ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

ACE COMBAT 8: WINGS OF THEVE

View Stats:
The game MAXES out memory usage...even on the menus!
CPU: Intel 9700k
GPU: RTX 4070
RAM: 16 GB
Windows 10

Really bummed out by this,

I can't even make it through the menus to play the actual game because its so sluggish. After I hit play in steam it takes nearly 10 minutes to load on just a black screen. Eventually the shader comp screen comes up and that takes a few more minutes, then I finally start hitting the menus and everything is unusably slow.

I checked performance monitor only to see that the game is maxing out the RAM on my system. Just sitting at the main menu! No idea why this would be the case. I have 16 GB of RAM. Its not a ton, but I have never had any issues like this before. I've tried re-installing the graphics drivers, verifying game files and a few other things to no avail. I have never had an issue this bad with a big game before. Really disappointing.

Anyone out there in the same boat? Anyone found a fix? I've spent a few hours troubleshooting this and sadly I might have to refund it =(
< >
Showing 1-15 of 42 comments
Hehehe, wait until you see that in cutscenes you get merely 47 FPS while you get over 100 in game...
Yeah similar situation here.
The first time around, I managed to get it working but it took around 3-5 minutes just to load up the first mission. I have similar specs to you.

No idea what's going on.
The games active memory is not that high, it however caches a lot so you'll want a decent size pagefile on your fastest disk. I've only seen it go to 17GB active once in a cutscene (ultra settings), normally in gameplay it sits around 12GB active with another 10GB in standby.

If you have a fast nvme ssd this shouldn't be a problem. If you don't well..
At this point I can't even load a mission. Something is definitely broken here.
XD I’ve seen it go from about 22gb on the menus to shooting uo to 32gb as soon as I try to start the mission. And then I get a I’m out of system memory error….yet I have 48gb of ram. 🙃🙃🙃
just really dissapointing performance and issues with memory, did no one qa test this stuff beyond the computers they had in the dev room?
Can't even play first mission after selecting difficulty and almost instant out of memory system crash.
Really hope this gets ironed out soon, no doubt in my mind cracked versions of this game will have 10x better performance and stability, which isn't fair to paying customers.
I feel scammed.
i heard UE5 is causing a RAM leak? that might be it? (i'm a bit braindead with computer stuff for AAA/AA games so idk though, i like only play indie games rn)
Originally posted by Shibe:
The games active memory is not that high, it however caches a lot so you'll want a decent size pagefile on your fastest disk. I've only seen it go to 17GB active once in a cutscene (ultra settings), normally in gameplay it sits around 12GB active with another 10GB in standby.

If you have a fast nvme ssd this shouldn't be a problem. If you don't well..
UE5, destroyer of SSDs.
What fixed it for me was moving the game to my drive that is a NVMe.
It's a bug with the EAC implementation - I've got a support thread open with them, bypassing EAC solves it, did a bunch of ETW traces etc etc and submitted to them, so hopefully it helps them sort it. Nutshell is EAC is meant to scan a certain subset of files, but it's not bounded properly so it's scanning the entire 130+gb install - it ignores ACZ too, just the AC8 files. Just an EAC misconfiguration basically.
i know it likely won't happen but i'd love it on steam deck, AC7 was amazing, the controls felt so satisfying, i'd love to get that same feeling with AC8
Just add another 16GB of RAM and call it a day. Some people really struggle to solve the simplest problems. 32GB is becoming the standard for demanding games, so maybe it's time for an upgrade instead of blaming the game.
Originally posted by Shibe:
The games active memory is not that high, it however caches a lot so you'll want a decent size pagefile on your fastest disk. I've only seen it go to 17GB active once in a cutscene (ultra settings), normally in gameplay it sits around 12GB active with another 10GB in standby.

If you have a fast nvme ssd this shouldn't be a problem. If you don't well..
I have the game installed on a 1TB M2 drive, I don't think this is the issue
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
It's a bug with the EAC implementation - I've got a support thread open with them, bypassing EAC solves it, did a bunch of ETW traces etc etc and submitted to them, so hopefully it helps them sort it. Nutshell is EAC is meant to scan a certain subset of files, but it's not bounded properly so it's scanning the entire 130+gb install - it ignores ACZ too, just the AC8 files. Just an EAC misconfiguration basically.
EAC? ETW? I am not familiar with these terms, could you elaborate?
Easy Anti Cheat. They configured it wrong, so instead of scanning 1.6gb roughly of files, it's scanning the whole 130+gb repeatedly. So it's hammering your drive I/O by mistake. That's why for some folks popping it to an NVME fight relieve it, with faster I/O, but it's absolutely not intended behaviour.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 42 comments
Per page: 1530 50