ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

View Stats:
Is the protagonist young or old?
He seems to be an upcoming pilot, but at the same time he seems to be much closer to Baxter when they have dialogues , well, when the protagonist listens. It's just how the story develops his carreer it seems to suggest a younger person, but who he seems to be closer too, Baxter and Kate it's almost like he is older, at least than Tasha and Costner.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
He's probably early to mid 20s. Older than Tasha and Coster. But younger than Baxter.
Originally posted by Captain Cracksnort:
He's probably early to mid 20s. Older than Tasha and Coster. But younger than Baxter.
Baxter treats you like you two are part of the same generation and he's close to 40, so i guess rex is at least 35.
Considering the random amount of respect you get, but lack of overall disrespect (Molemen not with standing), I'd say mid-30s.
Baxter doesn't treat you like a kid, Tasha doesn't act like you're actually old, but seems to use you as a buffer to Baxter's jokes (they bounce off of each other really well).

Coster and Cope don't seem to mind your age, and the rest of the crew doesn't appear to treat you as a newbie or someone straight out of high school- so probably mid-30s.

That's my vote. Maybe 36.
Late 20's to early 30's.
It is the same character throughout the ages so more than 100+ years old.
I do believe Rex is an older pilot like Baxter is, too. Again, the way Baxter speaks with Rex, particularly the end of mission 7 to let the young do their thing, and protect that.

Also, "old" in the civilian world and the military is very different. A 23 or 24 year old Sergeant / Petty Officer, or even a brand new officer is considered old compared to the rank and file.

The military is a young person's world but there's older leadership to keep things going right. Being around the junior enlisted so much who are always late teens, early 20s it kind of feels like time is standing still almost.
There was a funny moment when I was still in the service and been in 12 or so years, when I realized I was far older than the ones I was leading. My guys were listening to some music and I was no longer able to even identify what genre they belonged to, never mind the artists' names. I used to be able to identify popular artists' names even if I didn't prefer them. Not anymore by that point.

I remember one of my Lance Corporals, 21 years old, was funny in that he was a fan of "retro" 1980s and 1990s music. He liked to excitedly ask questions about it because I lived through the era as a young person. For him he could only read or watch videos about it and not see, hear the stuff when it was new. It really made me feel older haha
Originally posted by wombat93:
I do believe Rex is an older pilot like Baxter is, too. Again, the way Baxter speaks with Rex, particularly the end of mission 7 to let the young do their thing, and protect that.

Also, "old" in the civilian world and the military is very different. A 23 or 24 year old Sergeant / Petty Officer, or even a brand new officer is considered old compared to the rank and file.

The military is a young person's world but there's older leadership to keep things going right. Being around the junior enlisted so much who are always late teens, early 20s it kind of feels like time is standing still almost.
There was a funny moment when I was still in the service and been in 12 or so years, when I realized I was far older than the ones I was leading. My guys were listening to some music and I was no longer able to even identify what genre they belonged to, never mind the artists' names. I used to be able to identify popular artists' names even if I didn't prefer them. Not anymore by that point.

I remember one of my Lance Corporals, 21 years old, was funny in that he was a fan of "retro" 1980s and 1990s music. He liked to excitedly ask questions about it because I lived through the era as a young person. For him he could only read or watch videos about it and not see, hear the stuff when it was new. It really made me feel older haha
Yeah, I think he might not even be really an upcoming pilot as I thought, otherwise why the hell make him the new Wings of Theve, I get they say they are understaffed, still it's a big responsibility for just random bloke that happened to be fished out of the sea nearby.
Look at his hand when holding Cope's dogtag,
Hands, face and throat are the 1st part of the body that shows aging signs.

I'd say he's closer from 30 than anything

My guess ? Ace Combat started in 1995, so 31 ( my age :D )
the short answer is, hes silent and faceless, hes your age (assuming your an adult of conscription and drafting age atleast)
It's most likely that the protagonist is either 1.) AI data and it's all a simulation or 2.) You're really "Rex" and you're in a proto-electrosphere but confused
The character is as close to a blank slate as the devs can get. So, imprint whatever age you want on him. That's (allegedly) the reason that every single protagonist in the series is silent.

As far as I know, the only protagonist we definitively know the age for is Jaeger from AC3, and that's because we know his father's bio from AC7.

Everyone else, as far as I am aware, the best we get is the date they entered service, which could mean they joined as soon as they were 18, or they could have joined into their 20s.

I haven't gotten far into the campaign yet, I haven't had much time to play with other things on my plate

But my guess is that canonically, the protagonists are all in their mid 20s; that's assuming that Strangereal follows the same general practice in our world where officers generally have a 4 year college/university degree. 18 + 4 years college + 2 years flight school.

Plus, if Rex were older, they'd be ribbing him for it. And Cope seemed to talk to him like he's younger.
would say it's mobius 1 on his second "out-of-retirement-comeback-to-kick-ass-in-usea" thing but the events of the game say otherwise.
Protagonist is old. Significantly older than Tasha/Coster, you can see that from how Baxter (aged 42 at death) talk to Rex as if they are two dads (himself and Rex) leading a son and a daughter (Coster and Tasha).

This is probably the first time player character is a middle-aged man among the AC main series.
Originally posted by Kain:
He seems to be an upcoming pilot, but at the same time he seems to be much closer to Baxter when they have dialogues , well, when the protagonist listens. It's just how the story develops his carreer it seems to suggest a younger person, but who he seems to be closer too, Baxter and Kate it's almost like he is older, at least than Tasha and Costner.
Rp wise for me im atleast old annove to have faught in the belkain war
Originally posted by boris.glevrk:
Protagonist is old. Significantly older than Tasha/Coster, you can see that from how Baxter (aged 42 at death) talk to Rex as if they are two dads (himself and Rex) leading a son and a daughter (Coster and Tasha).

This is probably the first time player character is a middle-aged man among the AC main series.

Have you ever heard the word "spoiler" before?

Because I truly do appreciate the one you just dropped. So, thanks for that, I really really love it when someone ruins plot points of a story.


(that's sarcasm, if you couldn't tell)

To add on:
Why tf did you even feel the need to add that (at the time of death) part? Do just like ruining ♥♥♥♥? Or are you just dense?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
Per page: 1530 50