ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

View Stats:
The grind ruins the game
Don't know why they kept the garbage 'aircraft tree' system from 7 that wasn't fun to begin with, but in this one it feels 20x more obnoxious and grindy. Why tf do I have to spend all my mission income on these BS little perk parts just to get the 'option' of buying a plane four times?

♥♥♥♥ right the hell off Bamco just let me unlock planes like in the old games by shooting stuff down. Actually sucking ALL the fun out of the game having to play the exact same loadout over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Oh and on top of that the game decides that the realism hill it wants to die on is segregating planes between carrier-capable and not. wtf is the point? Grind a plane and then can't use it anyway? Utterly stupid.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 32 comments
It's a lot less grind than 7 though- longer campaign and cheaper planes and I think higher rewards.

There's no need to buy 4 of every single plane anyway. What your wingmen fly Isn't nearly as important and mixed squadrons are often better
Originally posted by Quillithe:
It's a lot less grind than 7 though- longer campaign and cheaper planes and I think higher rewards.

There's no need to buy 4 of every single plane anyway. What your wingmen fly Isn't nearly as important and mixed squadrons are often better
Sure as ♥♥♥♥ doesn't feel 'less grind'. In fact it feels grindy as ♥♥♥♥, and you can't even make more income in free mission so you can play the plane you want that you got cucked out of using because of a 10k point difference.

Stupid ass system ruins the game and makes it an RPG instead of plane call of duty like all the other games. It's bad enough I have to sit through these god awful toddler-dialogue cutscenes with QTE's, the entire premise of 8 seems to be justifying it's 70 dollar price tag by wasting the MAXIMUM amount of your time it can while offering the bare minimum of entertainment.

At this point 10 missions in I kinda just wish I could get a refund because it feels like I'm being trolled. Thank god this joke included Ace Combat Zero.
I only buy one plane each for myself, F the squadies they mostly useless anyways.. Should be the military's job to give us the planes we need to use and not have to buy f-all that's what taxpayers are for lol.... Satire aside,,,,

The grind and rewards are meh at best and I agree about the minimal perks being a thing blocking the path to the plane... This is my first Ace Combat game and to say the least it's underwhelming for me..
You know, you can skip cutscenes if you want.

Compared to 7 I hit the top tier planes on mission 12 or so instead of 18. AC7 had me flying basically one plane the whole time, this you can afford a new one every 2-3 missions

And I'm fairly sure free mission still gives you MRP
Originally posted by Sinister:
I only buy one plane each for myself, F the squadies there mostly useless anyways.. Should be the military's job to give us the planes we need to use and not have to buy f-all that's what taxpayers are for lol.... Satire aside,,,,

The grind and rewards are meh at best and I agree about the minimal perks being a thing blocking the path to the plane... This is my first Ace Combat game and to say the least it's underwhelming for me..
Get Project Wingman it absolutely smokes anything Ace Combat has produced for the last like 20 years. At this point all AC has over it is (only somewhat better) graphics.
Originally posted by Muad'Dib:
♥♥♥♥ right the hell off Bamco just let me unlock planes like in the old games by shooting stuff down. Actually sucking ALL the fun out of the game having to play the exact same loadout over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

why do you act like you don't spend money on planes in the old games. wowww bro my buy menu is a tree instead of a line wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww time to throw a fittttttttt

"the grind" when you can beat AC0 5 times and still not have enough money for every plane
"the grind" when you have a abysmal research system in 5
Originally posted by Quillithe:
You know, you can skip cutscenes if you want.

Compared to 7 I hit the top tier planes on mission 12 or so instead of 18. AC7 had me flying basically one plane the whole time, this you can afford a new one every 2-3 missions

And I'm fairly sure free mission still gives you MRP
It does not, I wasted time finding that out the hard way.
Originally posted by Krazy:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib:
♥♥♥♥ right the hell off Bamco just let me unlock planes like in the old games by shooting stuff down. Actually sucking ALL the fun out of the game having to play the exact same loadout over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

why do you act like you don't spend money on planes in the old games. wowww bro my buy menu is a tree instead of a line wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww time to throw a fittttttttt
We gonna pretend it took anywhere remotely near as long in 4, 5, or 0 to unlock planes?

Okay, go ahead, let's hear this cope. Sure, you still had to 'buy' the aircraft in old games, but unlocking a plane in say, shattered skies, is a complete JOKE compared to unlocking one in 7 or 8. For starters, you don't have to go through a bunch of BS JRPG-slop 'plane parts' first.
Originally posted by Quillithe:
You know, you can skip cutscenes if you want.

Compared to 7 I hit the top tier planes on mission 12 or so instead of 18. AC7 had me flying basically one plane the whole time, this you can afford a new one every 2-3 missions

And I'm fairly sure free mission still gives you MRP

Free mission does give MRP, the only thing that you do not get is the first time clear bonus, which, depending from mission to mission can be quite substantial.

If you want to easily farm MRP, mission 16 is where it's at. The targets are always in the same spot, and if you're familiar with the locations of said targets, you can knock out the mission in a matter of 4-5 minutes for 70k MRP per attempt.
Originally posted by Muad'Dib:
Originally posted by Quillithe:
You know, you can skip cutscenes if you want.

Compared to 7 I hit the top tier planes on mission 12 or so instead of 18. AC7 had me flying basically one plane the whole time, this you can afford a new one every 2-3 missions

And I'm fairly sure free mission still gives you MRP
It does not, I wasted time finding that out the hard way.

It absolutely does give you MRP, I've used it to get new aircraft when I'm a bit short.
I'm not to 16 but replayed 7 once for a bunch of points. Blowing up 60k points of ground targets is pretty effective (and it's fun bombing everything anyway)
Originally posted by Kay:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib:
It does not, I wasted time finding that out the hard way.

It absolutely does give you MRP, I've used it to get new aircraft when I'm a bit short.
I literally just did it, and no, it absolutely does not. Mission 7. Nearly 60k in points. ZERO MRP. Maybe the caveat is you can't get any bonus or points you already did, so if you already got S rank, and then you do it again, teehee sorry!
Fun fact:

You can get MRP from doing free missions. hth
Originally posted by Muad'Dib:
Originally posted by Kay:

It absolutely does give you MRP, I've used it to get new aircraft when I'm a bit short.
I literally just did it, and no, it absolutely does not. Mission 7. Nearly 60k in points. ZERO MRP. Maybe the caveat is you can't get any bonus or points you already did, so if you already got S rank, and then you do it again, teehee sorry!

What? Thursday I grinded mission 16 about 8 times to buy the F-22. You absolutely do get MRP for doing free missions.
Go play AC 5 and then come back and whine about grind once you've experienced the kill rate system.


Just play some free play missions, you're probably struggling because you're playing very poorly or are on story mode. You get extra MRP for playing on higher difficulties.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 32 comments
Per page: 1530 50