a drop from that zone as a rare drop. If you've gotten them before, it is from here. You should be able to see them in your Wyldcraft log.

2/3. Definitely not locked out. At no point in the game should anything be soft-lockable. If there is, I would do my best to fix it promptly.


More importantly, I wouldn't particularly recommend Farmer's Omelettes as a food to stockpile for the F-Rank Exam. If you've seen recommendations by me to have a 'flat heaing food', I simply mean any fish that heals all-at-once, rather than a food that heals over time.

An example of a flat-healing food for the F-Rank exam would be Cooked Brookwhistlers. Flat-healing foods are not limited to the healing-over-time of something like Cooked Wolf meat. Farmer's Omelettes are a rather time-costly food to stockpile. They're a percentage healing food, rather than a flat number. Percentage heals are more valuable later in the game, when you have a higher health pool.

I'd recommend you have a couple hundred Cooked Brookwhistlers slotted into a food slot with auto-eat on. It will eat as many as it takes to bring you back up to your current health threshold setting after taking a big hit. Healing-over-time foods (typically meats) are more of a constantly ticking passive regeneration, and can't typically keep you alive on their own. I usually use fish in slot 1, and meat in slot 2 when I play.

Hopefully this makes a bit more sense!
-Nick from Journeybound
There are way too many animals in Hidden Grove! I'm Rank C and it's the only way to get chickens and eggs that I've found so far, I can leave it running for hours and end up with tons of sheep and pigs but no chicken. This is so frustrating. I need 30 eggs for a quest. Is there another type of chicken in the other ranks like there are with the pigs and sheep?
WIth basic level 5 tools, you'll be getting Chickens approximately every 10 minutes on average. With the tools available at C-Rank, that number will be significantly shortened.

One Chicken can be collected from 10 times before depleting, meaning you only need 3 Chickens. I think 20-30 minutes is a pretty reasonable timeframe.

The odds of going two hours without a single chicken is 1-in-67,000. The odds of going three hours without a single chicken is 1-in-17 million.

Chickens are a rare drop table item, so if you have a companion doing the work, they won't be found. Considering you've said you're getting sheep and pigs, that would mean your character must be doing the work, so this can't be the issue either.

Apologies if you're having some terribly unlucky rng, but that is the nature of any rng-based game. Getting 1-in-a million bad luck is truly bad luck though. I hope you get them soon!
I've already changed my negative review into a positive one, all thanks to the advice given here.

I've still not pushed into the dungeon, as I am trying to get the three quests of fifty items each from Hexlord, which is taking time. Tomorrow is my dungeon day I think.

Thanks again Nick.
Originally posted by Olgit:
I've already changed my negative review into a positive one, all thanks to the advice given here.

I've still not pushed into the dungeon, as I am trying to get the three quests of fifty items each from Hexlord, which is taking time. Tomorrow is my dungeon day I think.

Thanks again Nick.

My pleasure, and thank you for the positive review! It means a lot :)

If you ever need anything else, I check the boards almost every day. If you're a Discord user, there are lots of very helpful community members on the official one, and my Discord DMs are always open. I'm glad you're having fun!
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Per page: 1530 50