ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

View Stats:
Game Crashes Alot!
I updated my drivers, and my PC specs are well above the recommended, but my game will crash every 30 minutes or so. Is this common for anyone else and if you've found a fix? AC7 doesn't have this issue at all for me.
Originally posted by Calsetes:
I had a lot of crashes, and adding this to launch options fixed it for me:

-DisableAsyncCompute -dpcvars=r.D3D12.AllowAsyncCompute=0

Haven't had a crash so far since adding that (fingers crossed.)
< >
Showing 1-15 of 27 comments
yes the game is really unstable with any configuration, seems DX 12 problem or something like this
Originally posted by Gianluca:
yes the game is really unstable with any configuration, seems DX 12 problem or something like this
ive read that there might be some memory leak within the game, i hope that they fix that because it's ♥♥♥♥♥♥ finishing a 30 minute mission to have the game crash during the ending cut scene and to lose all that progress
I got a Crash 01 error right at the prologue cutscene, not sure if that's related to yours, but as far as crashing in general, count me as a +1.
its gotten more unstable as the game goes on. got to around 70% of the campaign before i started to hit regular crasehs and now can barely do a mission without a crash
Originally posted by The Golden Knight:
I got a Crash 01 error right at the prologue cutscene, not sure if that's related to yours, but as far as crashing in general, count me as a +1.
I just get a general crash message, like its a generic response. If I had something more specific it wouldn't be such an issue cuz I could try and trouble shoot it, but I've had wild and weird crashes. I can boot the game up and it instantly crashes, or it crashes after thirty minutes, or I play for 4 hours just fine for it to crash. Something is broken in the code and I think if you accidentally trip it, it just ♥♥♥♥♥ you. Or at least that's what it feels like.
Originally posted by Autiepup:
its gotten more unstable as the game goes on. got to around 70% of the campaign before i started to hit regular crasehs and now can barely do a mission without a crash
What mission are you on? Because I've been facing this issue since Mission 4. I basically have to restart my game every mission in hope it doesn't crash mid or at the end of a mission.
I keep crashing constantly and without warning. Sometimes I get to finish a mission, sometimes I have to restart my whole PC. It's never a soft crash where I have to restart the game, it's always a catastrophic hard crash. I managed to get to mission 11 over the past few days, but I already tried mission 11 5 times and it's breaking my motivation.
Things that I have tried: launch options, reduce quality to minimum (benchmark puts me at ultra for everything except the upscaler), set pagefile from automatic allocation to fixed allocation, I even tried quitting and restarting the game after every successful mission. Nothing really helped. I had task manager open to check performance and RAM allocation, nothing was maxed out. I had the monitoring page for my Arc B580 open to monitor temperature and usage, nothing really maxed out... I don't know anymore.

By now I am tempted to try a refund honestly but I actually wanna play the game. I like the game. But these crashes are just too much. Way beyond my refund window though from all the fiddling and testing.
Originally posted by SnowDrakE:
I keep crashing constantly and without warning. Sometimes I get to finish a mission, sometimes I have to restart my whole PC. It's never a soft crash where I have to restart the game, it's always a catastrophic hard crash. I managed to get to mission 11 over the past few days, but I already tried mission 11 5 times and it's breaking my motivation.
For me how I've been going through the campaign is completing a mission. Then restarting AC8, and maybe after two or three hours just hard restart my PC. I've read reports that this game has a Ram Memory Leak issue which would make sense why it's random. It's one of those things that unless they fix it or the community fixes it, its here to stay.
Originally posted by SnowDrakE:
Things that I have tried: launch options, reduce quality to minimum (benchmark puts me at ultra for everything except the upscaler), set pagefile from automatic allocation to fixed allocation, I even tried quitting and restarting the game after every successful mission. Nothing really helped. I had task manager open to check performance and RAM allocation, nothing was maxed out. I had the monitoring page for my Arc B580 open to monitor temperature and usage, nothing really maxed out... I don't know anymore.

By now I am tempted to try a refund honestly but I actually wanna play the game. I like the game. But these crashes are just too much. Way beyond my refund window though from all the fiddling and testing.
Steam is really good about refunds, just state what that you were trying to fix it and it never worked. I completely understand the frustration because it's a constant issue. I'm surprised other users don't have more problems which makes me wonder what hardware they're using.
Originally posted by 8ightybytes:
Originally posted by SnowDrakE:
I keep crashing constantly and without warning. Sometimes I get to finish a mission, sometimes I have to restart my whole PC. It's never a soft crash where I have to restart the game, it's always a catastrophic hard crash. I managed to get to mission 11 over the past few days, but I already tried mission 11 5 times and it's breaking my motivation.
For me how I've been going through the campaign is completing a mission. Then restarting AC8, and maybe after two or three hours just hard restart my PC. I've read reports that this game has a Ram Memory Leak issue which would make sense why it's random. It's one of those things that unless they fix it or the community fixes it, its here to stay.
That's the thing, if you read my second post, I had the Taskmanager open and on my last crash the RAM wasn't even maxed out. If there was a leak, I didn't see it there at least.
Originally posted by SnowDrakE:
Originally posted by 8ightybytes:
For me how I've been going through the campaign is completing a mission. Then restarting AC8, and maybe after two or three hours just hard restart my PC. I've read reports that this game has a Ram Memory Leak issue which would make sense why it's random. It's one of those things that unless they fix it or the community fixes it, its here to stay.
That's the thing, if you read my second post, I had the Taskmanager open and on my last crash the RAM wasn't even maxed out. If there was a leak, I didn't see it there at least.
Would that show in Task manager? From how I understood it, was that your Ram would overload within the program and cause it to crash before ever posting to TM. I genuinely might be wrong but that is how it was explained to me in the past.
Originally posted by 8ightybytes:
Originally posted by SnowDrakE:
That's the thing, if you read my second post, I had the Taskmanager open and on my last crash the RAM wasn't even maxed out. If there was a leak, I didn't see it there at least.
Would that show in Task manager? From how I understood it, was that your Ram would overload within the program and cause it to crash before ever posting to TM. I genuinely might be wrong but that is how it was explained to me in the past.
In that case that would be a memory overflow, not a memory leak. A memory leak means that it keeps using more and more RAM without releasing unused allocations until you run out. A memory overflow means that you use more memory than allocated, also outside of what is available and this can cause access to adjacent memory, leading to an unstable system.

The problem we see looks a lot more like memory overflow, which is kinda difficult to track. A memory leak should be visible in the task manager... and I don't see one happening.
Originally posted by 8ightybytes:
I updated my drivers, and my PC specs are well above the recommended, but my game will crash every 30 minutes or so. Is this common for anyone else and if you've found a fix? AC7 doesn't have this issue at all for me.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/2288340/discussions/0/594068631729510382/?ctp=2#c594068631729541590
Originally posted by SnowDrakE:
Originally posted by 8ightybytes:
Would that show in Task manager? From how I understood it, was that your Ram would overload within the program and cause it to crash before ever posting to TM. I genuinely might be wrong but that is how it was explained to me in the past.
In that case that would be a memory overflow, not a memory leak. A memory leak means that it keeps using more and more RAM without releasing unused allocations until you run out. A memory overflow means that you use more memory than allocated, also outside of what is available and this can cause access to adjacent memory, leading to an unstable system.

The problem we see looks a lot more like memory overflow, which is kinda difficult to track. A memory leak should be visible in the task manager... and I don't see one happening.
Thanks for clearing that up, I do genuinely appreciate it.
I just wonder what is causing the inconsistency, as it's enough for multiple people to document.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 27 comments
Per page: 1530 50