ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

View Stats:
Easy HOTAS Support
Hey all!

I made this little joystick mapper app when the game came out because it was a little unbelievable that a flight game didn't support flight sticks/joysticks/HOTAS and I really hated jumping through all the hoops for other methods.

Anyways, I just wanted to say I've been blown away by the support from the community as we just passed 2,000 downloads last night!

It's completely free and is nearly a one click install. It should work with all joysticks (and controllers for specific controller remappings) but if something is a little wonky with your specific one feel free to open an issue and I can get it in. I'll be doing nothing today besides working on support :)

There is no reason you shouldn't enjoy the game just because you have to use KBM or controller when you don't want to.

--> https://github.com/Alphonsvds/joystick-mapper

Cheers! <3
< >
Showing 1-15 of 80 comments
Thanks, you're a legend.

Will test this out tomorrow. Just one question, can I setup a left/right VKB gladiator setup or just the right stick?
Originally posted by Espio0:
Thanks, you're a legend.

Will test this out tomorrow. Just one question, can I setup a left/right VKB gladiator setup or just the right stick?
You can set up both! I think I’ll only have “official” support for the right VKB one but I’ll add the left and all the others. You can still use them, you just get a “universal UI” vs the nice photo one

You can use separate throttles and stuff too! You just select them in the devices dropdown to configure :)
The other method(s) required a pretty robust command line launch command to enable their 'mod' in-game. Does this mean I can remove said command and just use this instead?
Originally posted by Godzilla Solos:
Hey all!

I made this little joystick mapper app when the game came out because it was a little unbelievable that a flight game didn't support flight sticks/joysticks/HOTAS and I really hated jumping through all the hoops for other methods.

Anyways, I just wanted to say I've been blown away by the support from the community as we just passed 2,000 downloads last night!

It's completely free and is nearly a one click install. It should work with all joysticks (and controllers for specific controller remappings) but if something is a little wonky with your specific one feel free to open an issue and I can get it in. I'll be doing nothing today besides working on support :)

There is no reason you shouldn't enjoy the game just because you have to use KBM or controller when you don't want to.

--> https://github.com/Alphonsvds/joystick-mapper

Cheers! <3


I was about to post this myself. Been using your mapper for a couple days now. I have a VKB Gladiator and STECS and it works beautifully.
Originally posted by Godzilla Solos:
Originally posted by Espio0:
Thanks, you're a legend.

Will test this out tomorrow. Just one question, can I setup a left/right VKB gladiator setup or just the right stick?
You can set up both! I think I’ll only have “official” support for the right VKB one but I’ll add the left and all the others. You can still use them, you just get a “universal UI” vs the nice photo one

You can use separate throttles and stuff too! You just select them in the devices dropdown to configure :)

it works perfectly, it took just a tiny bit of tweaking and now i'm finaly able to play AC8 with my HOTAS setup.

Originally posted by Arcmanov:
The other method(s) required a pretty robust command line launch command to enable their 'mod' in-game. Does this mean I can remove said command and just use this instead?

you just run the program, make a profile and setup your stick/throttle and save it. that's all you need to do. just leave the program open when playing.
Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar. I bought a Turtle Beach VelocityOne specifically for this game, and I was not happy when it wasn't regocnized. I am optimistic that I will finally be able to play this game now, so I thank you in advance.
Amazing Mapper! these guys should hire you lol. I have one question though. Is it possible to change the yaw twists so that right when i perform a twist lb/rb is pressed right away? Right now i have to pretty much almost all the way in each direction just to engage in yaw even with deadzone at 0%.
Originally posted by Arcmanov:
The other method(s) required a pretty robust command line launch command to enable their 'mod' in-game. Does this mean I can remove said command and just use this instead?

Yup yup! No other software is needed :) Just keep this running in the backround is all :)
Originally posted by Espio0:
Originally posted by Godzilla Solos:
You can set up both! I think I’ll only have “official” support for the right VKB one but I’ll add the left and all the others. You can still use them, you just get a “universal UI” vs the nice photo one

You can use separate throttles and stuff too! You just select them in the devices dropdown to configure :)

it works perfectly, it took just a tiny bit of tweaking and now i'm finaly able to play AC8 with my HOTAS setup.

