ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

View Stats:
The reason why a GTX 1080 Ti won't handle this game.
With my GTX 1080 Ti the game won't start (UE5 ERROR 01).

After some digging, I figured out the reason behind this is a driver issue.
Nvidia GTX 10xx-Series newest driver is 582.78
The game requires at least 596.36 or newer.

The first GPU after the GTX 1080 Ti to use this driver is the GTX 1630, what a joke!
This video here proves that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYmOJ3T69p8

My test:

I modified the driver, added my GTX 1080 Ti manually, signed the modified driver myself, and got Windows to install it.

Unfortunately, the GPU still refused to start. I discovered that I could make Windows accept a driver, but I can't magically add the hardware support that NVIDIA removed from the actual driver.

Result:

My GTX 1080 Ti is still more powerful than some newer GPUs that are officially supported. (RTX 2060, RTX 3060, RTX 4060).
However, because NVIDIA has stopped supporting my card and Project Aces requires a newer driver for Ace Combat 8, I am essentially being forced to buy a new GPU, not because my card is slow, but because it is no longer supported.

NVIDIA and Project Aces should be ashamed of this. Being forced to replace a powerful GPU with a newer but weaker one just to satisfy a software requirement is ridiculous!

At least I can say I tried everything I could before giving up.
Refunding now for sure since no update is coming and probably never will...
Any GPU under 600€ won't run this game at constant 60+FPS. For that price, you could really just buy a Playstation 5 and play the game.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 73 comments
This is because the new shaders require special features found only in newer graphics cards to run.

If AI-based shading like DLSS 5 becomes the mainstream standard, then graphics cards below the RTX 5000 series will be rendered completely obsolete.
The 1080ti is no longer supported by nivida so why would anyone of sense think game devs need to?
The game is poorly optimized. Sure I can run it on max settings on 9070XT but it hogs a lot of resources like 30GB RAM. Play it on consoles if you have one.
You could potentially disable hardware RT via engine.ini, dump the shaders, and recompile them using only features supported by your GPU. AC8 chose not to do this because shipping a softRT+old shader build would make the game even bigger and only really allow 1080ti owners to play. While the 1080ti was a great card for its longevity, it was still a flagship card which only a small fraction of players ever purchased.
Originally posted by Skuggamul:
The 1080ti is no longer supported by nivida so why would anyone of sense think game devs need to?
I can choose whether to play the game with a Nvidia Geforce 210 512MB and 2 FPS.
Devs should have warned me before buying with a "DON'T BUY THIS GAME IF YOU HAVE A GPU LOWER THAN RTX 2060".
Originally posted by Lionel Lossi:
The game is poorly optimized. Sure I can run it on max settings on 9070XT but it hogs a lot of resources like 30GB RAM. Play it on consoles if you have one.
PlayStation 5 has 16 GB RAM.
So why PC players need 30+GB?
Originally posted by Strap me to a Missile:
You could potentially disable hardware RT via engine.ini, dump the shaders, and recompile them using only features supported by your GPU. AC8 chose not to do this because shipping a softRT+old shader build would make the game even bigger and only really allow 1080ti owners to play. While the 1080ti was a great card for its longevity, it was still a flagship card which only a small fraction of players ever purchased.
Not even an idea on how to begin... I am a player, not a developer, sadly.
The 1080ti is a cult classic and will likely be worth serious money one day as a collector's item. Better to buy a new GPU and put that one in a safe somewhere.
Originally posted by zakoforever:
This is because the new shaders require special features found only in newer graphics cards to run.

If AI-based shading like DLSS 5 becomes the mainstream standard, then graphics cards below the RTX 5000 series will be rendered completely obsolete.

That's what they say, but it's demonstrably false. The 1080 can do DLSS just fine, Nvidia's locked it out in the drivers. Purely a business decision on Nvidia's part, nothing to do with any hardware limitation of the card.

There's a few youtube videos, here's the first one I found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZZlrgCwedI
Originally posted by xancex:
Originally posted by Lionel Lossi:
The game is poorly optimized. Sure I can run it on max settings on 9070XT but it hogs a lot of resources like 30GB RAM. Play it on consoles if you have one.
PlayStation 5 has 16 GB RAM.
So why PC players need 30+GB?
Because MicroSlop Windows uses 16GB on its own.
That GPU is almost 10 years old, lmao.

It was good once, but it is time to do like Elsa and let it go.
is not your card. is the game. i havea 5070 ti and it crashes. look at all the posts of players complaining.
Originally posted by X1n-G0n:
is not your card. is the game. i havea 5070 ti and it crashes. look at all the posts of players complaining.

Yes, but how does it crash?
I can't even get in the first cutscene x)
Originally posted by X1n-G0n:
is not your card. is the game. i havea 5070 ti and it crashes. look at all the posts of players complaining.
its its the card and if yours is a RTX5070 the its your setup..I have a RTX 4070 Super O.C and the game runs fine even with the newer drivers.
Originally posted by GySgt~SPARTA~:
Originally posted by X1n-G0n:
is not your card. is the game. i havea 5070 ti and it crashes. look at all the posts of players complaining.
its the card and if yours is a RTX5070 the its your setup..I have a RTX 4070 Super O.C and the game runs fine even with the newer drivers.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 73 comments
Per page: 1530 50