HelixVision

HelixVision

The Walking Dead: Final Season
I've managed to get A New Frontier to work with some effort and it truly was a blast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HamL6UurOhU

Would really like to get the last season to work if it wouldn't be too much of a hassle.
The most crucial thing getting it to work with regular 3dVision is to have "Force Full Screen on game start 1" checked in the profile. But when Katanga is part of the loop it would not stereorise at launch. It would start windowed and when I press Alt+Enter it would just go full screen without 3d. So I thought I would use 3dmigoto's Side By Side shader to stereorise it and Alt+Tab out to launch Virtual Desktop. But every time I Alt+Tab it would simply exit/crash the game?? (first time for this behaviour) When I run the game from within Virtual Desktop the game would not stereorise too.

Anything I could try to overcome any of these two problems? What is causing the game to crash at Alt+Tab or to prevent it to stereorise at game launch?
Would actually not mind to have a first run in 3dVision and record at a separation that would be VR watch compatible. But would really enjoy it more to have my first playthrough in VR..
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
Jan 13, 2021 @ 6:38pm 
I think this should work, but the TellTale engine definitely requires fiddling.

I'd focus on getting it to run in Discover mode, windowed. That gives you the best chance of having it run properly in HelixVision.

3Dmigoto SBS is not going to make any difference here, it's just using the backbuffer the same as HelixVision. If 3D Vision cannot produce the proper backbuffer neither will work.

Check my notes on the original Batman TellTale where I cracked the nut on getting those games to run- I can't quite recall what was necessary, but I know I made a specific build, or some loader or something.
Thanks Bo3b. Will see if I can spot anything.

Side By side does work pretty well. Already tested it. Its just the crashing that prevents an alternative VR experience.

Already finished the first three seasons in VR. The first two I had no luck with them being based on dx9 so I used Tridef. Still a great experience with auto-convergence as DSS implemented in some of his fixes. Little to no problems with broken effects. Would definitely place this in a must play category. Also why I decided I would do a full upload of at least one season. I believe it is necessary to have something that doesn't include too much motion. The recordings are struggling to keep constant frames in most cases even while the actual FPSs are good when playing.

The experience with HV was more polished. Saw Neovad credited you in his notes for cracking the issues on Batman. Im really looking forward to play this as well and The Wolf Among Us. Remember the great feedback on these titles at its hype. Where did you share the most about this. Old nvidia forum, helixmod website, mtbs, github or here?
Found a really odd combination that works for a VR experience. I've tampered with different settings in both ini's but nothing really got a desired Helix Vision result.

What is working with a bit of a catch is to have "3D Vision Discover (Anaglyph 3D)" activated in the "Display Profiles" part of settings. The only setting I checked in the "VR Profile". Then in the top "3D Fix" tab under "General Ini settings" I chose "Reversed Side by Side". It wil execute with no trouble while Virtual Desktop is active in the background with SBS. Alt+Tab still crashes the game. The catch is that the anaglyph filters are applied on top of the SBS shader that gives it a weird retro atmosphere. Just using regular 3D Vision wont budge. Advantage is that it doesn't really cause strain on the eyes but the effects are slightly off.

The other alternative which is less attractive is to only have "3D Vision Discover (Anaglyph 3D)" activated in the "Display Profiles" part of settings. Then you could use the "Anaglyph 3D option" of Virtual Desktop. Disadvantage is that it causes eye fatigue. While the advantage is that you could play at a better resolution and the effects doesn't appear to be affected.

Both of these options worked in Hacker mode with "Play 3D" and not "Play in VR". There is a bit of a clash when VR becomes part of the pipeline. But it is a working VR alternative that includes VD.

Couldn't find anything beneficial on the nVidia forum https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/discover/237672/batman-telltale-series/

Thanks for making this possible regardless! Definitely one of the best stereoscopic experiences. Developers at Telltale were very talented. Think I would play it on my projector in the mean time.
Jan 15, 2021 @ 2:04am 
Hmmm... I'm not sure what might be happening there. I went back to refresh my memory, and the Telltale fix ended up being adding support to 3Dmigoto for CreateSwapChainForHwnd variant, which is pretty common now.

For HelixVision use, I don't understand why you are adding in VirtualDesktop? The best way to run HelixVision is to the VR Display Profile so that the game itself runs in Discover/Anglyph mode, windowed. While inside HelixVision, the Discover mode is not seen, the buffer is captured before the colorization, so inside VR it's fully, undamaged, color.

