ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

View Stats:
What the heck did they do to Ace Combat
1. AC: Zero is a DLC. Why not make it a stand alone game. Who made this decision and what were they thinking?

2. The performance is below expectations considering how solid AC 7 was at launch. I am on 9800x3d stock, rtx 5090 OC, and 64 GB of 6000 RAM. Game is intermittently choppy at maximum setting for me, cannot imagine having cheaper hardware. Going to try high settings next time I start the game up.

This one is only mentioned because of how well 7 was at launch, comparatively. I know they will likely improve performance on pc in time but it does make you wonder where all the talent and knowhow went since 2020.

3. Most of all... why did they mess with the feel of the game. The flight physics feel awwwful. If they would have just made the game AC 7's parameters it would be solid. Feels like flying a cargo plane while in a F/A-18. That is quite the accomplishment I have to say, in a bad way.

4. Overall the gameplay with missiles and guns feels wrong too. Missiles seem like they appear off the side of screen instead of from the plane like they did in 7. Guns are now more inaccurate which is fine but they feel off too. For example if you in gun range and are off by a large enough area the guns still hit, which feels handicapped. Again, unlike in 7 where precision was far more needed.

5. The whole damn game feels like it is supposed to be on rails holding your hand. I'm playing on "Elite", because changing the difficulty modes names also had to be done for reasons, and the game feels like it's on easy. I've played three missions so far and gotten S rank on the first try.

I have to mention that the carrier landing feels completely awful as well. Don't slightly tap the brake or you'll drop 50 feet instantly. Don't allow the player with thousands of hours of experience to fly past 300 knots. Also, it's 2026 and still no arresting wire with afterburner. Its been over 25 years.

6. The story, characters, setting, the creepy and weird phantom voice of a coward pilot, who you met for 15 minutes, in your MC's head. You're picked up from being stranded at seam get rescued, then are immediately put in the RIO of a F/A-18 for seemingly no reason other than we need pilots. The story easily could have cut away to a week later and made 10x more since, perhaps in that time meeting the crew in a more realistic, less awkward way.

Then of course they have to make her the XO of the carrier too, for modernity reasons of course. Represent the 1% of the 1% of navy officers. I can see Sweet Baby Inc's involvement in this one.

The game feels like it is for modern audiences, which is not a good thing anyway you look at it. Haven't even tried multiplayer but with this gameplay I don't know if I want to.

==========

Overall severely disappointed in the choices made here when the perfect example was already made and sold millions of copies. I foresee this game being the most hated title of the IP. I've played every AC since air and wow is this the worst so far.

I do like the visuals a lot. Graphics and new clouds are amazing! The new first person mode is a good evolution in the right direction, and the Horizon multiplayer is a good idea minus the fuel.


These are all my opinions and I could not possibly care less if you disagree. Your boo's mean nothing to me, I've seen what makes you people cheer.

Let's hope AC9 is more of a return to AC7 and what we've grown up with.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 114 comments
Thank you for that in depth review. Was looking for something like this before deciding to by considering how much I disliked the last AC
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, I spent 4 months criticising what they are shoving into Online thinking that Campaign will without shadow of the doubt be amazing and driving force behind positive reviews, but things seem to be getting worse and worse and worse. Seeing what is happening it seems that the early reviewers were absolutely full of ♥♥♥♥. To think 2 hours ago I almost bent and pulled my wallet wanting to actually buy it...

Thank you for comprehensive sets of info.
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ when they see a black woman: Sweet Baby Inc did this to me
I practically bought it for easy AC0. It's not standalone just like the previous holy trinity games were on ac7's launch. It lets them distribute the game through a legal loophole not requiring them to pay liscening fees for the planes used.
To address points 2 and 3:

On point 2; I've had zero performance issues so far on far weaker hardware. I'm running a 5800X3D, 6800 XT, and 64GB of 3200 DDR4. I'm also running the game at 1440p with High settings on Linux, so maybe it's the max settings having some issue right now.

On point 3; The flight model feels almost exactly like Ace Combat 4, in that the planes feel very weighty compared to Ace Combat 7. It's just something to get used to TBH.
9070 XT and same CPU as you, performance is pretty brutal on my end too with 4K running. Gotta run it to ultra performance to get over 60fps. And this game eats up a lot of ram. Got over 40GBs of ram being used. 6000 DDR5 btw.
I have a 9800X3D, and a 4090. I've gotten no chop or stutter so far. I have had a drop down to the mid 70's, but I'm almost always over 100 fps (at 1440p, maxed). If you need help tuning the game or your PC I'd love to help! The games great so far, and your PC, on paper, should really be kicking butt. Sorry to hear that theres some troubles.
rtx 5090, 9950x3d here. No issues, clean 144fps lock. (1440p maxed)
ac9 probably wont happen if ac8 doesnt make enough money
For a fan that want's AC8 to be nothing like AC7, (like myself), this is good news. lol

Glad people mentioning the flight model feeling more weighty like AC4: Shattered Skies, which is my favorite game in the series.
Also the dialogues. Why would they make me a useless option to pick yes/no. Its 0 variability AND it does not matter. Some guy asks to leave my formation, i refuse and he does it anyways, and nothing happens to him for not following an order. Like bro, just remove the dialogue. Ig they tried to do something like in titanfall 2, where they dont matter but still options to choose, but it was far from Yes/no answers. Like what the f???? I didnt eat for a week to buy this game and this is what i get?
Aside from the random jab at what you perceive as "DEI" you've got some good criticisms here. Just remove that part and this is a legit review.
Originally posted by Metal Izanagi:
Aside from the random jab at what you perceive as "DEI" you've got some good criticisms here. Just remove that part and this is a legit review.
Can't, gotta have that outrage to farm clout that amounts to nothing.
I was so suspicious of how much shilling I've seen of this game. I saw people who don't normally play or at least make videos about these type of games saying it's the best game ever.

I guess it's 2026, I shouldn't have gotten excited in the first place. Most "modern" games suck and it looks like ace combat has joined that club.
wtf are people crying about "ACZ is a DLC"?
We KNEW it's not gonna be a standalone game months ago.
In fact I'm happy they at least made it a DLC so that people who didn't pre-order still have a chance to get it.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 114 comments
Per page: 1530 50