Monster Hunter: World

Monster Hunter: World

View Stats:
I owe the World community an apology.
Was a Wilds shill full time for over a year and a half. Deluded myself thinking Wilds was better than Iceborne on almost every front. I would criticize and even block people with opposite opinions, calling them World babies being biased by nostalgia.

I refused to aknowledge Wilds obvious flaws. I guess I needed to believe that monster hunter couldn't fail. That monster hunter HAD to be good. And in a way, Wilds does have things going for it, like its gameplay, and its pretty strong roaster for a base game.

I kept doing this for a long time until, at lats, I played through World again, from the very beginning, with a brand new character,

Then the truth hit me. It was a gradual process, but I increasingly started seeing the obvious flaws Mh Wilds has. I don't know if I feel like listing them in here that's not really the point I'm trying to make. All I'm saying is, I know, after beating fatalis, and grinding to MR500 with my new character, I know HAVE to be honest with myself and admit the truth. Iceborne was made with much greater love and care than Wilds and it shows. Wilds was rushed and released in a pitiful state and even after all the patches Capcom could not fix all of its glaring problems.

Iceborne rules. They once called me a Wilds shill, and for good reasons. You may now call me an Iceborne shill if you so wish. I'd wear that title proudly.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 31 comments
You're just a dude that likes Monhun. Keep it simple.
Put 1000 hours into Sunbreak. Then put another 1000 hours in MHGU.
Originally posted by ominumi:
Put 1000 hours into Sunbreak. Then put another 1000 hours in MHGU.

Reached MR999 in sunbreak. It's a good monster hunter with a bad endgame for me. It's a mixed bag for me. It did things right and others wrong. I think my biggest issue is the gameplay which I find too fast paced for my liking.

Didn't play GU cause franckly the new games spoiled me too much and I just can't go back to a monster hunter with loading screens and stationary healing / sharpening, 25 fps and gamecube graphics. I know they are praised and loved, but personally I just can't.

I did play 3U, 4U and generations through.
Humility to admit you were wrong is a rare thing these days, so you have my respect. I know how you feel, I too love MH, but sadly I couldn't turn an blind eye to Wilds many flaws.
Originally posted by Power:
Humility to admit you were wrong is a rare thing these days, so you have my respect. I know how you feel, I too love MH, but sadly I couldn't turn an blind eye to Wilds many flaws.
I know how you feel.
Well I'll be damned, good for you. Hopefully you take this lesson forward in life.
Hiroshi Yamauchi said, that it's not about a game using the newest hardware, but how to use all the resources available for the best gameplay. World & Iceborne still belong to a time when developers cared more about refined and polished gameplay. Times have changed. We will see where it's going, but I'm not optimistic in a world where basically everything is turning into garbage.
How very mature of OP, comparing two different products - one of them still unfinished - in a franchise where the biggest changes seems to backloaded into the DLC / Master Rank.

PS: i neither don't own MH:WIlds, nor won't care about it until it will get promoted to 5€ "just take it" package.
Originally posted by Kalameet:
How very mature of OP, comparing two different products - one of them still unfinished - in a franchise where the biggest changes seems to backloaded into the DLC / Master Rank.

PS: i neither don't own MH:WIlds, nor won't care about it until it will get promoted to 5€ "just take it" package.
At least I own and played both games.

If you had played Wilds you might rethink what you said, because it's got some real problems even for a base game. Base World did not feel rushed like this. I'm sure Ascendance will make it better, but it can't and won't be able to fix its own crumbling foundations, such as the total lack of immerstion, the extremely boring and forgettable story and characters, and the total lack of any type of difficulty until you reach endgame. And let's not even begin to talk about the optimisation.
Originally posted by Deffy:
Originally posted by Kalameet:
How very mature of OP, comparing two different products - one of them still unfinished - in a franchise where the biggest changes seems to backloaded into the DLC / Master Rank.

PS: i neither don't own MH:WIlds, nor won't care about it until it will get promoted to 5€ "just take it" package.
At least I own and played both games.

If you had played Wilds you might rethink what you said, because it's got some real problems even for a base game. Base World did not feel rushed like this. I'm sure Ascendance will make it better, but it can't and won't be able to fix its own crumbling foundations, such as the total lack of immerstion, the extremely boring and forgettable story and characters, and the total lack of any type of difficulty until you reach endgame. And let's not even begin to talk about the optimisation.
I am pretty much sure all the issues you describe stem from a weird mix of:
  • negativity bias and/or survivorship bias
  • the literal impossibility to make a game experience pleasant to everyone
  • the community (or the loud minority) being NEVER happy about a single thing
  • the general consensus the average Gamer skips everything and would love to spawn in front of the monster ready to bonk
  • the general consensus the idolized average player prototype chews through the game and /or optimized the fun out of the game.
  • each game is a whole different product, not just a cold refinement of previous iterations (what would the baseline be, then?)
  • there were probably LOTS of bad MH iterations in the past, full of jank and other crap
Hmm, so use to seeing on the Wilds forums instantly disregarding people saying World was better. Impressive.
We can enjoy both and both for what they are.
Originally posted by FireOfSinai:
Hmm, so use to seeing on the Wilds forums instantly disregarding people saying World was better. Impressive.
We can enjoy both and both for what they are.
Nah man we're only allowed to enjoy one game obv so pick one and discriminate the others ! :MHRISE_Felyne::MHRISE_OK:
Wilds is gr8 for newcomers to learn to ropes. But World is the better game, by far.
Being honest with yourself is no small feat. I think every MonHun has plenty of its ups and downs, but from this - also a reason to play that game in particular even if you've played later installments. Wilds is the only exception where the only reason to play it is to see just how terrible it truly is.

Originally posted by Deffy:
Didn't play GU cause franckly the new games spoiled me too much and I just can't go back to a monster hunter with loading screens and stationary healing / sharpening, 25 fps and gamecube graphics. I know they are praised and loved, but personally I just can't.
You can emulate GU at 60+FPS and a human resolution, the (in my opinion) only bad thing about the graphics are the weapon/armour textures that were unchanged from 3DS for some reason. Sunbreak borrows a great deal from GU, but doesn't do it as well as GU in most cases. Stuff like Aerial GS and Aerial or Valor CB are incredibly fun and don't compare to anything else in the franchise.
Originally posted by Deffy:
Originally posted by ominumi:
Put 1000 hours into Sunbreak. Then put another 1000 hours in MHGU.

Reached MR999 in sunbreak. It's a good monster hunter with a bad endgame for me. It's a mixed bag for me. It did things right and others wrong. I think my biggest issue is the gameplay which I find too fast paced for my liking.

Didn't play GU cause franckly the new games spoiled me too much and I just can't go back to a monster hunter with loading screens and stationary healing / sharpening, 25 fps and gamecube graphics. I know they are praised and loved, but personally I just can't.

I did play 3U, 4U and generations through.
My thing that makes me a bit hesitant on Rise is the visuals.
I've played some ugly ass games, but idk. I love Wilds and World's visuals and style, but Rise looks a bit rough.
I'll pick it up on sale though I reckon. I'm sad I missed out on the sale that happened a bit back.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 31 comments
Per page: 1530 50