Crashing at Alt-Tab for full screen is not all that uncommon, which is why windowed is best if you can get Discover mode working windowed. Most DX11 games work windowed in Discover.

It might be worth commenting out the SBS shader from loading, it doesn't work in all games, and is completely unnecessary for any HelixVision use.
Just when I was about to give up. Its working! Will see which setting is causing the crashes because I disabled a few. This is definitely the ultimate way to enjoy this series.

It seems when VR isn't part of the pipeline you have to use "Force Full Screen on game start 1" for active 3d. When VR is part this has to be deactivated and Anaglyph needs to be active as you mentioned. Could have sworn I've tried it :/ So the only down side on my part is I wont be able to record while playing. Which is not a big issue. I would have settled for a much less immersive experience. Im really glad it was not such a big hassle. You might want to test this for yourself and perhaps add it to the curated list. A New Frontier was much more problematic but if the core of its problems could be isolated it might be added there too. These are great and unique VR experiences.

Are there any chances the dx9 versions of these engines would be able to get into Katanga? Then the whole Walking Dead series could be added. Or the whole Telltale franchise. This might be a really good marketing strategy for HelixVision when its more polished since it doesn't really include a lot of horse power and doesn't have a lot of motion that could cause discomfort. It might even work on standalone headsets if the developers optimise it.
Jan 16, 2021 @ 8:33pm 
Originally posted by KoelMeester:
Just when I was about to give up. Its working! Will see which setting is causing the crashes because I disabled a few. This is definitely the ultimate way to enjoy this series.

It seems when VR isn't part of the pipeline you have to use "Force Full Screen on game start 1" for active 3d. When VR is part this has to be deactivated and Anaglyph needs to be active as you mentioned. Could have sworn I've tried it :/ So the only down side on my part is I wont be able to record while playing. Which is not a big issue. I would have settled for a much less immersive experience. Im really glad it was not such a big hassle. You might want to test this for yourself and perhaps add it to the curated list. A New Frontier was much more problematic but if the core of its problems could be isolated it might be added there too. These are great and unique VR experiences.

Are there any chances the dx9 versions of these engines would be able to get into Katanga? Then the whole Walking Dead series could be added. Or the whole Telltale franchise. This might be a really good marketing strategy for HelixVision when its more polished since it doesn't really include a lot of horse power and doesn't have a lot of motion that could cause discomfort. It might even work on standalone headsets if the developers optimise it.
Ah right. You'd want the regular 3D Vision because of the ability to record. Anaglyph would record that way.

For the DX9 versions of the engines, it's worth trying. The DX9 connection is not as reliable, but works in roughly 50% of the games that we try. Doesn't look like I've tested these, I always leave myself comments in the info.ini file in the VR section if I test and it doesn't work. Please try it out and see if you have any luck.
Originally posted by Bo3b:
Ah right. You'd want the regular 3D Vision because of the ability to record. Anaglyph would record that way.

For the DX9 versions of the engines, it's worth trying. The DX9 connection is not as reliable, but works in roughly 50% of the games that we try. Doesn't look like I've tested these, I always leave myself comments in the info.ini file in the VR section if I test and it doesn't work. Please try it out and see if you have any luck.
Not too fond on anaglyph. I recently had to play This War of Mine this way because no other methods worked even for regular 3D. When you get anaglyph output you could use Virtual Desktop's anaglyph. Its the only game I've found plausible so far. Other games the contrast is too high and it causes a lot of eye strain. In VR i would not recommend it. For a viewing/marketing experience Im not too sure how poplar this still is globally? Id rather use CMU or CM than this. The only game i've played in fake 3D on VR up till now was Command & Conquer 3 with SuperDepth3d. Which is still a lot better than pancake.

Just finished the first episode of TWD Final season. Man, there is nothing like this! Definitely on my top 10! Every season you think there is no way they could match or top this but they simply come back every time with a big bang. Im still so pissed Telltale was destroyed.

I've not been able to get any luck or hope with the first and second season or Game of Thrones in HelixVision. Think there are too many "blackholes" in Helixmod or this combination. But they worked almost flawless in Tridef. There is no way to get a legal copy for Tridef. So its not really a recommendable VR expierience. And I don't want to cause trouble when their code might be the last hope for 30 series cards and later. If i remember correctly DarkStarSword is from Australia right? Wouldn't he have a big advantage to try and get hold of the developers at DDD? Since he is from there and into shaders I cant think of a better person to try and persuade them.
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
Per page: 1530 50