Half-Life 2: Deathmatch

Half-Life 2: Deathmatch

Who should be apart of the new Community Moderators and 'Admin' tream of Half-Life 2: Deathmatch?
Both Valve and Steam Support would prefer that paid Steam Moderators should NOT need to deal with so many tickets and community disruptions for the smaller and not-so-profitable Source games, so I think we should come to a consensus on at least 1 community-respected Admin for these discussions boards and the Official Hl2dm Group-Chat.

I would nominate 'SpeedVoltage' aka Peter Brev, who I have mentioned elsewhere.

Peter has been the pillar of professionalism and support for hl2dm's coders, mappers, and entire development community. Literally everyone respects him, and NO ONE can ever claim he has been a disruption or involved in any 'drama' whatsoever. There is NO negative about this guy, and I think the vast majority of my fellow hl2dm server operators would agree.

And... someone like me is NOT mod/admin material, that much should be obvious.

But Peter seems like the guy Valve could 'name' for leading and managing the community mod team, and I would trust his judgment in naming community 'officers' or sub-moderators to help hl2dm receive the moderation and care it deserves from the respected leaders of our shared community.

To my knowledge, such a position is NOT a paid one from Valve, but this would save their current mod team a LOT of productivity, as Peter's judgment would prove to be far more efficient. And he has a track record that Valve can clearly see.

Besides Peter being the one who names new mods and 'officers' - who should he consider for filling those positions?

This is not a contest; this topic is just meant to server as a place Valve can look at for ideas, so please don't feel any pressure to name and promote anyone. Yes, I just did that with Peter, but that’s because he might try and say "no" to this idea; and I really, really hope you guys can help me convince him to say yes.

He has poured a lot of productive energy into hl2dm, so we can all trust him.

And I thank everyone* else for still putting some positive energy into this unique game of ours... even Steph... ugh...

Anywho, Happy Fragging,
~ Stephen “The New Guy” M.K

EDIT: Also - as a 'rule' for this thread --> you cannot nominate 'yourself' in these discussions. Someone else should do it for you, and then you can respond to what they had to say and if you want to put forth the efforts.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 35 comments
As for my own suggestions for who Peter should choose to work with, this will sound familiar...

But Humam and Henky would do well to be on the Mod team for app320 / Half-Life 2: Deathmatch. They did a fine job at VG, especially when dealing with 'abrasive' individuals like myself.

Henky is well known for authoring what is - quite possibly - the most popular guide in the source community, and Humam already does ticket-work professionally while being an adorable 'duck.'

Henky's Guide:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2502626384

And Humam's 'duck' stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUPpzGsZ1Yk

Feel free to mention why they should or should not be apart of our community team, but I have a feeling no one will hate on them.
So uh, you are nominating your map to be a moderator? I kinda get the feeling you posted that in the wrong place, but it's fine. Your map is impressive for someone's 'first' Source Engine map, but we are not speaking of mapping in this thread right now.

Humam and Peter did make some good maps, and Henky did develop a good map-protection system for BouncyBall co-op.
i agree with peter brev and/or henky
Originally posted by The New Guy™:
So uh, you are nominating your map to be a moderator? I kinda get the feeling you posted that in the wrong place, but it's fine. Your map is impressive for someone's 'first' Source Engine map, but we are not speaking of mapping in this thread right now.

Humam and Peter did make some good maps, and Henky did develop a good map-protection system for BouncyBall co-op.

The protection system credit would go to the FT guys, they thought me how to do it and krassell is the main brain behind the automation to do it within a few seconds. I did invent my own ones to prior, but those have been cracked.

Map wise I was never good with brush work, but I did make my own wave based gamemode where you fight against hordes of NPC's without respawn ability. If you did respawn the map would switch you to combine and then you get to grenade the rebels. The co-op players didn't like it as much so it was eventually removed from rotation to keep the pace up.

A similar old map of mine would make you build your own base out of props and then the NPC"s would try to demolish the props, if everyone at once was dead it was a game over.

So I dabbled in mapping in the past but its not something I am known for. That would be my servers Bouncyball, VG and contributions to Socal#1 (Not #2 that one is by Peter, it just runs on my backend stack since the rest of the box does).

And of course on the forum I invented the first and most effective method against the spam servers.

