STAR WARS™ Episode I Racer

STAR WARS™ Episode I Racer

Boost doesn't work
I had this game many years ago when it first came out and I played it with a joystick. Now i have it on my new #2 machine that is just for racing sims and oddly enough, it works with my Moza R3/KS Pro DD racing wheel and pedals. Kind of... the throttle and steering and brakes work, as does the camera swap and taunting. But I cannot get the boost to work no matter which button I assign it to. It's been a very long time since I played this. Am I missing something? Do I have to do something special to make the boost work? This would also be even more fun if the FFB worked. Cuz driving this thing with a wheel is like, lights out. It's like driving a futuristic jet powered F1 car. I just need the boost to work.
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
You could try using JoyToKey to trick the game into thinking the input is coming from a compatible controller or mouse and keyboard.
Originally posted by Wommy:
You could try using JoyToKey to trick the game into thinking the input is coming from a compatible controller or mouse and keyboard.

Well, thing is, the controller works. I have buttons set for camera change, look back, gesture, repair, and for boost. It's not like I can't even assign a button. And they all work. Even if I set the boost function to a button that works for one of those other functions, it still doesn't work in the game. It has been a while since I played this game but I don't remember having to do anything special for it to work, other than you had to make sure the little energy/speed indicator thing was all the way up and the little green light was on. I do that, and I push and hold whatever button I have assigned to boost... and nothing happens.
Are you charging the boost with nose down before trying to boost? On n64, it was joystick being pushed up. It indicates as orange instead of green for the light. On PC keyboard controls, it is "i" or up arrow for default controls
First off, boost isn't like in most racing games. You have to be racing at top speed when green light goes on, then hold pitch down (nose down), wait for boost meter to charge, then press boost

Setting up controls, including pitch, is tricky because game tries to assign them to axes and can get confused. Open controls config with text editor and check what's going on there. For example i had same half-axis bound to same action after trying to reassign stuff in-game. It's easier done manually with text file

Finally, try Xidi (dinput wrapper dll) or other similar libraries to remap modern devices to whatever game is expecting. I only have regular gamepads so can't help with that. But if you have dual throttles or two flight sticks you can set it up to control throttle and steering as if engines were separate
Had the same issue until I realised that you have to push up first until your boost charges and then press the boost button. I think I forget this everytime I play it.
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Per page: 1530 50