Originally posted by Arcmanov:
The other method(s) required a pretty robust command line launch command to enable their 'mod' in-game. Does this mean I can remove said command and just use this instead?

you just run the program, make a profile and setup your stick/throttle and save it. that's all you need to do. just leave the program open when playing.


Love to hear it! What HOTAS do you use btw? Happy to add better support for it :)
Originally posted by Kilstryke:
Originally posted by Godzilla Solos:
Hey all!

I made this little joystick mapper app when the game came out because it was a little unbelievable that a flight game didn't support flight sticks/joysticks/HOTAS and I really hated jumping through all the hoops for other methods.

Anyways, I just wanted to say I've been blown away by the support from the community as we just passed 2,000 downloads last night!

It's completely free and is nearly a one click install. It should work with all joysticks (and controllers for specific controller remappings) but if something is a little wonky with your specific one feel free to open an issue and I can get it in. I'll be doing nothing today besides working on support :)

There is no reason you shouldn't enjoy the game just because you have to use KBM or controller when you don't want to.

--> https://github.com/Alphonsvds/joystick-mapper

Cheers! <3


I was about to post this myself. Been using your mapper for a couple days now. I have a VKB Gladiator and STECS and it works beautifully.


Amazing to hear! Glad you're liking it! If you ever have any suggestions do let me know :)
Originally posted by RicePirate:
Amazing Mapper! these guys should hire you lol. I have one question though. Is it possible to change the yaw twists so that right when i perform a twist lb/rb is pressed right away? Right now i have to pretty much almost all the way in each direction just to engage in yaw even with deadzone at 0%.

Hey! I can definitely look into it. Which joystick do you have? I did add just a sensitivity slider so you can play with the deadzone, sensitivty and anti deadzone to see what works! You can also shoot over your device info in a github issues ticket and I can dive deeper on why it's doing that. Note, you can change your settings and save them while the game is running so I highly recommend jumping into a practice match and see if it works :)

Happy to help and sorry YAW is being wonky for you.
Originally posted by axelay.mk3:
Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar. I bought a Turtle Beach VelocityOne specifically for this game, and I was not happy when it wasn't regocnized. I am optimistic that I will finally be able to play this game now, so I thank you in advance.

Love to hear it thank you so much!! Just added support for velocityOne today so you should have the nice pretty pictures and lines to help you map but if anything needs tweaking please do let me know! :)
Originally posted by Espio0:
Thanks, you're a legend.

Will test this out tomorrow. Just one question, can I setup a left/right VKB gladiator setup or just the right stick?

Hey hey! Yup, I actually support a ton of VKB devices so you can pick and choose. It has multi-device support so you can select which device you want to map from the device dropdown :) I have people who run throttles, joysticks and rudders all separately.

As always, let me know if something needs tweaking! It's hard to find some VKB mapping references but I did my best :)
Man... I gotta hand it to you. This is FANTASTIC. I'm using a Virpil Constellation Alpha stick and a Winwing Orion 2 throttle, and this works perfectly for both. I can't believe Bandai Namco left out official HOTAS support for the PC version. If you could do this so easily, then they have NO excuse.
Originally posted by Arcmanov:
Man... I gotta hand it to you. This is FANTASTIC. I'm using a Virpil Constellation Alpha stick and a Winwing Orion 2 throttle, and this works perfectly for both. I can't believe Bandai Namco left out official HOTAS support for the PC version. If you could do this so easily, then they have NO excuse.

Yay that's awesome and makes me so happy!! I'm so glad it works for you :) I'll have to work on adding 'official' support for all the Virpil devices with their respective photos so you can have a more pretty interface. Slowly but surely!

If you need any tweaks don't be afraid to put an issue into the Github issues tracker :)
< >
Showing 1-15 of 80 comments
Per page: 1530 50