Just know that if I do end up getting that role ill be moderating it neutrally since that position would force me to. So the goal would be getting rid of the disruptive behavior mainly.
Ohhhh yeah. I almost forgot about Krassell. I only spoke with him twice, but he seems like a no-nonsense guy who would make a good mod; although, he would probably say he'd need to be compensated for his limited free time. Peter will probably try to say the same thing, but that's why even this small game could still have a relatively large team of 'free' user mods, with all mods being publicly visible. That's how it works in other, actually popular games. These guys could still be compensated for like 1-day a week in order to handle the limited traffic this game sees, but even just that would be some effective protection from botnet trolls.

A lot of 'troublesome' topics here would do well to just be locked and users warned about any 'spam' - which the current Steam mods already don't put in the effort to do. Randomly assigned mods will not have the context or a reason to care. And others... well... yeah. They seem really eager to help certain users more than others, which is why the current system needs to change.
You are thinking about the wrong type of moderator.
my 24/24 mapping game my time it s time 2 time my pc 24/24 my screen 24/24 my 24/24 next time
Yeahhh, that is starting to feel a bit deliberate at this point, and people like Peter, Humam, Xeogin, and all the other players* who have seen your work in the HL2DM discord servers (which are far more active and substantial than any Steam Platform, unfortunately) could ask you to stop or just lock you out of a single thread; although, I don't think Valve gives the moderators of Steam Discussions any of those extra tools or options for their own games.

Oh, right, and I am sure Peter would ask someone like Xeogin to be a visible community mod here as well. I forgot to mention that guy sooner.

Anywho, the point being, Onailag - yes - your mapping project is cool, but you are borderline brigading a thread about your map, when it's meant to be about nominating Community Mods. This is not a mapping thread, and you are more likely to get a discussion on that topic at the Hammer Editor Development Group (HEDG) or Viperbird's mapping server. Feel free to test the perfect jump pads I posted there, in Viperbird's discord. They could work well in this map of yours.

But, again, this thread is about suggesting, mentioning, questioning, and vetting our 'nominated' Community Mods. And I do understand, as a fellow mapper, how building stuff feels cool, but this is not the right Steam Discussions topic to mention it.

And nuances like this are precisely why hl2dm would be better off with mods who understand their fellow community members and their intentions or motivations, which allows for better decisions towards moderation overall. And their decisions would be publicly visible and accountable, but I digress.

So... back to the topic of this thread... how do you feel about Mr. Peter Brev, specifically, Onailag? or anyone else I have mentioned?

EDIT: Also, Onailag, I apologize for my dyslexia sometimes requiring a lot of edits and corrections to my spelling and/or grammar - which can make it difficult for you to translate.

And, to be clear "Mod" in this context = Moderator of content. It's not a mod of a Source game or map, and the people who do "modify" Source engine games or make maps are called "Developers," with Moderators being people who 'police' how players behave here and on other official platforms of public discourse.
my real dimention map 7.520 kilometres ²
All those people you listed are extremely biased. They have been hating on Fastpath for years (including Peter Brev and Xeogin, they just almost never post about it) and have been friends with you and other long time posters on here for over a decade

Letting any HL2DM community member moderate these forums is just gonna lead to moderation that's based on their personal history with that person, and probably to them doing things like leaking screenshots of any Fastpath users their reports to their non-mod friends over discord.
This is hl2dm, and while I am the most recognizable figure in this game (which can cause* less-knowledgeable people to assume things,) I have never been a Steam friend of Xeogin. And, during the Patrick & Proactiv drama years, Xeogin was actively curt and distant towards me, but we don't need to get into that drama. Everyone knows me either directly or by reputation, and that most certainly does NOT make anyone my 'friend.'

Many of them do respect my knowledge, such as how to make a good competitive DM map or some 'perfect' transitions within levels, but that hardly makes them apart of any 'newguy camp.' They have seen my efforts over decades.

And does Google's AI hate on FastPath? And ChatGPT? Or do they just read the reports of the truth? Becasue it seems everyone 'hates' on FastPath, except the people directly benefiting from their schemes. And that can be seen here:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/300/discussions/0/583933421007643980/#c569297137117097310

And why would FastPath deserve any consideration, considering all the rules they break? and the bots they farm? FastPath is not a legitimate part of ANY Source Engine community. But then again, this is not a thread about FastPath. They already lost.

