MYTH
All Ages?
So, what's left from horror eroge in all ages version? Is it about cute girls smiling in sunny field and doing absolutely nothing now?

And when can one buy normal version?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
It's my assumption that it's labeled "All Ages" because the sex scenes are taken out- not because any of the horror elements are.
The Steam release of Myth is just as messed up as you'd expect of a psychological horror title, screenshots on the store page should tell you as much. Only thing that differs between 18+ and All Ages release is one very out of place sex scene that shows up early in the story and then is not mentioned again.
There's lots of joking about visual novel developers adding porn to games because they think they wouldn't sell othervise, but Myth seriously feels like an example of it. And it's not like cutting was done on MangaGamer side, original devs made the two different versions.

If you want solid, realized story go for Steam version. If you need one out of place sex-scene, go for 18+ version.
Originally posted by Tellah:
It's my assumption that it's labeled "All Ages" because the sex scenes are taken out- not because any of the horror elements are.
How would that be All Ages?
Originally posted by kozec:
Originally posted by Tellah:
It's my assumption that it's labeled "All Ages" because the sex scenes are taken out- not because any of the horror elements are.
How would that be All Ages?
It's the Japanese way of classifying releases, usually used when 18+ game is ported to console.
All Ages = Without Graphic Sex
Nobody would say that Higurashi is suitable for all ages, but because it doesn't have sex scenes, it's called an All Ages release.
Originally posted by Vodoka:
Nobody would say that Higurashi is suitable for all ages, but because it doesn't have sex scenes, it's called an All Ages release.
Nobody released "All Ages" version of Higurashi, even on Steam there is age check dialog before viewing anything about it. Although IRRC, despite having nothing even remotely resembling sex, 'Murican release managed to censure one scene anyway.

Anyway, if I understood correctly, there is nothing "all ages" about this one, it's just another release with stuff nonsensically cut out. Nothing to see then.
On the Mangagamer website, it classifies Higurashi as "All Ages" (and as far as I know, the Mangagamer version is exactly the same as the Steam version)
This is why I assumed that it was the same kind of "All Ages" classification when it came to MYTH.
Originally posted by Tellah:
On the Mangagamer website, it classifies Higurashi as "All Ages" (and as far as I know, the Mangagamer version is exactly the same as the Steam version)
This is why I assumed that it was the same kind of "All Ages" classification when it came to MYTH.
Maybe it refers to murdering children of all ages? :)
Originally posted by kozec:
Originally posted by Tellah:
On the Mangagamer website, it classifies Higurashi as "All Ages" (and as far as I know, the Mangagamer version is exactly the same as the Steam version)
This is why I assumed that it was the same kind of "All Ages" classification when it came to MYTH.
Maybe it refers to murdering children of all ages? :)
...okay, I laughed at that.
Hello everyone,

I wanted to chime in to give you some peace of mind that the only difference between the Steam Edition and the one available on MangaGamer.com is the removal of the brief depiction of graphic sexual content that is not permitted on Steam per their Terms of Service.

We apologize for any confusion this may have caused, and if you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask. If you would prefer to send us an email directly to our customer support, you can contact us at support@mangagamer.com.
Originally posted by le_kaitsu:
Hello everyone,

I wanted to chime in to give you some peace of mind that the only difference between the Steam Edition and the one available on MangaGamer.com is the removal of the brief depiction of graphic sexual content that is not permitted on Steam per their Terms of Service.
Thanks to clearing that up, I ended up buying game from your site.

Not even great Gaben can tell me what kind of porn should I watch :D
I find it odd that people get so bent out of shape over a random sex scene in a title. I wonder if it was a random violent scene that was cut out would they feel the same way? Honestly, they would probably still be upset over the graphic sex scenes. I guess to prudes sex is somehow more disturbing then taking a gun, knife, hammer, etc.. to torture, butcher, murder, etc.. a person. I fail to understand this logic.
Originally posted by ドラザラー:
I find it odd that people get so bent out of shape over a random sex scene in a title. I wonder if it was a random violent scene that was cut out would they feel the same way? Honestly, they would probably still be upset over the graphic sex scenes. I guess to prudes sex is somehow more disturbing then taking a gun, knife, hammer, etc.. to torture, butcher, murder, etc.. a person. I fail to understand this logic.

Personally, it's not the fact that it's a sex scene per se, but the fact that it feels out of place and detracts from the story. If the scene is organic and is a natural progression of the story and the characters' relationships, or in the very least adds something important to the plot at the time, I'm fine with it. But if it feels like it's just hacked on for the sake of gratuitous sex, then cutting it out does not bother me at all. Pacing is just as important in written stories (including VNs) as it is in movies and TV shows. It's why some great scenes from movies don't make it into the final cut. Sometimes the overall story and product is better off without them, even though the scene itself may have some interesting details or character development.

To be fair, I'm not really into overly gratuitous violence either. I do like horror games (not a big horror movie fan, oddly enough), but mostly for the psychological aspect they tend to explore which often lends itself to some very interesting discussions on life and humanity, something that's rarely pulled off as effectively in other genres.
Originally posted by Chudah:
Originally posted by ドラザラー:
I find it odd that people get so bent out of shape over a random sex scene in a title. I wonder if it was a random violent scene that was cut out would they feel the same way? Honestly, they would probably still be upset over the graphic sex scenes. I guess to prudes sex is somehow more disturbing then taking a gun, knife, hammer, etc.. to torture, butcher, murder, etc.. a person. I fail to understand this logic.

Personally, it's not the fact that it's a sex scene per se, but the fact that it feels out of place and detracts from the story. If the scene is organic and is a natural progression of the story and the characters' relationships, or in the very least adds something important to the plot at the time, I'm fine with it. But if it feels like it's just hacked on for the sake of gratuitous sex, then cutting it out does not bother me at all.
Have you played Utawarerumono? They did same thing, multiple times, even with girl that looked and acted like she shouldn't be in eroge at all, not even as side character[airhawk.deviantart.com]. Cringe of all cringes.

Despite of that, I would never tell anyone to cut those scenes out, just as I wouldn't except them to cut out scenes with murders or unimportant side routes. Otherwise, it may end like anime adaptation of Utawarerumono, when sequel suddenly has child of main character and nobody understands where that came from - there were no even remote suggestion of any kind of pairing in first season :D

One doesn't cuts from work of art, no matter how much he dislikes some parts. It's VN, you can hold control and skip over them.
Originally posted by Vodoka:
The Steam release of Myth is just as messed up as you'd expect of a psychological horror title, screenshots on the store page should tell you as much. Only thing that differs between 18+ and All Ages release is one very out of place sex scene that shows up early in the story and then is not mentioned again.
There's lots of joking about visual novel developers adding porn to games because they think they wouldn't sell othervise, but Myth seriously feels like an example of it. And it's not like cutting was done on MangaGamer side, original devs made the two different versions.

If you want solid, realized story go for Steam version. If you need one out of place sex-scene, go for 18+ version.
It's less of a joke and more of a sad fact actually Not 100% but it is

Fate/ was a similar case as example
I prefer how Japan refers to these editions as "consumer" rather than "all-ages". They're meant for the average consumer.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
Per page: 1530 50