HelixVision

HelixVision

Windows Update shoot an arrow in my knee - Display Driver
So for the first time in my live, Windows just went away and updated my display driver on its own. Noticed only when FixManager pointed it out in the driver tab, then confirmed it in the Windows update history. This going to cost me a lot time to roll back, so that 3DVision compatibility is restored...

Usually I disable the option to let drivers automatically update by Windows Update. But now I cant find that option anymore. After google how to block driver updates, I came to think Microsoft must have removed or changed this setting. Thats why I have this issue now closely after a major Windows10 upgrade.

Did someone already went through this same problem and could solve it? Namingly "how to exclude (graphic) driver updates by windows update"
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
Jan 12, 2021 @ 4:55pm 
This is one of the more annoying aspects of Windows now, the assumption that newer is always better and forcing software on us that we may not want.  Software isn't that clear, newer is not always better.

You can easily go back to 452.06 by going to the Driver tab, and using the button there to download and install the 452.06 Standard driver.  This will typically be a fast and simple operation, and probably does not need a reboot.

Windows has some mechanism to stop force feeding you drivers after a couple of reversions, but it's not clear how it works.  One way to simply limit the installs is to switch your networking to 'metered'.  It will at least respect that switch and not download stuff without your permission.
I used that button to try to install the 452.06 driver and it said the install failed because the driver was not compatible with my version of windows. Is that expected at the moment?
Originally posted by Booyah:
I used that button to try to install the 452.06 driver and it said the install failed because the driver was not compatible with my version of windows. Is that expected at the moment?


I also encountered the same error; currently running Windows 10 version 20H2, OS Build 19042.631 .
Originally posted by Booyah:
I used that button to try to install the 452.06 driver and it said the install failed because the driver was not compatible with my version of windows. Is that expected at the moment?
That is because the fix manager provides the installation of the 'standard' driver. NVidea mentions that it is not possible to install a standard over a DCH driver. So I guess you have a DCH driver on your machine (it is displayed in the system information submenu in NVidea System Settings

For my part I could revert things, but as already expected took me few hours and it was not easy. But I'm very glad FixManager offers the option to install the stereoscopic driver (even though you need to uninstall it before you can reinstall it), because that particular driver is not included in 452.06 package anymore
Jan 13, 2021 @ 6:22pm 
Originally posted by bigjew222:
Originally posted by Booyah:
I used that button to try to install the 452.06 driver and it said the install failed because the driver was not compatible with my version of windows. Is that expected at the moment?
I also encountered the same error; currently running Windows 10 version 20H2, OS Build 19042.631 .
What driver do you guys have installed presently?

Our mechanism should work here, even if you have a DCH driver installed. But Microsoft and NVidia broke all of this for about a year. Drivers from somewhere around 430 to 445 would not let you switch between DCH and Standard and would put up the fake/misleading/wrong error message.

If you uninstall your driver manually, and let windows auto-update to something, I think that our 452.06 override will work.
I currently have the GeForce 461.09 drivers
Jan 15, 2021 @ 6:14pm 
Originally posted by Booyah:
I currently have the GeForce 461.09 drivers
OK, thanks for the info. I would definitely expect our automatic driver install from the Drivers tab to work there, even if the driver installed is DCH. I just did this test yesterday from a force-fed 461.09, but I don't know if the installed driver was DCH or not.

Always possible that Microsoft+NVidia went back to breaking this.

If you do a DDU uninstall of that driver, I'm sure it will work.

You can also use the DCH version of the 452.06 driver. We don't have a direct link to that, but if you install that version it will work correctly in HelixVision. We prefer the Standard driver because it is more reliable and also the DCH driver introduces a 3 second lag on launches, but DCH will work.
Originally posted by Bo3b:
Originally posted by Booyah:
You can also use the DCH version of the 452.06 driver. We don't have a direct link to that, but if you install that version it will work correctly in HelixVision.
Thats what I did too and I can confirm HV works with that. That particular driver is available on the NVidia page in the archieved driver section, look out for "Beta and Older Drivers" link. They let you select by a dropdown if you want the standard or DCH driver (together with a short explanation whats this DCH is about anyway). After that you need to install die S3D driver trough HV too.

However, thats all just a temporary solution with this older drivers. Newer revisions of the same driver family wont ever work with Helix, right?

Also if I were able to get a RTX3000 series card, then its over with NV 3Vision forever?
Jan 16, 2021 @ 8:21pm 
Originally posted by Laiden:
Thats what I did too and I can confirm HV works with that. That particular driver is available on the NVidia page in the archieved driver section, look out for "Beta and Older Drivers" link. They let you select by a dropdown if you want the standard or DCH driver (together with a short explanation whats this DCH is about anyway). After that you need to install die S3D driver trough HV too.

However, thats all just a temporary solution with this older drivers. Newer revisions of the same driver family wont ever work with Helix, right?

Also if I were able to get a RTX3000 series card, then its over with NV 3Vision forever?
At least for the time being that is correct. We don't presently have a solution for DX11 on any driver newer than 452.06. DX9, Vulkan, OpenGL all still work on any driver. We are still investigating this problem, have not given up just yet.

The newer video cards are where NVidia destroyed the 3D rendering path altogether for DX11. The code has been completely removed when they introduced the new cards. Strangely, the DX9 path still exists and works.

If we cannot resolve the driver problem, we won't ever have DX11 compatibility with 30x0 or later cards. There will likely be other options like TriDef, iZ3D, and maybe z-buffer 3D, but the 3D Vision path would be dead, removing access to our 500 or so HelixMods for DX11.
Oh, I have a 3080. Does that mean it just won't work in general?
Jan 17, 2021 @ 11:56pm 
Originally posted by Booyah:
Oh, I have a 3080. Does that mean it just won't work in general?
Yes, sorry. That's why it says the 452.06 is not compatible, because it predates that generation of video cards. This explains why you were seeing the error, it didn't have to do with the DCH problem.

DX9, Vulkan, OpenGL fixes will still work, but no DX11 game will work on a 3080.
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
Per page: 1530 50