And what do you mean by the leaking of screenshots? Sharing materials like that over official Steam channels is already a current practice by Steam moderation, when they collaborate with community members, such as when being shown evidence of stalking by Steam users on other Social Media platforms. To be clear, those paid Steam Mods can (and would) still look into how these proposed community mods would behave, but more in a supervisory role. It's the basic, first-level mods that need replacing.

But I do find it funny how you mention Mods having a 'investment' in other members or communities being an issue. I would think publicly labeled mods would be able to be examined for such 'bias' far easier than the current system.

So no. Plenty of people are anti-newguy, and yet all of them, myself, and everyone who might 'like' me is unanimous on FastPath, which is why the developers of Fistful of Frags blacklisted them back in 2021, for instance. But again, this is not a FastPath discussion. we have other topics for that. Thanks.

So, besides your anti-FastPath angle, can you name any specific thing any of these suggested mods have done that could be seen as disqualifying for consideration as a moderator?
Originally posted by Your Boi:
All those people you listed are extremely biased. They have been hating on Fastpath for years (including Peter Brev and Xeogin, they just almost never post about it) and have been friends with you and other long time posters on here for over a decade

Do you actually know Peter Brev, Humam, Xeogin etc, no?
What makes you qualified to judge them considering your own bias.

Edited to Amend wording
Originally posted by B.n.B Steve:
Do you actually know Peter Brev, Humam, Xeogin etc, no? well stop attacking people you have no clue about.
Technically, he was not attacking; he was 'suppose-ing' on behalf a thrid-party, such as FastPath. But hypotheticals are not valid for drawing conclusions in any argument, and publicly decrying FastPath has been justified "for years;" however, the reasons for this don't 'need' to be discussed here, right now. I would talk about all that in one of the more relevant threads though.

We need to see real and observable reasons for anyone to be actively considered or disqualified as mods. And all the developers I mentioned have a great track record, but someone like the user you are responding to could very well uncover something worth considering. And I do hope they help in that regard.

And accusing users of 'acting improperly' could open you to a community message from sub-standard Steam mods, most of whom need AI tools to translate and understand posts or tickets. I am not saying you are in violation of anything, but it 'might' be seen as such to some 'faceless' Steam employees.

EDIT: Yeah, that's a fine way to fix it. I'll leave my quote though for transparency. We should see the edit history anyhow, and I hope mods do already.
Originally posted by The New Guy™:
Both Valve and Steam Support would prefer that paid Steam Moderators should NOT need to deal with so many tickets and community disruptions for the smaller and not-so-profitable Source games, so I think we should come to a consensus on at least 1 community-respected Admin for these discussions boards and the Official Hl2dm Group-Chat.

I would nominate 'SpeedVoltage' aka Peter Brev, who I have mentioned elsewhere.

Peter has been the pillar of professionalism and support for hl2dm's coders, mappers, and entire development community. Literally everyone respects him, and NO ONE can ever claim he has been a disruption or involved in any 'drama' whatsoever. There is NO negative about this guy, and I think the vast majority of my fellow hl2dm server operators would agree.

And... someone like me is NOT mod/admin material, that much should be obvious.

But Peter seems like the guy Valve could 'name' for leading and managing the community mod team, and I would trust his judgment in naming community 'officers' or sub-moderators to help hl2dm receive the moderation and care it deserves from the respected leaders of our shared community.

To my knowledge, such a position is NOT a paid one from Valve, but this would save their current mod team a LOT of productivity, as Peter's judgment would prove to be far more efficient. And he has a track record that Valve can clearly see.

Besides Peter being the one who names new mods and 'officers' - who should he consider for filling those positions?

This is not a contest; this topic is just meant to server as a place Valve can look at for ideas, so please don't feel any pressure to name and promote anyone. Yes, I just did that with Peter, but that’s because he might try and say "no" to this idea; and I really, really hope you guys can help me convince him to say yes.

He has poured a lot of productive energy into hl2dm, so we can all trust him.

And I thank everyone* else for still putting some positive energy into this unique game of ours... even Steph... ugh...

Anywho, Happy Fragging,
~ Stephen “The New Guy” M.K

EDIT: Also - as a 'rule' for this thread --> you cannot nominate 'yourself' in these discussions. Someone else should do it for you, and then you can respond to what they had to say and if you want to put forth the efforts.
I vote for PlayBoy31.fr. A pillar of the community and an all-round good guy.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 35 comments
Per page: 1530 50