Monster Hunter: World

Monster Hunter: World

View Stats:
SnS: Raw or Elemental?
As per title.
It's annoying that online I'm reading split opinions, and I can't figure out who's right:
someone say raw is better with SnS, someone say Elemental is perfectly fine...

So I can only speculate there is a lot of misinformation on the topic. Can you link a video "deep dive" on it with real numbers?
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Raw + Feline Heroics.
Originally posted by D. Flame:
Raw + Feline Heroics.

You say Raw, this video below at 3:15 says Elemental xD

https://youtu.be/H74Q_mQRG9M?si=Y2EVUJyz4ntFyTO0&t=195

This is what I was talking about, I have no idea who should I be listening to...
Originally posted by マルコ:
Originally posted by D. Flame:
Raw + Feline Heroics.

You say Raw, this video below at 3:15 says Elemental xD

This is what I was talking about, I have no idea who should I be listening to...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8LcZjrq2L8&t=1s
The idea that "more/faster hits = better for Ele" is a misleading over-simplification. It's a good enough approximation for beginners / casual players to get through the story, but it doesn't hold for "serious" endgame theorycrafting.

Each move has its own ele modifier. A fast move with 0% ele mod is obviously not better for ele than a slow move with 100% or even higher ele mod.

PR1 first hit and PR2 have 0% ele mod
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTEYb4wGpijtIpFVopiYl1V83m48d7g1AHmTwOBKJ5RXdlz1sfxCyEmnhbgHLWQsGiXnodyBsUlPzc3/pubhtml#gid=1948226241

Despite that, the highest theoretical DPS rotation for MHW SNS is "half rush" spam: backhop -> PR1 -> PR2 -> roll -> repeat

This was true pre-Fatalis (Blast Safi/Lightbreak had higher theoretical DPS than ele in most matchups), but is even more skewed to raw with Fatalis SnS.

The counterpoint is that the more you deviate from this "ideal" rotation, the more benefit you get from ele (on Sword moves, not Shield moves with 0% ele mod). However raw is probably still better for most matchups.

That said, use anything you want for fun. The game is nowhere near hard enough to demand strictly meta builds. You could try Kjarr ele SnS with Fatalis or Velk gamma sets.

---

This is a well-explained video on SnS raw vs ele (JP with EN subs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8n5YpMc6Lc

Damage formula (not really useful, other than knowing 0% ele mod = 0 ele damage on that move)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSuFIUfe5Sp9k6sqKvPSPbO2xcClt1WaYMf_xGocWDIkgaSDi0nBLbOKAd8GScLQRjfxbljhPO4Bjf7/pubhtml#gid=703654261
Originally posted by ":
That said, use anything you want for fun. The game is nowhere near hard enough to demand strictly meta builds. You could try Kjarr ele SnS with Fatalis or Velk gamma sets.

This is a well-explained video on SnS raw vs ele (JP with EN subs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8n5YpMc6Lc

Thanks, I'll watch the video later (I'm in game now)
Although the fact you could "use anything you want for fun" doesn't it make it feel kind of pointless doing the extra work for getting the various elemental weapons, when you can just get 1 good Raw and be done with it?
I really don't get why they've made it like this...
Originally posted by マルコ:
Although the fact you could "use anything you want for fun" doesn't it make it feel kind of pointless doing the extra work for getting the various elemental weapons, when you can just get 1 good Raw and be done with it?
I really don't get it why they've made it like this...

Yes and no. I do wish there was more build variety (Fatalis killed most options by being too good). But given what we have, I still find it fun to make off-meta builds. It's the same for most games, except live-service treadmills with intentional power creep like MMOs/gachas, where you actually can't do some content if you don't keep up with the meta.

Of course some people will think this is a waste of time, it's better to use the meta build and find the fun in other things (like improving their hunt time).

Though ele is a bit boring because it's just damage. Status (para/sleep) is more fun since it affects gameplay.

Or try other weapons. I particularly enjoy making builds for HH, because the weapon choice is not only about damage type but also songs (examples)
Originally posted by マルコ:
Originally posted by ":
That said, use anything you want for fun. The game is nowhere near hard enough to demand strictly meta builds. You could try Kjarr ele SnS with Fatalis or Velk gamma sets.

This is a well-explained video on SnS raw vs ele (JP with EN subs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8n5YpMc6Lc

Thanks, I'll watch the video later (I'm in game now)
Although the fact you could "use anything you want for fun" doesn't it make it feel kind of pointless doing the extra work for getting the various elemental weapons, when you can just get 1 good Raw and be done with it?
I really don't get why they've made it like this...
Some weapons with high elemental damage output (dual blades, bow, charge blade, etc.) can surpass fatalis' against most monsters. It is not the case with SnS, however, you still need a good ice / fire weapon for alatreon, which is the best fight in the game.
Originally posted by マルコ:
Although the fact you could "use anything you want for fun" doesn't it make it feel kind of pointless doing the extra work for getting the various elemental weapons
Different Elements have different visuals and audio effects, which is the single most important characteristic in the game.
opinions are split because elemental is better the more low motion value hits you're putting out. so if your bread and butter is the hop back charge strike raw is probably better and if you're spamming normal attacks elemental is probably better.

Kepp in mind with elemental you'll need to make a lot more weapons too.
Originally posted by ":
The idea that "more/faster hits = better for Ele" is a misleading over-simplification. It's a good enough approximation for beginners / casual players to get through the story, but it doesn't hold for "serious" endgame theorycrafting.

Pretty much what he said - if you want to focus on Meta.

--

In my view, Elemental + Crit Build with two specific armor skills, without spoilers.

The general rule for me is (like the post above, said, though, its a simplification and general rule):
Fast weapons = Elemental Focused + Crit
Slow weapons = Raw Focused + Crit

In the end game the path will narrow anyway and you will probably only use 2 SnSs, so my tip is experiment and don't focus on Meta.

Nowadays I just farm Guiding Lands for materials, MR and build random builds for fun, because, albeit the Meta path is narrow in World/Iceborne, the possibilities for builds are very huge thanks to Jewels.

In the old games we had 'only' Armor Skills focused builds, but in World/Iceborne we have so much options and the amount of weapons really opens up a lot of farming possibilities.

If you don't want any kind of hassle, focus on Critical builds - always - and forget Raw and Elemental. Focus everything on Critical.
if you rock fatalis sns, go raw, if not, go elemental with the safi stuff
USUALLY the fast weapons are better off as elemental. But what throws that off with SnS, is that your hits with the shield do not do elemental damage, so you want to go raw instead.

Then you can run something like this:
https://i.imgur.com/LOVQabC.png
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Per page: 1530 50