ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

View Stats:
What do we like about the game?
There's been many posts about the bad and disappointing, but what are some things about the game we like?

I really like having two SP slots. I also think selecting squad aircraft is nice, but I do wish we could pick their SP weapon. The sound design is awesome with the machine gun really packing a punch. The score is pretty good overall. The checkpoints have been rather generous. The story was also good overall with that classic Ace Combat cheese. I think the characters were well written and properly fleshed out. The game looks fantastic with many scenes that are just nice to look at. There is good variety in the mission selection with a plethora of mega weapons, albeit there were a few too many rail gun appearance for my liking.

I haven't been online much as my focus has been on the campaign, but once online has some kinks worked out, I'll jump in more. It's common for online multiplayer to have issues early in a game's launch as there are thousands more eyes finding issues than a team of developers.

What do you like about the game?
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
No multiplayer achievements hell yeah 😄
Originally posted by bigparrot409:
but I do wish we could pick their SP weapon.

Oh okay I thought I was missing something lol, i was wondering why I couldn't do this.
The Sotoans are a vibe. I didn't notice it until I got into the plane editor. But the moon on their insignia starts as a crescent for the less experienced pilots and grows fuller until they reach 22nd group with a full shining moon. Plus the horse archer motif is just stellar.

Gives a sort of Mongol or other steppe culture vibe with the tribal/pasture elements and planes being the new horses. Lux 22 digging into that by calling his missiles "Arrows" only aligns with that more.
I really enjoyed the overall sound design for the aircraft. The first time I dropped a LAGM the clunk & it very briefly falling off the hardpoint was pretty satisfying, felt really heavy.

I was jump scared by Cope talking mid mission after turning on windows sonic cause I was so focused at one point, I actually looked over my shoulder after immediately pausing lmao.
definitely mission pacing, production costs on cutscenes, enemy planes have more flight patterns and I feel overral the jets control like, 20% better (if I had to guess) than ac7 felt to me.

Graphics also nice
I like the top gun maverick type vibes even if mission 2 crashes when I try to load it :steamhappy:
Lux Lunae aesthetics are insane and the aircraft tree actually feels meaningfully rewarding
Pretty much everything. Improvement over 7 in every way, IMO.
I'd like more jets, but i'm sure those will come as DLCs. Also, funny how the fictional jets seem lower tech than 7, despite this happening later.

Though i do wonder if this series will ever have a story that doesn't go like:
Good guys on the brink of defeat due to enemy superweapons. Until they pull the greatest ace pilot out of their ass who dominates every battle. Until the enemy pulls another superweapon out of their ass.
Just a non-stop series of ass pulls :steamhappy:
I like the sonic booms
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
Per page: 1530 50